Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Is Makoun good enough to be a premiership holding midfield player?

From the games that Makoun played for Villa he showed a quick eye for one touch passing. We rarely if ever got to see him hold the ball for more than two or three touches. So whether Makoun would be a holding player is a huge question.

Cabaye is better technically that Makoun, but he is still a good player, and has what it takes to be in the Villa first team.. Its McNob won't even give him a chance.

And I have always seen Makoun more of an Essien type, endless amount of energy.

Relegation a certainty next season if we make Makoun the centrepiece of our midfield.

The issue is neither Herd, Clark or Delph - keep possession, they either lose possession quickly or pass quickly, they rarely ever take responsibility and try and advance up the pitch. Not sure if this is how they are told to play or just the fact they are not very good. Clark when he scored against Arsenal showed he could be very good on the ball and get forward.

Our defence probably is no worst than a lot of other clubs but because we are so poor at retaining possesion our defence probably has to deal with double the number of corners and attacking periods.

Makoun did look to have a bit of ability and composure and is the type of player we need to just take the pressure off our defence and spread the ball around a bit. Bannan could probably do this but he tries to hard and is very light weight.

One things for certain Makoun can't be any worse than anyone we have presently. Although he hasn't set the world alight at Olympiakos either - one goal and only 12 appearances, although he has been injured.

I would also be for getting him back in, with a proper preseason he could fit in well.

This sounds exactly like the things being said last year. McLeish doesn't fancy Makoun, end of and as we are stuck with McLeish ATM we are likely to see JIIM off in the summer IMO!

Well as we know, opinion is divided on Makoun.

IMO:

If used in the right way he could be a real creative force for us, as he knows where to pass to before he gets the ball, which speeds up the attack, which leads to goals.

He is criticised as being poor defensively because of his yellow and red cards. I watched every one of them and most of the time he had won the ball. In every case he was given a yellow when the same offence might have been a caution at worst, and his red card was more of a yellow as well. Basically he got a very raw deal from the ref in every case, and nobody seems to remember this.

Makoun was one of the reasons I was looking forward to watching Aston Villa this season. I couldn't believe it when he was loaned out, just as I can't believe Carlos Cuellar is being let go.

He is criticised as being poor defensively because of his yellow and red cards. I watched every one of them and most of the time he had won the ball.

Ah, it's amazing what those claret and blue specs will do! :)

I don't get the Makoun hate. Ok he didn't set the world alight but he really didn't get that much of a chance here. As we know not all players that come in from foreign leagues hit the ground running. Why McLeish loaned him out at the first opportunity I'll never know.

and therein lies the issue.

Makoun, Delph, Ireland... All on big salaries, all offering similar skill sets to a lesser or greater degree. I suspect the conclusion was that we don't have the financial desire or ability to carry all three. Bannan, on a smaller salary, but again being a similar sort of player.

Eck went with Delph and Ireland, supported by Bannan, but could just as easily have gone with Makoun for one of the other two. Remember, at the start of the season, none of the players had established themselves in the Villa first team, so it was a bit of a punt either way.

I was at the Villa training sessions every day they were in Hong Kong, and at the time, it wasn't clearly the wrong call. Delph was fit, young and looking to start, which he did early on in the season. Ireland was coming back to fitness and had proven his ability at man city...

If makoun comes back into the fold in the off season, I can see it being at the expense of delph or bannan.

Get him back. Get him holding midfield, Ireland attacking midfield with Holman. Clark at CB, Herd at right back, Lihaj at left back. Bannan as back up, + new player.

Makoun, Delph, Ireland... All on big salaries, all offering similar skill sets to a lesser or greater degree. I suspect the conclusion was that we don't have the financial desire or ability to carry all three. Bannan, on a smaller salary, but again being a similar sort of player.

Am sure Makoun isnt on that big a salary. Maybe 30k a week which is peanuts for our squad.

Â