The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

They should be bombed into oblivion.

If you can find them. More innocent victims will inevitably get caught in the attempted attacks on the IS words removed.

If they would all line up in 19th century marching and fighting formation out in a field somewhere then we could napalm them.

Unfortunately, dropping a bomb on a village they've seized causes a 6 year old boy to see his mum or his sister killed....and off we go again, with revenge for the revenge on the revenge (see Palestine).

As for troops n boots on the ground, see Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's a bit of a sticky situation.

What do the Syrians/Iraqis/Kurds etc do with captured ISIS fighters? I don't see any reason to keep them alive.

Well I think Jordan are about to make good in their promise to kill their suspected ISIS captives in response.

If you can find them. More innocent victims will inevitably get caught in the attempted attacks on the IS words removed.

If they would all line up in 19th century marching and fighting formation out in a field somewhere then we could napalm them.

Unfortunately, dropping a bomb on a village they've seized causes a 6 year old boy to see his mum or his sister killed....and off we go again, with revenge for the revenge on the revenge (see Palestine).

Back in the day when we had an Empire the Brits got really good at what were called punitive expeditions. We'd send in 5-10,000 troops to find, fix and destroy as many of the enemy as possible and then leave again. No occupation or nation building that keeps you there for years, just a few months roaming around and doing the necessary.

Translated to the modern era I'd suggest an up scaled version of the Long Range Desert Group which operated in North Africa during WW2. Lots of mobile columns operating in the huge empty spaces of Eastern Syria, ripping up their lines of communication and supply, locating any concentrations of enemy forces and destroying them from the ground and air.

It's the kind of job that UK, US and French conventional forces are very good at, which if coordinated with Kurdish forces would really change the balance of power on the ground.

Simply bombing IS will never make a strategic difference and I don't see how the current situation can be tolerated any more. Sure it would probably lead to a few more attempted terror plots in UK but they are trying to do that already, and frankly anyone motivated to launch domestic attacks for giving IS a shoeing aren't people we should want breathing anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not so convinced that the US and UK want to wipe them out. They're a convenient enemy and the outrage they cause aids a lot of our governments goals. The coordinated air strikes stop them spreading and becoming a genuine threat whilst allowing them to operate in a disgusting but smaller scale.

Back in the day when we had an Empire the Brits got really good at what were called punitive expeditions. We'd send in 5-10,000 troops to find, fix and destroy as many of the enemy as possible and then leave again. No occupation or nation building that keeps you there for years, just a few months roaming around and doing the necessary.

Translated to the modern era I'd suggest an up scaled version of the Long Range Desert Group which operated in North Africa during WW2. Lots of mobile columns operating in the huge empty spaces of Eastern Syria, ripping up their lines of communication and supply, locating any concentrations of enemy forces and destroying them from the ground and air.

It's the kind of job that UK, US and French conventional forces are very good at, which if coordinated with Kurdish forces would really change the balance of power on the ground.

Simply bombing IS will never make a strategic difference and I don't see how the current situation can be tolerated any more. Sure it would probably lead to a few more attempted terror plots in UK but they are trying to do that already, and frankly anyone motivated to launch domestic attacks for giving IS a shoeing aren't people we should want breathing anyway.

No nation building?

Didn´t you draw many of the borders that still exist?

Anyway, it is clear that the west want to get rid of Assad and that he has allies of some power.

He is winning alot of lost ground back from Isis (useful idiots turning out useless) and have no reason to permit western troops in Syria.

Finally...We are broke.

Well I think Jordan are about to make good in their promise to kill their suspected ISIS captives in response.

The two who had their punishments expedited this morning were convicted way before anyone had even dreamed up the first catchy acronym for IS/ISIS/ISIL/ISYOUIS/ISYOUAINT, weren't they? Edited by snowychap

Yes and no. The women was picked up in 2005 and the AQ chappie in 2008, when IS was running as AQ in Iraq. It goes to show the problem you face with these sorts of people; large scale assaults by US Marines, JSOC HVT raids and Awakening forces bled them white, but they didn't die and now they're back.

IS have been dropping the ball for a while now though; Kobane was a folly and attempts to try and peel off weaker players in the region like Jordan won't work by creating a nationalist fervor; men filling the streets shouting death to Deash isn't what they had in mind.

I have just watched the video of the jordanian pilot (really dont know why i did it) and i have to say it is the worst thing i have watched in my entire life, If you are thinking about watching it, Don't.

Edited by Ikantcpell

I have just watched the video of the jordanian pilot (really dont know why i did it) and i have to say it is the worst thing i have watched in my entire life, If you are thinking about watching it, Don't.

I remember seeing a beheading video years ago and still haunts me to this day. Horrible horrible stuff. 

I guess morbid curiosity got the better of you, as it did me, all those years ago. 

I remember seeing a beheading video years ago and still haunts me to this day. Horrible horrible stuff. 

I guess morbid curiosity got the better of you, as it did me, all those years ago. 

the hands tied behind the back and pushed off the top of a building ones from iraq with the accompanying crunch were quite grim as well

tbh I watch most of those videos with a kind of sense of detachment   , the helmet cam of the guy on a motorbike hitting a car at 100 mph with his last words as he realised his time was about to be extinguished I found haunting

Yes and no. The women was picked up in 2005 and the AQ chappie in 2008, when IS was running as AQ in Iraq.

So, that's a yes, then? :)

Same people, same mission statement, just rebranded. Solution is the same as it was then, unfortunately the job was left unfinished last time when we had the chance to end it.

It will be a whole lot tougher now, but if we fail to deal with it a second time the next evolution will be even more difficult to address. We need to man up a little bit, accept the fact we'll lose some men in the process and send these people to their god ASAP.

Yes and no. The women was picked up in 2005 and the AQ chappie in 2008, when IS was running as AQ in Iraq.

So, that's a yes, then? :)
Same people, same mission statement, just rebranded. Solution is the same as it was then, unfortunately the job was left unfinished last time when we had the chance to end it.

It will be a whole lot tougher now, but if we fail to deal with it a second time the next evolution will be even more difficult to address. We need to man up a little bit, accept the fact we'll lose some men in the process and send these people to their god ASAP.

Oh good. I take it you are not one of those people we might lose though?

Â