The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Given the seriousness of the topic, I don't think a joke should be made when we are talking about the possible Genocide of an entire race of people. 

Get off your high horse, man, jeezus

The Turks deploy and put their men on the line to help the Kurds?

In other news the Saudi Arabia and Iran become Facebook friends.

There has been much softening of relations between Turkey and the Kurds since the initial fears of a break away Kurdistan post the Iraq war. The bargaining power Turkey would also wield if they came to the aid of the Kurds would be significant.

Turkey can and should be the stabalising power in the Region. But they want to pretend they dont have borders with Iraq and Syria.

Given the seriousness of the topic, I don't think a joke should be made when we are talking about the possible Genocide of an entire race of people. 

With respect, I am not sure if you're addressing Maqroll or myself here, but I am not sure how serious we were supposed to take your suggestion, given the known differences between Kurds and Turks.

Turkey may intervene if their interests were compromised, but this would not be in the spirit of helping the Kurds and the communities of northern Iraq, much in the same way as Iranian air and Quds Force in Iraq aren't there to do anybody but Shias any favours.

Trying to make a toungue-in-cheek comment is always going to fail when it's about such a serious topic.

With respect, I am not sure if you're addressing Maqroll or myself here, but I am not sure how serious we were supposed to take your suggestion, given the known differences between Kurds and Turks.

Turkey may intervene if their interests were compromised, but this would not be in the spirit of helping the Kurds and the communities of northern Iraq, much in the same way as Iranian air and Quds Force in Iraq aren't there to do anybody but Shias any favours.

It was to Magroll. I also think you should read up on the current relations between Kurds and Turks. As I said in previous post relations are much better these days than they were post Iraq war. Also it's not just Kurds they would be saving saving.

A bit of sardonicism on an internet chat board is entirely appropriate, CV. In fact, it's a defining feature of most of the discussions that go on here, including this thread. My comment was a barb aimed at the Turkish government and really had nothing at all to do with the crisis in northern Iraq. 

• Like 1

Trying to make a toungue-in-cheek comment is always going to fail when it's about such a serious topic.

I'm really not sure you can stand on such a high horse mate. You appear to be suggesting that a Turkish invasion of neighbouring countries would add to stability in the region, and then throwing a strop when other people don't take that idea totally seriously. 

I mean, can you really not think of any reason why the Turkish Army might not be keen on a double-fronted land invasion of neighbouring countries that are in the middle of civil wars, or why Iraqi Kurds might not be thrilled to see Turkish soldiers turning up to save them? If you were just some bloke making a daft suggestion on the internet, it wouldn't be so annoying, but the holier-than-thou attitude, that everyone must take this barking mad idea so utterly seriously, is really exasperating. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

How much killing of innocents needs to happen before Turkey stop playing isolationism in a region they should be a stablising power in. They need to act militarily, they need a change to their current policy.

They have the largest most powerful military of all the islamic states. They also have astoundingly brave soldiers - peerless even. For the future of the region they need to end this all. Crush ISIS from the north, intervene in Syria Civil war. They are the only country who can do it and achieve the right outcome.

Armenia can attest to exactly how brave those soldiers are
  • Like 1

Report: Hamas offers Israel 10 conditions for a 10 year truce
Ira Glunts on July 16, 2014 86

“Hamas” graffiti in the West Bank, 2006. (Photo: Wikipedia)

Hamas is offering Israel a 10-year truce if it accepts 10 conditions. The Jerusalem Post reports, based on an Israeli Channel 2 newscast, that Azmi Bishara announced the proposal on Al Jazeera television today.   Bishara, a former Israeli Knesset member, fled Israel in 2007 after being accused of spying for Hezbollah. He is currently living in Qatar where he is a high level government advisor.

According to Ma’ariv (Hebrew) these are the conditions:

Withdrawal of Israeli tanks from the Gaza border.

Freeing all the prisoners that were arrested after the killing of the three youths.

Lifting the siege and opening the border crossings to commerce and people.

Establishing an international seaport and airport which would be under U.N. supervision.

Increasing the permitted fishing zone to 10 kilometers.

Internationalizing the Rafah Crossing and placing it under the supervision of the U.N. and some Arab nations.

International forces on the borders.

Easing conditions for permits to pray at the Al Aqsa Mosque.

Prohibition on Israeli interference in the reconciliation agreement.

