Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

He is definitely a defender in the Laursen/Mellberg mold. Willing to put his body in front of a shot and willing to put his head into situations that another defender like Vlaar wouldn't.

he'll put his head anywhere regardless!!!!!

Yeah especially in a dodgy barber's chair.

Going back to the zonal thing though. Why the hell are we not standing at the posts? It's such a dangerous thing to do.

Yeah the whole no defenders on the post perplexed me a bit. There were three CBs out there plus Kozak, which is a lot of height. Surely they could throw someone like Bacuna and Delph in at the posts?

The only reason I can think of is that it may stop the opposition putting someone on the line to block the keeper.  If there's no-one on the posts they would be offside immediately the ball was headed forward - no way they are not interfering if they are standing on top of the keeper.

Dunno if that's the reason but either way I don't like leaving the posts unprotected. We're not the only culprits though - seen quite a lot of teams doing it recently.

Going back to the zonal thing though. Why the hell are we not standing at the posts? It's such a dangerous thing to do.

Yeah the whole no defenders on the post perplexed me a bit. There were three CBs out there plus Kozak, which is a lot of height. Surely they could throw someone like Bacuna and Delph in at the posts?

The only reason I can think of is that it may stop the opposition putting someone on the line to block the keeper.  If there's no-one on the posts they would be offside immediately the ball was headed forward - no way they are not interfering if they are standing on top of the keeper.

Dunno if that's the reason but either way I don't like leaving the posts unprotected. We're not the only culprits though - seen quite a lot of teams doing it recently.

Yeah that's a good shout. Especially with Guzan being quite decent at claiming, Lambert probably feels confident that if nobody is blocking Guzan he can stop quite a few corners...risky though, but like you said, we are certainly not the only club trying it. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

• 1 month later...

I think he can do a job defensively, but my god he is absolute gash trying to pass it. No awareness of when to stand on it for a second and when to try to play a ball forward. Routinely passes the ball to the LB in bad positions just to get rid of it.

I think him and Clark (and to a lesser extent Vlaar) are one of the biggest reasons we aren't retaining the ball. Too afraid to make a mistake and just pass it back to Guzan as a safety valve.

• 3 weeks later...

Baker excels in games against Stoke, West Ham, Cardiff etc, half the league that like to get  the ball forward at the earlies opportunity or just have big immobile blokes upfront.

He does get done on a regular basis by pace and movement so up to him and the coaching staff to attempt to improve this.

I think this must be the reason, and, like yourself, I have noticed a lot of teams doing it recently.

Â