The Legend of Zelda

Stevo985

We had a bloke trade in a load of pretty much mint old school Zelda games the other day.

A Link to the Past SNES and GBA versions, the original and DX versions of Links Awakening, and on a less old school note, Twilight Princess Gamecube edition, which is rare as ****. And original guides for the older lot.

OOT is the greatest Zelda game but Majora's Mask should probably get more love. Both have aged horrendously though, like many N64 titles. Links Awakening remains up there too, I enjoyed it more than ALTTP.

We had a bloke trade in a load of pretty much mint old school Zelda games the other day.

A Link to the Past SNES and GBA versions, the original and DX versions of Links Awakening, and on a less old school note, Twilight Princess Gamecube edition, which is rare as ****. And original guides for the older lot.

OOT is the greatest Zelda game but Majora's Mask should probably get more love. Both have aged horrendously though, like many N64 titles. Links Awakening remains up there too, I enjoyed it more than ALTTP.

I don't know, I played OOT around 2 years ago (albeit the master quest) and still thought it was fantastic.

Majora's mask was good, but I think it was overly complicated. I was pleased that WW and especially TP went back to more of a classic Zelda format.

Playing the original N64 incarnation of OOT still plays well enough, it's quite timeless in that respect, but looks wise it's a complete mess nowadays, blurry blocky and very aged.

Just comparing to the tarted up visuals of the 3DS iteration shows how much they've really aged in that respect. A number of N64 games now look dog rough, not gracefully aged at all.

Ok yeh i get your point there.

I did actually play banjo Kazooie recently, and I remember thinking the graphics on that were unreal!

Not so much anymore :)

OOT on the 3DS makes me want a 3DS all on it's own.

• 4 months later...

Playing Twighlight Princess at the moment.

Having not really bought a video game since the borefest that was Gran Turismo 5, this has really re-captured my enthusiasm for gaming. Graphics are a bit basic, but I can't seem to get my Wii to work properly in the 60hz output mode, so this may be why. Either way, I would recommend to anyone with a Wii.

• 2 months later...

Sold steadily, and reviewing very well. Main complaints are an absolutely woeful opening few hours, and that fact that while it's a very, very good Zelda game... it's still the same framework you've played countless times before.

i cant get gamespots review out of my head

There just aren't enough new ideas to separate Skyward Sword from its predecessors, and the few additions come with mixed results. Even with many bright spots, Skyward Sword still feels like a nostalgic retread. Those yearning for something new will be disappointed, but anyone thirsty for another exciting adventure will find plenty to enjoy here

without playing it i obviously dont have an opinion but that is almost word for word exactly what i expected it to be, and thats without them saying that the controls are shit (or at least certainly not my cup of tea)

Sold steadily, and reviewing very well. Main complaints are an absolutely woeful opening few hours, and that fact that while it's a very, very good Zelda game... it's still the same framework you've played countless times before.
to be fair they've changed the old framework quite a bit

i cant get gamespots review out of my head

There just aren't enough new ideas to separate Skyward Sword from its predecessors, and the few additions come with mixed results. Even with many bright spots, Skyward Sword still feels like a nostalgic retread. Those yearning for something new will be disappointed, but anyone thirsty for another exciting adventure will find plenty to enjoy here

without playing it i obviously dont have an opinion but that is almost word for word exactly what i expected it to be, and thats without them saying that the controls are shit (or at least certainly not my cup of tea)

the controls are flawless. Pity it took so long

Twilight Princess set the standard for 5 years of waggle. For the most part, you may as well have been pressing a button from what I remember. All that it really added was 'proper' aiming ala light guns.

to be fair they've changed the old framework quite a bit

Have they? Pretty much nothing I've heard suggests any real change to the Zelda framework thats been there since day one. Asides from minor stuff like what appears to be a totally superfluous upgrade system and a missing boomerang, so I'd be interested to hear whats changed.

I love Zelda games but Twilight Princess left me a bit cold. The series started to feel a bit tired, and as Chindie alludes to the Wii controls felt a bit superfluous. Saying that Windwaker is still my favourite game on any platform ever.

I never did play Twilight Princess with waggle (refused to rather) and played it on the Gamecube. Skyward Sword definitely has my attention as I do enjoy Zelda games but I'll need to invsest in a new Wii Remote as none of mine have motion plus in them. For that reason (and Skyrim), I'm holding off a bit until it comes down in price.

I actually think TP is the best Zelda game. Obviously, in terms of when they were released, Ocarina of Time is the best game.

But TP, ignoring timing, is basically OoT but better, bigger, looks nicer etc

Chindie's right. The Franework has changed very little. But it changes little because it works so well.

Â