Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

7 hours ago, knoppy1987 said:

... will result in a dead blue tit. You have been warned. 

Not directed at you knoppy, your post just made me think of something. Cats are mostly beautiful creatures, but the toll they take on songbirds is horrendous. They also annoy the heck out of me when they use my garden as a toilet. I wish their owners (as with dogs) would be more responsible.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not directed at you knoppy, your post just made me think of something. Cats are mostly beautiful creatures, but the toll they take on songbirds is horrendous. They also annoy the heck out of me when they use my garden as a toilet. I wish their owners (as with dogs) would be more responsible.

Have you ever tried telling a cat what to do? It will just glare at you, swing it's tail and then tell you to **** off.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Have you ever tried telling a cat what to do? It will just glare at you, swing it's tail and then tell you to **** off.

They can be trained, their owners can fit them with collars with bells on, they can be kept indoors at times....

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

They can be trained, their owners can fit them with collars with bells on, they can be kept indoors at times....

They are cats, not dogs :) 

when I lived with my grandparents our house backed onto a big field that was full of wildlife. We had 7 cats at one point and it's fair to say we had our fair share of birds, mice and worst of all frogs. One cat of ours in particular was very good at catching big birds and he had a set of teeth on him like a lion. Apparently eating birds is good for their teeth, so that might explain that.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We had 7 cats

After my dad split up with the mother of my half brother, he moved into a tiny apartment in an old mill town in Massachusetts. He worked the night shift at a local gas station. This was before cell phones, and he disconnected his home phone so nobody could call him. He lived a hermit's life for several years there, and "owned" around 20 cats, some semi-feral. He loved cats. I think as a young kid he took refuge in the pet cats they had over the years in order to escape the drunken tyranny of my grandfather.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

After my dad split up with the mother of my half brother, he moved into a tiny apartment in an old mill town in Massachusetts. He worked the night shift at a local gas station. This was before cell phones, and he disconnected his home phone so nobody could call him. He lived a hermit's life for several years there, and "owned" around 20 cats, some semi-feral. He loved cats. I think as a young kid he took refuge in the pet cats they had over the years in order to escape the drunken tyranny of my grandfather.

Regardless of what people say cats are great company imo. My mum had two semi feral cats but unfortunately one got killed by a staffy and the other died of old age. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

9 hours ago, blandy said:

No problem at all Blandy - it's a very fair comment. For me, cats are given a pass because of how fascinating and beautiful they are. In reality, it is sad other things die for no reason other than play. 

My cat does listen to my calls and I largely keep her indoors more because of the area I live in. She does murder spiders however. She stands on one of the legs, getting it in a vice, and paws the remaining legs off. Gets bored after about 3 legs. In the summer I regularly come home to a crime scene.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, blandy said:

A safe collar is an ineffective one, as it isn't going to stay on for long; a collar that isn't easily removed is a strangle hazard. 

I try and keep mine inside as much as possible, for their own safety more so than anything else, but they got through 5 or 6 collars each before I gave up.

Edited by Davkaus

Â