Extended Warranties / Guarantees

ender4

Should i pay extra for the 5 year warranty?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should i pay extra for the 5 year warranty?

• YES
    • NO

This poll is closed to new votes

I know people generally say not to buy extended guarantees...

but is this true on all products all the time?

Let me give you my specific example:

I'm buying a Plasma TV for £550, which comes with a 1-year manufacturers warranty.

but for £55 extra, i can have a 5-year guarantee from Richer Sounds.

is it worth buying?

I seem to recall that manufacturers have been pulled up about only offering 1 year warranties on TV's and the like and that as a consumer you are allowed a longer warranty ?

Can't think of any household appliance I've had that has ever broken down tbh so on that basis I'd say in my case I'm quids in for not taking them all out ...

I'd only take out a warranty on something like a second hard car if it was being offered one

never ever worth it at the first quote

say no, the quote will come down

then decide if it's worth it to you, personally never bought it and never regretted it, so at my advanced age and purchasing history I'm so many hundreds of pounds up on the deal that if I need to shell out for a new 'thing' I'll just accept it

I've never bothered with them. Ignore what they say about their "1 year warranty". Something going outside of their arbitrary warranty period doesn't over-ride your rights under the sales of goods act. You just have to be prepared to make a scene if they refuse to acknowledge this. In the middle of their store. On a busy Saturday afternoon.

Edit: Obviously go to the retailer, not the manufacturer. You've got no contract with the manufacturer. If a retailer sells you a product that doesn't last a reasonable period of time, take it up with them, "warranty" or not.

The Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act gives you a 6 year warranty from the retailer. Unless this extended warranty is free or offers extras like a replacement while yours is repaired, then no.

It;s one of those things isn't it?

If your TV **** up in 2 and a half years then the extended warranty will be worth every penny. If it doesn't then you'll think it's a waste

True. Though the overwhelming majority of televisions last way longer than two and a half years. They tend to last longer than most people want to keep them, when was the last time you bought a TV because your old one stopped working for example? Most new TVs are bought because people want a shiny new one with the latest features and/or a bigger screen.

TVs are low maintenance. They dont have lots of moving parts and most of the times people dont even press the buttons on their TV because everything is controlled via the remote. If one works when you buy it then it's probably going to work until you are done with it. The guy in the shop trying to dump a warranty on you isnt doing it because he is concerned that your TV might break, he is upselling because he has been told to by his manager.

The Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act gives you a 6 year warranty from the retailer. Unless this extended warranty is free or offers extras like a replacement while yours is repaired, then no.

Where did you get that info from? THe sale of goods act even in its latest revision does not include 6 years as far as I'm aware. You recieve whatever the manufacturer issues but your contact is with the retailer. The product must last a reasonable time, ie if a tv breaks down after 15months you could argue that it be not of merchantable quality/not fit for service. Most decent manufacturers will see sense over this. Panasonic recently a tv for one of my customers foc after 2 and a half years.

Google for "sale of goods site:gov.uk" and you'll find it. This is nothing new, you've always had this right. It's why manufacturers use the phrase "does not affect your statutory rights" when talking about their additional warranties.

It's not quite accurate.

You have up to 6 years from the time of sale to raise a claim under the Act. That isn't the same as having a 6 year warranty. For example, if an item you buy breaks after 5 months, you have another 5 years and 7 months to raise a claim, and they'll have to refund you/offer a repair/replacement, as if something breaks within 6 months, it's assumed that the fault was present at the time of sale.

If something breaks after 5 years, you have another year to make the claim (though it'd be a much weaker claim, and you'd have to show that the fault was present when you bought it).

Google for "sale of goods site:gov.uk" and you'll find it. This is nothing new, you've always had this right. It's why manufacturers use the phrase "does not affect your statutory rights" when talking about their additional warranties.

That is not quite correct:

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six (or five) years?

No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

Europe have been trying to introduce a law to ensure all electronic products such as tv's should be warantied for 2 years minimum. At the moment, a TV breaking down after 3 uears would be considered reasonable and would not be repaired FOC. Six years only covers a few items in reality.. On the other hand I have worked in the audio visual industry since 1987 and I would never recommend purchasing an extended warranty..

I've successfully had several items replaced after three years. I've assisted many people in using the SOGA to get items repaired / replaced after the manufacturers' warranty has expired.

As you say in answer to the OP, almost certainly it is not worth buying and extended warranty.

Comet are scum. I will never buy anything from them again. Worst customer service I've ever come across.

Just like politicians, most major electrical retailers are the same. John Lewis are probably the exception, they seem to have customer service sorted to a degree.

Â