• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Petrov 88)

Who saw that coming? We'll be in the headlines for the right reasons again tomorrow. A game of contrasts and one that will no doubt provoke contrasting opinions in the fans.

On the one hand it wasn't a convincing win; on the other hand how many times was Friedel tested?

On the one hand we gave possession away cheaply; on the other hand we read the game well and opted for interceptions rather than tackles.

Darren Bent was lonely and starved of possession up front; conversely he had one chance and buried it.

Gabby was wasted out on the left; Boateng made no impact whatsoever on the right flank.

We didn't make our subs early enough; everything was so finely balanced it would've been hard to upset the mix.

Whilst I'm comparing and contrasting the two sides today - at £18m Darren Bent is our record signing, 50% more expensive than our second costliest player. Manchester City had 5 players in their starting XI who cost the same or more than Darren Bent, with a further 3 on the subs bench. Ouch!

To add the cherry on the icing on the cake - Barry ALMOST equalised. But didn't. And even though they were chasing the game, Milner didn't get a look in.

Today, ladies and gentlemen, I'm a happy Villa fan. Again.

Great to get a win and what a start by Bent!

I thought we were a bit lucky overall (but then this makes up for hitting the woodwork 4 times in our last match) but we worked very hard and I've never seen Tevez kept so quiet!

Gabby on the left doesn't convince me but Albrighton on the right had a good game.

Overall, a bonus 3 points which will hopefully set us up for the match at Wigan where if we can get another 3 we'll really push on.

Up the villa - welcome aboard Dazza!

gave it to Collins myself, but coulda been one of 3 or 4 tbh.

don`t agree with some of the bad marks for Downing either, thats the first time he has played there (at least for us) and without nicking the ball away from them etc, he still made them work to go around him. he did put in a shift.

It will be hard for GH to drop anyone for the Wigan game.

Trolling Bluemoon....

"How we didn't win that game, their cup final, I'll never know. They were like we were against Arse, except they scored. I've never know bitterness like theirs though. Even Tevez doesn't get as much stick off the rags as Barry does from that lot at Villa. And they sang "We shall not be moved" when they're where exactly?"

Arrogant drivle.

''bitterness'' you say?

**** off.

'av that Milner. 'av that Barry.

'av that football world.

**** delighted.

Great result. I had bent backed to score first and a double on that and a villa win. Jackpot!

Abrighton has some engine and overall we looked well setup. Petrov should have been taken off earlier as his legs were gone and gabby is wasted on the left wing.

Can't be anything less than delighted with a win and a clean sheet against the best team money can buy.

7-Friedel - not a lot to do really. Should have taken more control, especially on some of the early corners

9-Cuellar - He is a master of the clutch, stabbing, tackle/block and he showed it today.

9-Collins - He will need extra treatment for bruises from the point blank blocks he threw today.

9- Dunne - Not quite as spectacular in his defensive heroics as the others, but solid, steadying rock in the center

8- Clark - Really good out of position... needs to do better forcing opponent into the middle where help is waiting.

7- Albrighton - Not his best game... but he worked his socks off, tracked back brilliantly... gave no silly tackles... made Manc play honest.

9- Petrov - not the kind of performance everyone notices, but kept the middle clogged and difficult going

9- Downing - Also helped keep the middle clogged but also did good and closing down space very quickly.

6- Agbonlahor - A few good runs, his speed makes the opponent play honest on his side, too. He kept boateng completely quiet.8-8

8- Young - Really strong, aggressive, defensive work. Took several dangerous chances that again made Manc play him honest.

9-Bent - Great poacher's goal. I like that he had the intelligence in the second half to hold up, slow down, and keep possession.

8- NRC - Solid defensive display, but did good and keeping possession when possible as well.

9-Houllier - Gutsy call to go so Attacking. Would really have liked to see NRC about 10 minutes sooner. But I would have taken off Bent, NRC in the middle, Downing playing in front of NRC and Petrov, with Young only slightly in front of Downing.

That leaves a 6 way tie for MOTM. I'll give it to Collins for three reasons. I can't vote for all 6. I want to see what ya'll voted and I need to put somebody in to do that. I think he fairly regularly catches some unfair criticism on this board.

Check out the match thread for the game on the Sunderland forum. It's good fun. They go mental when Bent scores. :lol:

Link

They all hate us in the North East now. Geordies for sending them down, the Makems for nicking their best palyer. Oh dear, what a pity! :lol:

Chuffed to ****, brilliant result, I never expected anything from this game.

The lads dug in and ground out a result, we didn't play at our best, but neither did Shitty.

Can't wait to rip it out of my nose boss on Monday :)

Clark vs Tevez... Clark did really well today, kept Tevez quiet when he was marking him imo like the rest of the defence, yes he got a yellow card but he did the job.

He was canny today. He put some real hurt on Tevez early, got a booking and then held his discipline.

Check out the match thread for the game on the Sunderland forum. It's good fun. They go mental when Bent scores. :lol:

Link

They all hate us in the North East now. Geordies for sending them down, the Makems for nicking their best palyer. Oh dear, what a pity! :lol:

Didn't we "relegate" Boro as well?

Â