Reestablishing an industrial zone and improvements in further economic development in the Gaza Strip.

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/report-israel-conditions.html

Let's not take the focus away from the vile crimes being endlessly committed by the shock troops of the IDF, nor excuse the pitifiul hasbara lies of our Israeli mouthpiece chum.

Mass murder is being committed daily by the vile IDF, for political advantage and economic gain, including but not restricted to oil and gas off the coast of Gaza.

Thieving, murdering scum.

I'd just move. **** living and bring up a family in an unpredictable war zone.

Well, even if I'll ignore patriotism and so, being a Jew in Israel is not easy, but as I see things - being a Jew outside Israel is even worse. Look at the recent demonstrations in Europe, listen to when Arduan is saying. Even yesterday, Jewish kids in Sydney (!!!!) were abused. Look at history - we are not being treated all too well outside.

Here I at least have the ability to defend myself and try to control my own destiny. I am not dependent on some leader who think of "the republic" or "the voters". If you wish, I can get all sentimental and remind you of how the allies chose not to bombard Auschwitz during WWII to at least hamper some of the Nazis deeds over there.

Israel is here for a reason, you know :)

There's always America.

Let's not take the focus away from the vile crimes being endlessly committed by the shock troops of the IDF, nor excuse the pitifiul hasbara lies of our Israeli mouthpiece chum.

Mass murder is being committed daily by the vile IDF, for political advantage and economic gain, including but not restricted to oil and gas off the coast of Gaza.

The recent casualties of 2000 people is hardly mass murder, sad and unnecessary, but not mass murder. Hamas allow their people to be put in the line of fire. They know they cant do shit to the jews but they still continue to fire their silly little rockets at israel. They openly admit to wanting to wipe out the nation of isreal. Hamas have had their chance to settle for peace but they dont want it. Doesnt justify the over the top actions of Israel who are as guilty as Hamas but if I want to talk about northern iraq rather then gaza then I will.

Yet we have over tens of thousands (not 2000 like gaza but over 40,000) of innocent people in northern iraq being slaughtered, beheaded, kidnapped, just because they are not a certain religion yet you say lets not take away the focus from gaza?!?!

Edited by blandy
aggressive tone

The recent casualties of 2000 people is hardly mass murder, sad and unnecessary, but not mass murder. Hamas allow their people to be put in the line of fire. They know they cant do shit to the jews but they still continue to fire their silly little rockets at israel. They openly admit to wanting to wipe out the nation of isreal. Hamas have had their chance to settle for peace but they dont want it. Doesnt justify the over the top actions of Israel who are as guilty as Hamas but if I want to talk about northern iraq rather then gaza then I will.

Yet we have over tens of thousands (not 2000 like gaza but over 40,000) of innocent people in northern iraq being slaughtered, beheaded, kidnapped, just because they are not a certain religion yet you say lets not take away the focus from gaza?!?!

Good post. This intense fascination with Israel at the expense of anything else going on including other atrocities around the world is quite frankly bizarre. I'm not even sure why it happens. I can only speculate that people feel very comfortable, on very safe ground to discuss Israel because the narrative of the situation is very simple, at least in their heads and situations in other countries are not.  

• Like 3

How much killing of innocents needs to happen before Turkey stop playing isolationism in a region they should be a stablising power in. They need to act militarily, they need a change to their current policy.

They have the largest most powerful military of all the islamic states. They also have astoundingly brave soldiers - peerless even. For the future of the region they need to end this all. Crush ISIS from the north, intervene in Syria Civil war. They are the only country who can do it and achieve the right outcome.

South Korea exists because of the same astoundingly brave soldiers. 

Almost all armies have done bad and good things in the world. 

South Korea exists because of the same astoundingly brave soldiers. 

Almost all armies have done bad and good things in the world. 

You can't put the Armenian genocide under such definition.

Good post. This intense fascination with Israel at the expense of anything else going on including other atrocities around the world is quite frankly bizarre. I'm not even sure why it happens. I can only speculate that people feel very comfortable, on very safe ground to discuss Israel because the narrative of the situation is very simple, at least in their heads and situations in other countries are not.  

Couldn't agree more.

Still, the ISIS (or IS) issue is quite simple - they are the bad guy, regardless of who they fight.

In Syria it's much more complicated as most of the parties involved can be categorized as "bad guys". This is why no actual help is provided - no matter who will win - it'll be bad.

Â