Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

• 2 weeks later...

Cat has gone into hiding this evening :( She's only 5. She stopped eating her food around Thursday-ish. Maybe Wednesday. Brought her to vet Friday (you only notice the food the day after). They kept her in on a drip. Took her home Saturday. No eating up until today so back to vet who gave her 2 injections. Steroid + antibiotic. Brought her home this evening and she's now nowhere to be seen. I suspect I know where she is. She'll either turn up tomorrow if the injections worked, or she won't... Never been sick a day in her life before. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Cat has gone into hiding this evening :( She's only 5. She stopped eating her food around Thursday-ish. Maybe Wednesday. Brought her to vet Friday (you only notice the food the day after). They kept her in on a drip. Took her home Saturday. No eating up until today so back to vet who gave her 2 injections. Steroid + antibiotic. Brought her home this evening and she's now nowhere to be seen. I suspect I know where she is. She'll either turn up tomorrow if the injections worked, or she won't... Never been sick a day in her life before. 

Do you let her outdoors?

Well she was sitting in the front room this morning and eat wet food again so it seems we're back on the mend.

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Do you let her outdoors?

I do.  But she'll stay in and eat until tomorrow before she sees the backyard again.

• Like 3

Have never been in this thread before today. Am considering getting a cat, I'm not necessarily a pets person however have bought (small tiny) house in middle of nowhere surrounded by fields. 

Point is this. About to move in in next few weeks but in last few weeks have dealt with a house mice / field mice problem in loft and under floorboard (old property) with rodent control call out. All gone, for now. Was told by them, yeah a cat will sort you out round here. 

I know there are mice outside for sure as I know the sound now, some would mistake it for finch sized birds, in the bushes and hedges at the end of the garden and surrounding the house. That said, the house is on a 60mph road. Cars don't stick to 60, it's a straight Roman sort of road. 

In the next few months I'll consider it as I grew up with cats and appreciate their absolute killer instinct when it comes to bastard mice. But, am I being daft/ paranoid to think that if I got a cat I could train it / discourage it from going across the road? As I live in a hilly place, as said, we get cars literally fly over the hill and anything crossing would have minimal chance.

on our road it is a regular sight to see pheasants , rabbits, birds, hedgehogs and badgers that have been run over you know just aside the road. No pavements etc. 

Other side of the house is a cats dream though. Am I being silly and underestimating a cats intelligence? Two other houses in close distance no one has cats haven't seen any cats at all around here... animal lover here, work long hours but three or four days a week max so can you know, be around for it mostly, and I know they're independent etc but part of me wants to look into this as come Winter, new mice will fancy my loft again and a cat would be a useful ally but massively concerned about the road. Sorry for long post, genuine thoughts though thanks. 

• Like 1

It was 93F in Maine today (Thurs), and right now at 11PM, it about 79 and breezy. Just about the most beautiful night you could ask for. I've been letting the grey one outside lately, following him around and eventually scooping him up. Reggie the little prince is a little lion indoors, but outside he's timid. Whereas the grey one is timid indoors and a lion outside. Go figure. Anyways, I let both out tonight, and they were in heaven. I scooped up Reggie but the grey boy is still out there. I live in a very urban area, so I'm gonna have to go look for him, but it's worth the hassle seeing him dart around, so happy and free.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 18:49, Midfielder said:

I being daft/ paranoid to think that if I got a cat I could train it / discourage it from going across the road?

If you let it out without supervision, it'll go wherever it wants. You could set up remote electro-schock parameters like people have for dogs, but then I'd have to find you and kill you.

My cat bought a live rat in the kitchen yesterday. I managed to get my cat to drop it by right the back door and then I locked the cat in another room.

I went and opened the back door, the rat was an inch away from freedom. Instead it decided to turn around, stand on it's two back legs, squeak loudly and leap at me. I screamed, I actually screamed. The rat then ran under the cupboards. 

Should have let my cat kill the little bugger.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My cat bought a live rat in the kitchen yesterday. I managed to get my cat to drop it by right the back door and then I locked the cat in another room.

I went and opened the back door, the rat was an inch away from freedom. Instead it decided to turn around, stand on it's two back legs, squeak loudly and leap at me. I screamed, I actually screamed. The rat then ran under the cupboards. 

Should have let my cat kill the little bugger.

Not surprising, this has happened to me (after the rat played possum first).

haven't had any rats for about 12 months, I believe our Freddie has done the area a service and slaughtered them all.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:49, Midfielder said:

As I live in a hilly place, as said, we get cars literally fly over the hill and anything crossing would have minimal chance.

I couldn't help but think of Kit from Knight Rider, or the General Lee from Dukes Of Hazzard whizzing by your new house day in, day out!

Aw, shit news Bri, sorry to hear that. Been through the same experience not so long ago (with the feller in my avatar), so I know what it's like. Not ashamed to say I cried like a baby. 

Edited by mjmooney

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

RIP Maggie

My condolences. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things in life. She looked like a wonderful cat.

You did the right thing, cancer in animals is never easy and it's hard to tell if they are in pain or not. My thoughts are with you.

Â