Amsterdam

mjmooney

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was good.

Plenty of walking and culture, a bit of booze and weed, good grub - loved it. The city where the 70s never ended.

Bit pricey, but still. Love the fact that among all those thousands of cyclists we didn't see ONE on a racing or mountain bike, or in a crash helmet and lycra. :thumb:

• 3 months later...

So what's the best advice on the getting stoned front?

Thought i read somewhere the other day that they are make Cannabis illegal now in a bid to stop the drug tourism

But locals can get some form of permit and carry on as before ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK guys, I'm off to Amsterdam later this month. Since I finished school, I've been every summer just to relax, and this is my fifth year in a row. I never go at weekends because I like to avoid all the stag parties etc., and tend to spend most of my time in coffee shops while I'm there. I have been to quite a few of the sights though, including Anne Frank Huis, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, and the Heineken Brewery.

Do any of you have any recommendations for someone like me? First of all, I was wondering if Amsterdam ArenA is worth a visit, and how accessible it is? And what about Haarlem? I've been recommended to go there, but I'm on a relatively tight budget and don't really know what the cost of that would be. Anything else I'm missing?

If anyone has any further coffee shop recommendations, I'm happy to hear them. I can't remember the names of most that I've been in, but I'm pretty sure I haven't tried De Dampkring yet so I'm definitely going to give that a try.

I was wondering if Amsterdam ArenA is worth a visit, and how accessible it is?

I've been to a couple of matches there and it's a nice stadium .. Bijlmer Arena is the metro station it's fairly easy to get to

they do tours all year round but I've not been on one so no idea how good / bad it is

I don't partake in the stuff one buys in "coffee shops" but opposite the Tibetan restaurant in Lange Nieze is a nice little bar that does both alcohol and the space cakes and what not so it works well if you have a mixed group of takers / non takers

Cheers Tony. The tour is €12, will probably decide when we get there whether to go for it or not. On a bit of a budget this year, so might give it a miss. That said, is there much to do in the area around the stadium? Might be worth a trip out there just to see it, being as I'll probably get a 4-day transport chip card (for the trams, which as far as I understand is also valid on the metro - I've not used it before) so it won't cost anything.

We all partake, but the restaurant sounds different; may well give it a try, as Lange Niezel isn't too far at all from where we're staying. Thanks :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going at the weekend and hoping to go to see Ajax's game against FC Zwolle.  Is our best bet going to the stadium to get tickets or I hear that you can go to a ticketbox shop?  Anyone ever used them?  there is one two minutes from our hotel so I'm thinking that would be easier than going all the way over to the ground the day before the game.

• 1 month later...

Stayed in an apartment, apartment got robbed which we were out, almost certainly an 'inside job' by the landlord (place not broken into, only our stuff stolen, nothing of the landlords).

went to the police station to report it, the police refused to log the crime, and told us to go away.

hmmmm.

Â