Amsterdam

mjmooney

OK, me and Mrs M are having a few days in Amsterdam in a couple of weeks (2nd - 5th March).

I know we have a few Amsterdam residents on here, so what do you recommend? Beyond the obvious stuff (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, Ann Frank, canal cruises, etc.) that the websites tell you, any good "local knowledge" tips?

(BTW, no interest in the red light district, but not necessarily averse to cannabis!)

Eat vlaamse frites with mayo. I thought the idea horrible until I tried them but they are great.

Also, there are some great stalls selling Vietnamese spring rolls in the markets. Much nicer and lighter than the Chinese equivalent.

Can't think of much else atm, my visits weren't really to sample the higher culture. More geared to the lower culture of beer and cafe society.

Can't think of much else atm, my visits weren't really to sample the higher culture. More geared to the lower culture of beer and shop window clunge.

Only in the course of my duties as a social anthropologist! Some of the things I saw were real beasts. I can only assume the 18 stone african woman who tried to call me into her parlour was catering for a niche market.

If you could find the niche in the rolls of fat.

Can't think of much else atm, my visits weren't really to sample the higher culture. More geared to the lower culture of beer and shop window clunge.

Only in the course of my duties as a social anthropologist! Some of the things I saw were real beasts. I can only assume the 18 stone african woman who tried to call me into her parlour was catering for a niche market.

If you could find the niche in the rolls of fat.

:crylaugh:

Best time to go is the last wkd in april around the 29th for Queens Day

Went there on a stag weekend earlier last year everyone wearing orange pissed up on boats was quality

There are a few good cafes the most obv being places such as The bulldog but there is a good cafe called the dolphin which is also good.

I've been. It was amazing, albeit very expensive.

I can't really add to any suggestions as most of the things I did are already suggested.

Would be worth finding a decent walking tour though. We did one and it was great. It took all day so it's a lot of walking but it was really really interesting. And it was free! All you had to do was "tip" the tour guide at the end.

Best time to go is the last wkd in april around the 29th for Queens Day

been to dam many times as my sister lives just outside there but as someone else said i dont go there for the culture. Out of all the times i've been queens day is definatly the best weekend to go.

As mad as it sounds try another city for a differnet view on it all.

Amsterdam is what it is but Haarlem is really nice and is 20 mins on the train from Centraal Station. Nice shops, clean, nice old architecture and Cathedral's. Nice stuff if you like that sort of thing.

No tramps, idiots, smack heads or Red light for a start. Has about 10 to 20 coffee shops.

If you stay on the train for another 2 stops after Haarlem you are at then at the seaside (Zandvoort, where the F1 Grand Prix used to be). Pretty small town (15k) but has a massive beech and quite a few restaurants on the beech also(Approx 25). Dunno, just a few ideas other than Amsterdam which are close and easy to get too. Has 2 coffee shops.

Â