Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

and even Gerard Houllier (who bought him but rarely played him).

He started every league game he was available for under GH except for one (West Ham away)...

he missed a few for suspension and didnt he pick upa little niggle and miss a couple?

Aside from the 3 match ban he received for his red card against Blackpool he started every game under Houllier's supervision, except the West Ham away game.

Here are the full facts of Makoun's unhappy stay with Villa last season. It's just laughable that, on the basis of this, people are assuming his return would transform he midfield.

Man C H - Did not start

Wigan A - subbed off after 57 mins BOOKED

Blackburn H - Did not start

Man U H - Full game

Fulham - Full game BOOKED

Blackpool A - SENT OFF

Blackburn H - SUSPENDED

Man C A - SUSPENDED

Bolton A - SUSPENDED

Wolves H - Full game

Everton A - Full game BOOKED

Newcastle H - Subbed off

West Ham H - Sub not used

Stoke A - Sub not used

WBA A - - thigh injury

Wigan H - thigh injury

Arsenal A - Fit, not selected

Liverpool H - Calf injury

and what does that tell you?

To me it says.. he gets booked alot due to poor timing.. hes still adjusting.. also thigh and calf injuries are showing he wasnt completely fit to handle the pace of the game.. means hes still adjusting.. he needed a proper Premier League pre-season.

the pre season he looked fitter and was playing with more confidence.. yet the fool we call our manager got rid of him.

He started every league game he was available for under GH except for one (West Ham away)...

he missed a few for suspension and didnt he pick upa little niggle and miss a couple?

Aside from the 3 match ban he received for his red card against Blackpool he started every game under Houllier's supervision, except the West Ham away game.

Here are the full facts of Makoun's unhappy stay with Villa last season. It's just laughable that, on the basis of this, people are assuming his return would transform he midfield.

Man C H - Did not start

Man U H - Full game

Blackpool A - SENT OFF

Blackburn H - SUSPENDED

Man C A - SUSPENDED

Bolton A - SUSPENDED

Wolves H - Full game

Newcastle H - Subbed off

Stoke A - Sub not used

WBA A - - thigh injury

Wigan H - thigh injury

It's good you have such a history but forget to mention he was unavailable for the last two games as his family had suffered a car accident in Cameroon. I think the bottom line is he has not played enough games to be written off, or do we know he will be the answer, he is a very good player. Also Cabaye, did not hit the ground running took him about 5-7 games to get used to it.

Man C H - Did not start

Man U H - Full game

Blackpool A - SENT OFF

Blackburn H - SUSPENDED

Man C A - SUSPENDED

Bolton A - SUSPENDED

Wolves H - Full game

Newcastle H - Subbed off

Stoke A - Sub not used

WBA A - - thigh injury

Wigan H - thigh injury

It's good you have such a history but forget to mention he was unavailable for the last two games as his family had suffered a car accident in Cameroon. I think the bottom line is he has not played enough games to be written off, or do we know he will be the answer, he is a very good player. Also Cabaye, did not hit the ground running took him about 5-7 games to get used to it.

Plus he didn't have clearance to play in either the Man City or the Blackburn games which have been listed there. So really there were two matches (WHU and Stoke) where he wasn't selected to start.

So many people have made their mind up about Makoun. Imagine him getting POTY next year and this thread will be full of the "farce" comments that are currently filling up the Ireland thread. It's almost as if people don't want our creative players to do well, just so they can moan about who signed them/the circumstances they were signed in/the money that was spent/their 'attitude' problems...

Well some people seem to think he’s a defensive midfielder. But thats by the by. I want him to be successful, but the signs aren’t good. Maybe with a great manager who has some belief in him, he might prosper.

I want all our players to do well, but ultimately I want the team to do well. Makoun just hasn’t looked like a good fit, and he’s not so good that the whole team should be built around him. I guess no one knows the entire story so all of the comments are based on what we have seen.

I honestly do not think our style suits him.

And not just the style of non-football we currently play, but the more "English" style Villa seem to have had since I first started supporting them:

- Effort over grace.

- Graft over guile.

- Speed over intelligence.

- Athleticism over ability.

- Percentage plays over ball retention.

- Physicality over position.

I'm not saying that our style needs to change (though I'd like to see better football than we saw this season), I just see Makoun as more "refined" than we have use for.

seems harsh to write him off when we don't know who our manager will be next year and therefore the style of play and who else he'll be playing alongside.

Get a proper manager in, give J2M a pre-season and see how things are going by christmas. If still not cutting it, sell in Jan.

simples

No-ones saying he's a world-beater, just that he deserves more of a chance. I would say that's fair?

Exactly and we have nothing really to lose by trying.

If, or hopefully when, we get a new manager they will take stock of all the players and decide whether they and their style of play fit with how they want the team to play. I seem to remember that MON tried out both DJ-DJ and Hendrie before moving them on.

As for Makoun I don't think we saw enough to make any sort of judgement. Houllier clearly wanted us to play football and Makoun fitted that objective but his illness, Makoun taking time to adapt in the PL plus then employing Mcleish stopped all that.

No doubt the complainers on this thread are same people who bemoan us not looking abroad for players and will also no doubt castigate Villa for selling Makoun if he then goes on and delivers at another PL club.

No-ones saying he's a world-beater, just that he deserves more of a chance. I would say that's fair?

If, or hopefully when, we get a new manager they will take stock of all the players and decide whether they and their style of play fit with how they want the team to play. I seem to remember that MON tried out both DJ-DJ and Hendrie before moving them on.

As for Makoun I don't think we saw enough to make any sort of judgement. Houllier clearly wanted us to play football and Makoun fitted that objective but his illness, Makoun taking time to adapt in the PL plus then employing Mcleish stopped all that.

No doubt the complainers on this thread are same people who bemoan us not looking abroad for players and will also no doubt castigate Villa for selling Makoun if he then goes on and delivers at another PL club.

If Makoun makes a success at either Villa or another Premier League club I will be absolutely amazed.

I think that Makoun had his best opportunity when the French connection were running things at Villa. Unfortunately he was used haphazardly which damaged his confidence. I don't see any future for him at AVFC even though there is much to admire about him technically.

If Makoun makes a success at either Villa or another Premier League club I will be absolutely amazed.

Lets hope you are amazed and that amazement is Villa based :)

I don't think he is suited to playing in this league due to the pace of the game and how a lot teams like to get in your face and don't allow you much time on the ball. I am happy to be proven wrong though and given time to settle he could yet come good. I think it should be remembered though that he will be 29 in a couple of weeks so is not a young player with time on his side to adapt.

I think the likely outcome with Makoun is that he is sold in the summer and we recoup a couple of mill of the 6 mill we spent on him.

Â