• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Petrov 88)

Too many fans get too excited about one result. Look at the bigger picture and only when we are the dominant force in home games and we can string a good run of positive results together should we really get excited.

I don't agree, we should get excited by this, City are a team that are targetting the title.. it's a massive result really.

I also think we should've won the Birmingham game too based on the amount of times we hit the woodwork.. plenty of other things to get excited about too, hopefully this is just the start.

Aston Villa 1 Manchester City 0. Goal: Darren Bent.

Looking at that scoreline and realising who has scored the goal just fills me with such an enormous amount of joy, I can't even begin to describe it.

The team I love beating the team I hate the most. Pretty childish I admit, but it's just a wonderful feeling, it really is.

Collins and Dunne Men of the Match, closely followed by Petrov and Bent.

:flag:

Too many fans get too excited about one result. Look at the bigger picture and only when we are the dominant force in home games and we can string a good run of positive results together should we really get excited.

I don't agree, we should get excited by this, City are a team that are targetting the title.. it's a massive result really.

I also think we should've won the Birmingham game too based on the amount of times we hit the woodwork.. plenty of other things to get excited about too, hopefully this is just the start.

You are entitled to your opinion and to get excited if you want to. Some people can see beyond one game and some can't. I want this to be the start of something great but will temper my emotions until I see the evidence of long term success.

Does anyone else think on a different day (without bent) it would be 0-0 till the last couple of minutes with them nicking it?

Disagree. I think without Bent, we don't score, the team and the fans feel as though Randy has lost interest, and so do they. We end up losing 3-0 again.

You are entitled to your opinion and to get excited if you want to. Some people can see beyond one game and some can't. I want this to be the start of something great but will temper my emotions until I see the evidence of long term success.

Fair enough.. although I've seen some evidence to suggest so too.

On way home... 2 things...

White trousers

Tevez got bit by a shark

Happy Saturday all

Got bit by a shaaaark

Carlos Tevez - got bit by a shark.

He looks like Steve Bruce,

He looks like Steve Bruuuce

Carlos Tevez - looks like Steve Bruce.

Loved the announcer reading out the Man Utd score twice before kick off...that was funny too

Whole ground went bonkers when Bent scored & after the final whistle.

Brilliant!

Did I hear a 'hit by a bus' aswell?

Great night.

yep, and belongs in a zoo, is an alien, and the falklands are ours

you cant beat spontaneous songs

On way home... 2 things...

White trousers

Tevez got bit by a shark

Happy Saturday all

Got bit by a shaaaark

Carlos Tevez - got bit by a shark.

He looks like Steve Bruce,

He looks like Steve Bruuuce

Carlos Tevez - looks like Steve Bruce.

Loved the announcer reading out the Man Utd score twice before kick off...that was funny too

Whole ground went bonkers when Bent scored & after the final whistle.

Brilliant!

Did I hear a 'hit by a bus' aswell?

Great night.

yep, and belongs in a zoo, is an alien, and the falklands are ours

you cant beat spontaneous songs

what tune were the songs too?

Cracking performance from the defence today- Collins MOTM.

Also we look to have more options going forwards, although I'm still not convinced by Gabby at LW. Great shifts from Albrighton, Young, and Petrov- who had been shite of late. He looks good in that role, as he did against West Ham in the first game.

Much more promising lads- keep it up!

Check out the match thread for the game on the Sunderland forum. It's good fun. They go mental when Bent scores. :lol:

Link

They all hate us in the North East now. Geordies for sending them down, the Makems for nicking their best palyer. Oh dear, what a pity! :lol:

Try living here in the North East, it's uncomfortable yet hilarious :lol:

I do mate! Lived in Darlington for the past 14 years. Had a few interesting conversations this week to say the least! :winkold:

A really gritty performance and fantastic result. Chuffed to nuts with that and thanks to Mr DB hopefully Randy will now go the extra mile in the market before the window closes.

Maybe a bit optimistic but I still think we'll make Europe ths season.

The whole team played well but MOTM to James Collins, I salute you.

Friedel 7: Good job he had a brick wall in front of him tbh.

Cuellar 8: Very busy. Could do with a longer spell in the team to sharpen the edges.

Collins 9: A BIG performance from the ginger one today. I think he's still buzzing from the blose game.

Dunne 9: Another rock.

Clark 8.5: Actually thought he looked more confident in the role. Still want a LB though.

Albrighton 8: Worked hard as usual. Like to see him cut in more and test the keeper.

Downing 8: Out of position, but did what was required of him to good effect.

Petrov 9: Outstanding for me! Thats the exact sort of performance I want to see from a captain.

