royalist or republican?

chrisp65

Are you a Royalist or a Republican?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Royalist or a Republican?

• I have a position somewhere between the two
    • I am supporter of a Republic
    • I am a supporter of the Royal Family
    • I couldn't care less

It's the 21st Century, anyone who thinks a royal family can have any possible relevant role in the world is either brain washed or brain dead.

Cheers mate.

I think keep the monarchy. And so do the vast majority of people in their early 20s that i know.

Grow up.

It's the 21st Century, anyone who thinks a royal family can have any possible relevant role in the world is either brain washed or brain dead.

Cheers mate.

I think keep the monarchy. And so do the vast majority of people in their early 20s that i know.

Grow up.

I find it ironic that someone who supports the monarchy also uses "majority" as part of their argument.

Cheers mate.

I think keep the monarchy. And so do the vast majority of people in their early 20s that i know.Grow up.

Hmmmm. That's slightly shakey corroborating research you are using there Sir. :winkold:

The vast majority of my friends think the Monarchy is sh*t, so ner ner. :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:

Cheers mate.

I think keep the monarchy. And so do the vast majority of people in their early 20s that i know.Grow up.

Hmmmm. That's slightly shakey corroborating research you are using there Sir. :winkold:

The vast majority of my friends think the Monarchy is sh*t, so ner ner. :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:

Also, my dad is harder than yours, and he's a black belt in karate as well, and he also thinks the Monarchy is sh*t, so ner ner ner ner ner.

:mrgreen:

One of arguments people come out with when discussing the monarchy is that they earn their keep and attract tourists to the country.

I think tourists come to see the buildings and the paraphernalia rather than the Royals themselves.

Yes, I always like this one. Go to Stratford-upon-Avon; The fact that Shakespeare is no longer their doesn't keep people away. It's the same concept, it's the history and tradition that brings in tourists, not what is actually there now. We don't need posh people with silly made up titles to attract tourists.

Lol @ whoever said Cromwell represented the people's voice. He banned music and other celebrations. He then had the audacity to call himself a Christian and servant to God after he slaughtered hundreds of innocent families including babies in the Republic of Ireland and in England.

Im proud to be British and proud to have a royal family. Many republican countries would love a monarchy.

Such as? And what academic literature are you basing this assumption on? It is a very sweeping generalisation that needs to be founded before even discussing.

No head of state should be appointed through birth. All the children of this country should be able to aspire to its highest office. They represent everything which is wrong about the class system. They are a mediaeval throwback. Most countries have moved on from such an antiquated and discredited form of inherited power. I have no doubt that eventually, if not in my lifetime, they will be consigned to the dustbin of history. The sooner the better.

My only comment on the Royals is our future king is a Villa fan

I've suggested our village holds a street party to raise funds to buy the pub etc on Royal Wedding day.

Can't say I'll be watching it that much at all, specially if its a nice day!

I'm not bothered. keep em, they bring in tourists and it gives the country a sense of history.

So we should keep a monarch to keep foreigners happy, and make a few quid. If its about money lets make Bill Gates King. Money has nothing to do with it. My pride in my countrys history has everything to do with the people of this island and nothing to do with the largely foreign monarchs who have ruled us ,and at times butchered us, in large numbers. Nothing personal against the old German currently lording it over us. But I do not regard her children as better than mine. You see it is, or should be a moral question not a fiscal one. If her children wish to be head of state, fine, let them stand for election. Now that would be interesting.

Im proud to be British and proud to have a royal family. Many republican countries would love a monarchy.

Such as?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5XhUWLxasg..

Far be it for me as an American to comment on other countries' governing arrangements, but:

* the idea of a monarchy (and the related idea of nobility, etc.) is absolutely morally abhorrent

* that said, given certain peculiarities of the Westminster system as practised in the UK, abolition of the monarchy (and of the House of Lords) is unwise unless a part of wholesale constitutional change

(my view of EU jurisdiction over the UK is also basically the same)

Cheers mate.

Also, my dad is harder than yours, and he's a black belt in karate as well, and he also thinks the Monarchy is sh*t, so ner ner ner ner ner.

:mrgreen:

My point is that many people still want a monarch, not just the over the hill brigade.

Looks like the polls showing that too.

Â