The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

How is this not making the news?

IS are again are on the cusp of taking the town and the media aren't bothered this time round?

I wish the Turks would roll those tanks down the hill and batter the shit out those nutters but it ain't gonna happen

At that point, on Monday evening she was live on BBC radio - but didn't have pictures she could get out without betraying her position.

TV news appears to operating a similar policy to VT, pictures or GTFO.

With winter hitting, expect more of the 1500 odd rebel groups in Syria to be swallowed by JaN or IS.

Kobane is a bit of a sideshow and it's perhaps only the media attention that is keeping IS interested. They will soon be chucking far more resources at the T4 airbase.

Al Anbar is perhaps the more worrying theatre though, as the Iraqis continue to look clueless.

I read an article today on the BBC and it scared the crap out of me. It's when members of the group keep saying things like "the west will be finished" that really gets me. I get to thinking, just how far do they plan on going? If they go over one of the Iraqi or Syrian borders, that's when I will really start to worry.

they will have no chance. the thing you have to worry about is the sleeper cells in this country and the cowards who work independently in the name of allah and isis. all it takes is one or two nutters with guns to go to the bullring for example and start killing people and by the time armed police have come they would of killed a fair few people.

I read an article today on the BBC and it scared the crap out of me. It's when members of the group keep saying things like "the west will be finished" that really gets me. I get to thinking, just how far do they plan on going? If they go over one of the Iraqi or Syrian borders, that's when I will really start to worry.

If they try to go into Turkey, NATO will decimate them. The only way for them to go is southeast into Baghdad, but they'll pay a heavy price for that too. They are basically contained where they are, they're essentially a regional nuisance. 

If they try to go into Turkey, NATO will decimate them. The only way for them to go is southeast into Baghdad, but they'll pay a heavy price for that too. They are basically contained where they are, they're essentially a regional nuisance.

Essentially a regional nuisance? Cor blimey governor, you're a little off the mark with that assessment!

• Like 1

Other than random "Lone Wolf" attacks in Ottawa, or NYC, or anywhere else in the West by someone claiming allegiance to ISIS, I can't see how they as a fighting force can advance out of Syria and Iraq, and become any thing more than a regional nuisance. I suppose it sounds glib considering their atrocities, but it's not like they're ever going to mount a successful invading force against any of the countries bordering Syria and Iraq.

Edited by maqroll

Other than random "Lone Wolf" attacks in Ottawa, or NYC, or anywhere else in the West by someone claiming allegiance to ISIS, I can't see how they as a fighting force can advance out of Syria and Iraq, and become any thing more than a regional nuisance. I suppose it sounds glib considering their atrocities, but it's not like they're ever going to mount a successful invading force against any of the countries bordering Syria and Iraq.

I bet there a couple of border countries that contain people who are ready to commit to their advances. I'm mainly worried about Lebanon and Saudi Arabia at the moment....

It's best not to think of IS in terms of conventional warfare with massed tanks streaming across a desert border to do traditional battle with another army.

They operate more like cancer, infecting a cell in the body of a nation state then spreading little by little until they have reached a critical mass.

Once the body is sufficiently weakened they move from an MO of subversion, terrorism and recruitment into larger and more aggressive conventional style operations, just as they did in Iraq.

Like cancer they have all the time in the world to do their work, so whether it takes 6 months or 5 years to destabilise and 'break' a nation state is immaterial to their objectives; they are playing for all the marbles and despite (or possibly because of) the well publicised atrocities foreign Muslim recruits are still flocking to their banner and they are increasing in strength.

Governments in the Sunni Middle East are deeply worried about the spread of the ideology and support for it in their domestic populations, and with good reason. Rumour has it the US are now thinking about backing Al Nusra (AQ in Syria) to fight them because there is no else strong enough to do it unless they switch to support Assad - an admission of total policy failure.

That's how serious a threat IS presents to the region and frankly to Europe through the Trojan horse of their own domestic Muslim populations. For clarity I'm not saying all, most or many European Muslims are potential terrorists, just enough to give our security services a serious attack of the vapours.

Absent a major western ground intervention I'm currently planning to have my family out of here in a maximum of 18 months, maybe far less if things go very badly.

• Like 1

There does appear to be an opinion that eventually 'the West' will have its elections and be ready to take on IS with 'boots on the ground'. I think there is an impression that once we've been sufficiently goaded, or retail prices go up, there will be a tank battle and out highly trained and organised troops marching in roman legion formation rooting out and destroying rag bag groups of ragheads. Road to Basra II.

I'm not sure that'll happen.

It's best not to think of IS in terms of conventional warfare with massed tanks streaming across a desert border to do traditional battle with another army.

They operate more like cancer, infecting a cell in the body of a nation state then spreading little by little until they have reached a critical mass.

Once the body is sufficiently weakened they move from an MO of subversion, terrorism and recruitment into larger and more aggressive conventional style operations, just as they did in Iraq.

Like cancer they have all the time in the world to do their work, so whether it takes 6 months or 5 years to destabilise and 'break' a nation state is immaterial to their objectives; they are playing for all the marbles and despite (or possibly because of) the well publicised atrocities foreign Muslim recruits are still flocking to their banner and they are increasing in strength.

Governments in the Sunni Middle East are deeply worried about the spread of the ideology and support for it in their domestic populations, and with good reason. Rumour has it the US are now thinking about backing Al Nusra (AQ in Syria) to fight them because there is no else strong enough to do it unless they switch to support Assad - an admission of total policy failure.

That's how serious a threat IS presents to the region and frankly to Europe through the Trojan horse of their own domestic Muslim populations. For clarity I'm not saying all, most or many European Muslims are potential terrorists, just enough to give our security services a serious attack of the vapours.

Absent a major western ground intervention I'm currently planning to have my family out of here in a maximum of 18 months, maybe far less if things go very badly.

Appears to be exactly what is happening. All it needs is a group to form together in the UK, US or where ever and carry out an attack like in Nairobi and that will be the start of something very major.

Whereabouts are you Awol (if you can say of course). Just don't say the UK!!

Edited by Tayls

Appears to be exactly what is happening. All it needs is a group to form together in the UK, US or where ever and carry out an attack like in Nairobi and that will be the start of something very major.

Whereabouts are you Awol (if you can say of course). Just don't say the UK!!

Muscat, Oman, according to his sig.

Â