Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Quote from McLeish in Jan: "Has he got a future with us? It depends. The reason for letting Jean out was I looking for a different type of midfielder"

That quote sums the useless clearing in the woods up perfectly.

Who would want to keep a player comfortable on the ball and able to play quick one two pass and move football ?. Perish the thought

With the state our midfield is in i'd be tempted to rip it up and start again. But under a manager like Martinez/Rodgers that understands FOOTBALL i reckon a middle 3 of Makoun, Ireland and Herd doing the gritty stuff would possibly work wonders.

But you'd need a manager that understands the concept of keep the ball and movement to see it bear fruits

I think he didn't fancy working under McLeish as opposed to not wanting to be here full stop.

Very much this. i think he would jump at the chance to play week in week out in the Premier League (in an attacking minded team) over the Greek league.

Lichaj Cuellar Clark Warnock

-------------Herd--------------

---Nzog--Makoun--Ireland---

------Bent---Weimann--------

Or something along those lines is a team I would like to try out in pre season.

How about..

------------ Given ------------

Lichaj Cuellar Clark Warnock

------------- Herd -------------

------ Makoun - Ireland-------

Zog ------- Bent ----- Carruthers

(swap Carruthers for Marc/ Weimann/ Gabby or anyone else who can slot into that fantastic left midfield/ forward role!)

Or assuming Martinez

-----------Given------------

---Clark---Dunne----Baker

Lichaj--------------------Warnock

--------Herd-----Makoun-------

------Ireland--------N'Zog--------

--------------Bent------------------

With Carruthers, Albrighton,Weimann etc. waiting to jump up to first team action.

I ve got a lot of sticks to beat McLeish with. I am damned annoyed that he let Makoun out on loan and then signed Jenas. Well the Jenas part; I ve yet to be convinced by Makoun. We can sit here all day and write our formations of proposed Villa teams, but I ve yet to see convincing evidence that Makoun will work out for Aston Villa. I would love him to come back and ram it down my throat, but I am still waiting for Berson and Drobny to do the same...

To be fair to McLeish (not something I say very often) he came to the same conclusion about Makoun as had his predecessors Gary MacAllister and even Gerard Houllier (who bought him but rarely played him).

and even Gerard Houllier (who bought him but rarely played him).

He started every league game he was available for under GH except for one (West Ham away)...

To be fair to McLeish (not something I say very often) he came to the same conclusion about Makoun as had his predecessors Gary MacAllister and even Gerard Houllier (who bought him but rarely played him).

also, in fairness to the guy, you cant legislate for a plaer getting a season-long injury. A fit Jenas would have been a key player this season.

I know he had some injury issues beforehand, but nothing serious. Also, in all reality, Jenas was probably about as good a calibre of midfielder a) available at the time B) one who was willing top play for Villa.

I don't know if anyone is following him on twitter, but a recent comment was he was unhappy at leaving Villa and it was a club decision

I do believe just before he left, his agent came out and said he loved playing in the premier league and being in England. Some of his good friends like Bassong, Assou-ekotto and Alex Song are here anyway. Can't think of many cameroon players in Greece.

I believe if we make a managerial change early in the summer, he will get another chance unless there's a clause saying Olympiakos have an option to sign him.

I certainly don't buy for one second we got him out to trim the wage bill. We signed him from the French league who are supposed to be low wage payers and in any case we were paying most of Jenas's wages....

He started every league game he was available for under GH except for one (West Ham away)...

he missed a few for suspension and didnt he pick upa little niggle and miss a couple?

I don't understand this "myth" that Houllier rarely played him.

From memory, Makoun started against Wigan, couldn't play in the cup against Blackburn as his registration needed more time for the fa cup, then started at Man. United, home to Fulham and away to Blackpool.

The red card meant we didn't see him for about 6 weeks but he then started the next game he was available for v Wolves in mid March.

There was then a two week gap before we played Everton. Can't remember if he played in that but he certainly started at home to Newcastle in the next game as he set up Bent for a disallowed goal in the first half.

At that point he faded from the team as we were in deep relegation trouble and clearly Houllier thought Makoun was struggling a bit so it made sense with Petrov a premier league veteran to take over.

He disappeared for the final two games of the season as I think he had some family issues in Cameroon to resolve so he wasn't even in England at this point.

But it's a completely wrong to say Houllier hardly played him when he started 6 of 7 league games under him!

he missed a few for suspension and didnt he pick upa little niggle and miss a couple?

Aside from the 3 match ban he received for his red card against Blackpool he started every game under Houllier's supervision, except the West Ham away game.

WHich made Houlier an incredibly bad judge of a player. He was gash in every game bar Man Utd, tippy tappy give the opposition the ball shite, then he'd mistime nearly every tackle

Shame we replaced him with Jenas eh?

Shame McLeish got completely carried away by Delph having two decent games at the start of the season and thinking he was going to be our midfield saviour.

Shame our midfield has been a complete and utter car crash since Milner left.

If we had much better options in there, I could understand Makoun being left go but we don't. It's basically kids, Stan and Ireland.

Aside from the 3 match ban he received for his red card against Blackpool he started every game under Houllier's supervision, except the West Ham away game.

Here are the full facts of Makoun's unhappy stay with Villa last season. It's just laughable that, on the basis of this, people are assuming his return would transform he midfield.

Man C H - Did not start

Wigan A - subbed off after 57 mins BOOKED

Blackburn H - Did not start

Man U H - Full game

Fulham - Full game BOOKED

Blackpool A - SENT OFF

Blackburn H - SUSPENDED

Man C A - SUSPENDED

Bolton A - SUSPENDED

Wolves H - Full game

Everton A - Full game BOOKED

Newcastle H - Subbed off

West Ham H - Sub not used

Stoke A - Sub not used

WBA A - - thigh injury

Wigan H - thigh injury

Arsenal A - Fit, not selected

Liverpool H - Calf injury

He is overly lauded by some of our fans, that much is certain, but on the other hand he is being written off unfairly by some. It takes time to get used to the league, he wasn't given a chance this season despite having a decent pre-season in my eyes, where he featured quite a lot, so I was surprised with our squad as it was that he was allowed to leave. Everyone was well aware that Delph has suffered some serious injury problems. We were always going to end up short if we had injuries and the previous season dictated....we get injuries. We shouldn't have sold ourselves short in the way we did and there is no way Makoun could have played much worse than the majority of the side this season.

If there is a decent new manager next season then I think we may see him again, and hopefully see the best of him because we were all very positive when he arrived here. I don't think Olympiakos have a clause to buy him and even so I am sure he will get some say, I reckon he'd be up for another try under new management, Olympiakos move strikes me as a 'what was there at the time' move. It's a shit league and who the hell wants to live in Greece atm anyway.

It all relies on how quickly and decisively we sort this situation out, I am (rather hopefully I imagine) relying on us binning McLeish pretty much ASAP at the end of the season and making our move early for who we want next. The future of many relies on us fixing this early, we need to bin some of the serious shit in this squad and that relies on someone coming in quickly to evaluate and conclude they are shit so they can sell them. Just hope Lerner and the imp Faulkner don't piss around.

Â