Gabby 7: Again, did a job but still out of shape. Fantastic pass for Ash which led to the goal though.

Young 9: Tireless effort and deserves to score more. If this boy is desperate to leave then I'm a chinaman.

Bent 8: So wanted to make his mark and did exactly what we bought him to do. Overawed first half, but started to get the feel for it in the second.

Overall, the performance was what it needed to be. Man City are swiftly becoming a serious threat to the 'old guard' and will break them sooner rather than later. Kolarov and Dzeko were top notch, while I can only thank the almighty that Johnson was'nt playing from the off. We, on the other hand, had been severely lacking in self belief.....and points.

It was what it was.....3 desperately needed, well deserved points to Villa.

If we can eradicate our shite habit of giving the ball to the opposition all the time, we'll be OK

Big Red Collins MOTM. But the whole backline worked like trojans

Fantastic day with small heath getting raped as well :-)

Still buzzing from this - great result and great performance.

Collins and Petrov were both outstanding.

I love the fact Bent only had about 5 touches of the ball in the whole match yet his contribution was massive - how good is it to know we have somebody we can rely on regularly for goals!

On another note - he needs a new chant!

fantastic result, and performance. I don`t post much, but was watching this match really closely given all that has gone on.

Brad - made the saves when needed. cool head when needed.

Carlos - really great night. Especially given the rough night Marc had. Another cool, cool head under pressure. loved to see him laughing after a great clearance.

Collins - Hmmm. brave game, worked hard (everyone did), a bit last ditch for me.

Dunne - this was a great performance for the big man. forget Samba, if he can keep his head right this is what we get, and it is excellent.

Clark - good enough, but spotty. wasn't helped by gabby (understandably out of position), but needs to calm down, though probably stood out compared to the experience around him.

albrighton - not his best game, but a wise decision with Cuellar behind him to keep things tidy defensively. worked hard, tracked back, but a bit out of his depth tonight.

Stan - watched him very very closely tonight given the starting 11. He was fantastic. some great tackles, very good distribution, and shackled Tevez at the top of the box. Impressive and veteran display.

Stu - worked very very hard in a position he was not comfortable in. was not the attacking presence we have seen, and he will never be a hard man ball winner, but pressed well, and was always in position. another veteran performance.

Gabby - again, out of position, but still didn't work hard enough for me. I think GED thought he would get more passion from him - taking on defenders, tracking back and helping clark, but I did not see it. a couple of moments of class, especially the ball for young that led to the goal, but otherwise a bit wasted.

Marc - not a good night for Marc. in a game when he should have been wreaking havoc on the right side, it was all a bit off. gave the ball away, rarely beat his man, crosses off tonight. overall expected better, but it may be too soon.

Ash - really interesting performance, and really excellent. showed a lot of passion for the cause tracking back, working hard, taking on defenders. could a really dangerous poacher make him much more effective in the hole? will need some more games to see, but it seemed Bent created some space for him, and gave him some nice runs to feed.

Bent - duh. goal. some great runs that gave ash some options, and made crosses interesting. I was always confused by this concept that he did not do anything but score, but what else could he do? he tracked back when needed, showed for the ball, ran into space and dragged defenders freeing up ash quite a bit. consistency is the key though. tbd.

nrc - fresh legs, about it.

great performance from everyone though from an effort perspective. real desire, real team spirit. loved every minute.

Oh, and Dzeko is going to be a star.

edit. obviously marc and albrighton are the same person. long story short, not a great night. many beers. sorry.

Great showings all around. Hard to pick out just one MOTM, but Collins probably takes it. The back four were incredible today and didn't fold during the onslaught in the closing moments. Brilliant finish for the claret and blue and am hoping today is the start of a new season. The lads sure all played like it was.

Hard to pick a MOTM but voted Collins before I read all the comments. Just immense.

At the start of the game I wasn't confident at all knowing that Houllier had decided to opt out of a potentially big decision in dropping either Gabby or Albrighton and playing Young and Downing in the middle made me a little unsure, but it was a brilliant display.

The defence were one thing. They were always there, and didn't dive in for once! That is where the game was won, we just didn't commit ourselves as we usually do and were so so so so disciplined at the back. They had no space going forward whatsoever and only really looked like scoring during the five minute period Dzeko headed wide and they hit the post. Arguably the best defensive display I have ever seen from a Villa side.

Stan ran his socks off and Houllier brought on NRC just at the right time as he tired. Downing was brilliant and the front four of Young, Albrighton, Gabby and Bent worked tirelessly and selflessly for the cause both defending from the front and attacking. I'd argue we did in fact look more like scoring when going forward than when City did.

Just what a result, absolutely over-joyed!

Â