The Legend of Zelda

Stevo985

So, in the "games with a great single player" thread, a small discussion started about Zelda, and I wanted to continue it as it's my favourtie gaming series ever, but didn't want to derail that thread any further.

So thought I'd start a new topic.

Has anyone played any of the DS versions of Zelda?

After completing The Twilight Princess I'm gagging for some more Zelda gaming, so was looking at buying "The Phantom Hourglass" and borrowing my sister's DS for a bit, so was wondering if anyone's had any good/bad experiences of it. Reviews look decent enough for it.

I've still got Zelda 2 to keep me occupied, but it's very difficult, and not that great, so wanted to gof or this instead.

Apparently, they're remaking Ocarina of Time for the 3DS. I consider Ocarina of Time to be the only game I'ver ever played that's pretty much perfect, so that pleases me. Almost makes me want a 3DS...almost.

Also, new Wii Zelda (The Skyward Sword) is scheduled for release this year.

I was a SNES teenager so I lived on games like Marioworld, Pilotwings and Zelda: Link to the past.

I still have dreams where the scenes are from these incredible games. Unfortunately I got to the point in my life where I didn't have a lot of time to play the later Zeldas but I may go back now and try again, as even Link to the past on Wii virtual console is still brilliant.

I remember the feeling of getting the master sword and going around to get all the people who had previously stiffed me :)

I've never actually played a Zelda game, bar one. I didn't even finish it.

It was on the GBA and involved you waking up after passing out in some weird house, then you go outside and get a sword, you can chop the grass and find some rupees, fish for a bit, there is a big 'dog' (it's just a ball on some chain) outside a shop, a beach down south.

You end up collecting items and trading them to continue (i.e. you get a banana and use it to get the monkey to make you a bridge). Link's Awakening I think.

z131229741.png

Like I said, never completed it.

Ocarina of Time and Windwaker are as close to being the perfect single player games as you're ever likely to get. Apart from the **** water temple level, of course, which sucked mouldy monkey bollocks. I just couldn't get into the first Zelda game on the Wii, as it wasn't a patch on what went before, so never finished it.

Still yet to complete The Wind Waker, doing little bits every day but still not very far in at all. Brilliant game though.

Only played the original Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. The always remember the original being impossibly hard!

Yeh the original was ridiculously difficult. I managed to complete it on an emulator not so long ago, but I had to use a walkthrough. The last temple is nearly impossible.

I really think the Twilight Princess is up there with the best of them. To me it just feels like an updated OCarina of time. The world is much the same but much expanded, and the switch between wolf and human is also similar to the switch between old and young Link in OoT

And I agree Risso, I hate water temples.

But water levels in any game are the worst levels. Everybody hates water levels.

(The water temple in Majora's Mask was especially tough I thought)

First time I ever played a Zelda game was Link to the Past and I loved every minute of it. Have been hooked on the series ever since. Twilight Princess is excellent and have to go back and play Majora's Mask and Wind Waker again but the pinnacle for me is Ocarina of Time. The Shadow Temple and the Well are two of the most atmospheric and eerie gaming experiences. Fantastic.

Link's Awakening I think.

z131229741.png

Like I said, never completed it.

This was one of the first games I had on the GB, loved it. There was a really simple cheat where, as you moved from one screen to the next, and pressed 'select' you would warp to the end of the next screen. Which meant you could bypass bosses and puzzles you couldnt do :D Although it also meant you could get stuck in walls and stuff...I imagine they probably fixed this in the GBA version.

Seeing as you never finished it though, and seeing as it is now very very old, I'll just out and tell you - IT WAS ALL A DREAM :lol:

as i said in the original discussion, i played a link to the past to death, played awakening when it got re-released on GBA, then i had a huge gap (didnt like the N64) played WW a fair bit which i liked but by then id figured out the IMO outdated dungeon gameplay and id flogged my GC by the time TP came out and pretty much the same as OoT and the 64 no matter how good the next one is i wont be buying a wii for it

should really look at some of the DS games (but then the list of DS games i should try playing is huge)

Ocarina of Time 3D includes Master Quest

We still know surprisingly little about the remake of Nintendo's most highly-acclaimed game, in particular whether there will be any substantial new content beyond revamped graphics and some control and level design tweaks.

But speaking to Conservative New Media (don't ask us) in a YouTube interview Nintendo of America's PR manager David Young confirmed that the game would include the Master Quest - previously only ever released on a bonus disc that came with GameCube game The Wind Waker.

Master Quest was originally intended as an expansion to the original Ocarina Of Time on the Nintendo 64. But it was designed to work for the weird 64DD peripheral and when that never got released neither did Master Quest.

An alternative version of the original game, Master Quest uses the same graphics and basic plot as Ocarina Of Time, but rearranges the dungeons and increases the difficulty.

Whether there'll be any wholly original additions to Ocarina Of Time 3D we don't know, but Nintendo did recently pin down its release date to sometime in June - in the U.S. at least.

Nice. I played the Gamecube version of OoT which came with WW, as I also avoided the N64 like the plague

so are you saying you've never played Ocarina of Time?

yeah like i said in the previous thread zelda should be a 2d game IMO, i think i played it for all of 5 minutes in makro once muttered "that aint right" and walked away, metroid on the GC and mario 64 got even less play time

yeah like i said in the previous thread zelda should be a 2d game IMO, i think i played it for all of 5 minutes in makro once muttered "that aint right" and walked away, metroid on the GC and mario 64 got even less play time

You're missing out.

As I said elsewhere, it's as close to a perfect game as I've ever played.

You're missing out.

As I said elsewhere, it's as close to a perfect game as I've ever played.

Definitely missing out. Same goes for Metroid Prime and Mario 64, awesome games.

Zelda games are awesome, but the Mario series are the best.

Marioworld SNES - Brilliantly playable even now. Donut Land, that music near Bowser's end castle, Cheese Bridge etc. wow.

Mario64 - Astounding paradigm shift in games. Took guts to do a 3d platformer but it rocked and still does. The scenes are still incredible.

Mario Galaxy / 2 - Uses every last bit of the Wii's hardware to incredible effect, and fully exploits the control system.

I'm undecided which of those 3 is the best game of all time.

Loved Mario 64. mario Galaxy is another game I got but never completed. Will have to get round to it at some point.

They pale in comparison to Zelda though, imo of course.

Â