Amsterdam

mjmooney

Went there a few years back to watch the Irish in that amazing 2-2 World Cup Qualifier.....got shot at for refusing to literally buy some drugged girl off some very grissly east europeans, drank more beer than I care to remember, saw some grotesque live sex shows including watching a 'mate' scragg some podgy african prossie, visited some very dodgy bar/cafes, took a taxi ride to the stadium driven by a psycho who should of been on suicide watch, and got nicked by the police who claimed I'd took a shit in the gutter (which I hadn't) & we missed our plane home, fortunately KLM took pity on us & put us on another flight. On the upside we did stay in The Hilton which was nice

Some of the things I saw were real beasts. I can only assume the 18 stone african woman who tried to call me into her parlour was catering for a niche market.

saw some grotesque live sex shows including watching a 'mate' scragg some podgy african prossie
Looks like somebody found her niche!

As mad as it sounds try another city for a differnet view on it all.

Amsterdam is what it is but Haarlem is really nice and is 20 mins on the train from Centraal Station. Nice shops, clean, nice old architecture and Cathedral's. Nice stuff if you like that sort of thing.

No tramps, idiots, smack heads or Red light for a start. Has about 10 to 20 coffee shops.

If you stay on the train for another 2 stops after Haarlem you are at then at the seaside (Zandvoort, where the F1 Grand Prix used to be). Pretty small town (15k) but has a massive beech and quite a few restaurants on the beech also(Approx 25). Dunno, just a few ideas other than Amsterdam which are close and easy to get too. Has 2 coffee shops.

That sounds really good, but as this is our first visit it would seem crazy not to check out the place itself first!

If/when we go again, we'll probably take your advice.

Hire a bicycle, or just take one, they are everywhere, and go for a ride. Round the canals reckon that would be good but might be a bit cold for March.

And there is a museum for everything, we did sex museum, vodka museum and torture museum.

Thought the sex museum was alright, could have been better though. Would not reconmend the vodka museum it was crap, don't know why we even did it cus the people I was with had done it before and wanted to do it again.

Heineken museum is worth a visit alone for the quality of beer u get to taste. Gauchos grill is a great steak house. There are a few of them but the one near dam square is the best. Would want to book if u were going to head there fri or sat night. Dampkring is worth a hit but amnesia is def my favourite coffee shop.

Gauchos grill is a great steak house.

Ah yes, forgot about that. Really good shout. Probably the best steak I've eaten in Europe was in one of those. Argentine beef, cooked to perfection. If you like a bit of steak, hit up on one of those bad boys.

Got to agree the dolphin is a good shout, also the Kashmir Lounge is pretty good especial weekend evenings for a smoke and music :-) maybe a bit of a walk but nothings that far in the dam (especially with a bike)

One time we got the Amsterdam Card this and just visited as much as we could, some of the smaller art galleries were great. We even got the tram to the end on the line and visited a windmill - surreal.

Other than that I think everything else has been mentioned.

Just went recently, even though you aren't keen on it you have to at least walk through the red light district. Don't waste any time with a sex show, biggest waste of money ever, so boring.
My wife would go apoplectic. Very anti-prostitution (and holds men totally responsible for it).

She's OK about drugs, though! :lol:

So what's the best advice on the getting stoned front?

I used to indulge back in the 70s and 80s, but have had hardly any since. Back then it was usually resin with tobacco, in joints constructed from normal size Rizlas stuck together.

Looking at some of the websites it seems that tobacco smoking is banned (like here), so it has to be grass? You buy by weight and roll your own, yes? As an alternative, how strong are the cakes? I recall from back in the day that eating the stuff tended to make me WAY too stoned for WAY too long - I don't want to write off my day of museum culture by sitting in a corner giggling uncontrollably for an hour! :)

I expect I'm going to feel like a right embarrassed old fart asking for the menu, too.

You don't have to smoke pure stuff, most coffee shops now will have a glass division in the shop where you can smoke cigarettes aswell as weed. <3 Loopholes! I'm no expert on weed as I don't smoke it but been there a few times with my mates who all smoke so know roughly whats going on. You can buy by weight or you can get pre rolled joints, the pre rolled ones tend to be shite though.

So what's the best advice on the getting stoned front?

I used to indulge back in the 70s and 80s, but have had hardly any since. Back then it was usually resin with tobacco, in joints constructed from normal size Rizlas stuck together.

Looking at some of the websites it seems that tobacco smoking is banned (like here), so it has to be grass? You buy by weight and roll your own, yes? As an alternative, how strong are the cakes? I recall from back in the day that eating the stuff tended to make me WAY too stoned for WAY too long - I don't want to write off my day of museum culture by sitting in a corner giggling uncontrollably for an hour! :)

I expect I'm going to feel like a right embarrassed old fart asking for the menu, too.

Last time i went to Holland i couldn't work out whether their pre-rolled splliffs had tobacco in or not, but i presume they must not have.

However reading around it sounds like some of the shops have designated smoking areas inside the establishments where you can smoke cannabis/tobacco spliffs, while others will ask you to smoke them outside. Best to just ask the propierter of the joint (excuse the pun).

I'm heading out there for the penultimate weekend in April and can't wait, it's all about smoking the hash out there for me because it's very hard to get hold of in the UK where as skunk seems ubiquitous. It's also something i can function on during the day as opposed to smoking a spilff of white widow and spanking it at midday!

Looking at some of the websites it seems that tobacco smoking is banned (like here), so it has to be grass?

Tobacco smoking was banned, like here, until they had a change of government, something that they do often. Now there is some regulation (or non-regulation) where if a bar is a certain size, the owner smokes, and he works the bar, then the punters can smoke.

Or something like that! I know that I have been in bars in Holland the last few months where everyone is smoking.

The Dutch are just crazy!!

Â