The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Whereabouts are you Awol (if you can say of course). Just don't say the UK!!

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess Muscat, Oman.

Just a hunch.

Couldn't see that on the mobile site...

Yes in Muscat mate, but travel the region a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me laugh that all the media report on a few Israeli's being killed as a top story, yet when Gaza was getting pummelled daily (I've seen the videos),  killing entire neighbourhoods it doesn't even get a mention.

Anyone else seen the BBC doco on Rojava (the name the Kurds have given to the three enclaves south of the Turkish border)?

Rojava has become the place of refuge for people fleeing ISIS, and includes yazidis, christians, agnostics. They claim the place is governed "by consensus", and they've recruited a lot of women to fight alongside the men.

What struck me was how little we hear about Rojava. There is so little proper resistance to ISIS at the moment: The Iraqi army is handcapped by sectarian issues and is generally useless, Assad is more interested in fighting against the secular opposition, and Turkey has an Islamist government at the moment. The only explanation I can think of is that the West is playing it down because Turkey is afraid of Kurdish nationalism.

I really feel for the poor bloody Kurds. They are a culturally, linguistically and ethnically distinct group of people who have suffered genocide and never had a country to call their own, mainly because of the casual way the West carved up the Ottoman empire after WWI. Historically they are moderate muslims - the saying goes "Compared to the nonbeliever, the Kurd is a muslim".

You'd think one of the most important groups in the fight against ISIS would be getting more publicity and support. They really deserve it.

It makes me laugh that all the media report on a few Israeli's being killed as a top story, yet when Gaza was getting pummelled daily (I've seen the videos),  killing entire neighbourhoods it doesn't even get a mention.

Apart from being all over the TV and the newspapers, you mean?

I'm not taking sides, here, I'm kind of with you in the spirit of your point, but I don't think it's very accurate to say the attacks on gaza etc. "didn't get a mention"

• Like 2

It makes me laugh that all the media report on a few Israeli's being killed as a top story, yet when Gaza was getting pummelled daily (I've seen the videos), killing entire neighbourhoods it doesn't even get a mention.

Not sure if serious...

Palestine just can't keep the peace can they.

i see isis have taken control of a city in libya, great stuff.

As things are going they might be in control over the whole middle east in a year or two.

Iam shocked that so many people join them and support them, so much hate in the world...where is it all coming from ?

maybe, i think you will also see parts of africa being contolled by the horrible vermin as well. they seem to be getting support from all over,europe included. i just dont understand why people would want to live like that and be ruled by something from the dark ages. you see signs when they protest which read to hell with freedom and democracy, why would you not want to live a happy and fun life without all this horrible backward laws they want to enforce. things as a whole will only get worse all over the world and all these people that oppose western values will jump on the isis bandwagon. 

It makes me laugh that all the media report on a few Israeli's being killed as a top story, yet when Gaza was getting pummelled daily (I've seen the videos), killing entire neighbourhoods it doesn't even get a mention.

Not sure if serious...

Palestine just can't keep the peace can they.

Not sure if you're serious. There is no peace, there's an illegal occupation by a murderous and racist state. Resistance against this entity is termed "terrorism", and is followed by wholly disproportionate and illegal collective punishment against an entire people.

• Like 1

Getting a bit scary. Can't see the stuff on Libya though? Also, what would happen if they enter Lebanon, Saudi or Israel?

Lebanon must be concerned.

Saudi exports them, it's not a case of being entered by them; Saudi is the source. US ally and valued UK export market Saudi, whose klepto princes are always welcome in Harrods, in Park Lane car showrooms, and in the kind of estate agents who don't advertise.

Israel is not at risk, and welcomes them for the damage they cause to other ME states. Israel may even be funding and training them, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Like 2

Getting a bit scary. Can't see the stuff on Libya though? Also, what would happen if they enter Lebanon, Saudi or Israel?

Saudi exports them, it's not a case of being entered by them; Saudi is the source. US ally and valued UK export market Saudi, whose klepto princes are always welcome in Harrods, in Park Lane car showrooms, and in the kind of estate agents who don't advertise.

Israel is not at risk, and welcomes them for the damage they cause to other ME states. Israel may even be funding and training them, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Isis must be in support of Palestine though. Meaning Israel must be feeling pretty nervous right now. I can only imagine that the attacks in Jerusalem recently are from people who are pro Isis. Edited by Tayls

Isis must be in support of Palestine though. Meaning Israel must be feeling pretty nervous right now. I can only imagine that the attacks in Jerusalem recently are from people who are pro Isis.
I'm not aware that IS have done or said anything in support of Palestine or Palestinians.

Why would they?

And why do you equate a revenge attack in Israel with support of IS? What possible connection can there be?

Â