The Legend of Zelda

Stevo985

I'm hopefully getting the Skyward Sword next month for xmas... along with a 3DS and Ocarina of Time (don't know whether to get the special edition 3DS though with the Zelda stencil design (I'll be probably buying this myself!!). I really liked Twilight Princess but Wind Waker for me was the best one recently. Loved that game so much and the cel-shaded graphics made it that more awesome.

A finished Wind Waker would be a great game. The one they released had a charm that was superb, and while the cel shading never wow-ed me it stands up remarkably well (seriously, look up the shots of it running in the Dolphin emulator, it genuinely looks good to this day), but it's final act takes the shine off it. They had intended to have a couple more dungeons in the game at the end but ended up cutting them and shoving in the terrible Triforce quest instead, which was such a bad idea even then I'm surprised they did it.

Twilight Princess is blessed with some of the best dungeons of the entire series. But it's gimmick was terrible and it had a pretty iffy halfway house incarnation of Nintendo's traditional dual world, the Wii controls felt tacked on and were the opening bell for 5 years of waggle, and it somehow managed to have it's art direction be at once uninspired in it's traditional Zelda stylings, and bizarrely ugly for the Twilight sections.

Ocarina of Time is still the one for me, swiftly followed by Links Awakening and Majora's Mask.

Twilight Princess is blessed with some of the best dungeons of the entire series. But it's gimmick was terrible and it had a pretty iffy halfway house incarnation of Nintendo's traditional dual world, the Wii controls felt tacked on and were the opening bell for 5 years of waggle, and it somehow managed to have it's art direction be at once uninspired in it's traditional Zelda stylings, and bizarrely ugly for the Twilight sections.

Ocarina of Time is still the one for me, swiftly followed by Links Awakening and Majora's Mask.

Disagree about the art direction in TP.

I thought the game looked superb.

Controls fair enough. They worked for me but can see I may be in the minority.

OoT will probably always be the best, taking everything into account. Majora's Mask is a c controversial shout though. Probably my least favourite Zelda game since Zelda 2 (although still very good. A bad Zelda game can still be brilliant)

My problem with Twilight Princess's looks wasn't to say it wasn't a good looking game - on a purely technical level the game, taking into account the power behind it, were fine enough for early Wii/late GC. It was more the design of it. The pure 'Zelda' sections were incredibly run of the mill, there was no real character to the designs (Skyward Sword somewhat suffers from this too from what I've seen), it was exactly what you'd get if you just decided that what you needed to do was Ocarina of Time with better fidelity. And then in the Twilight sections, the enemy design and so on was again pretty uninspired imo and at times downright ugly.

Of course that is all just subjective.

As for Majora's Mask... I liked that it was a different take on the series, its one of the most outlandish departures for the series and was delightfully weird and smart. It was still Zelda... but it was a different Zelda. And I really liked it.

• 4 weeks later...
link to the past > OoT, FF VII & SoM

I too prefer LttP over OoT although I do think favourite Zelda games amongst people boil down to fond memories when they played them over genuine critical comparison.

As for Twilight Princess, I never felt it was a poor Zelda but then I deliberately hunted down a copy of the far superior GC version in order to play it. **** the Wii port. I never understood the criticism for its art style - it was Nintendo delivering exactly what Zelda fans had asked for after they got all butthurt about the gorgeous looking Wind Waker not looking like a realistic Zelda game (whatever that means). Then same Zelda fans quickly proved they didn't know what the **** they wanted once they played it.

Skyward Swords seems pretty good so far from what I've played of it. Takes sodding ages to start though - faaaar to many dialogue interruptions.

• 4 months later...
Â