The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General, how do you feel seeing a club you love becoming a laughing stock? We always deal with things so well including the approach to other clubs but this search for a manager is not funny!

If the club were told that he wanted to stay at Wigan earlier in the week then why of why did the club not be straight with the fans, we had to sit here and wait till now just to be told that he turned down even the interview! Gees! Even their chairman went along with it, even managing to fit in that we were not a big club. But still Villa stayed silent!

I hope we have an ace up our sleeve General I really do.

I am yet to renew my season ticket... would a delay of the deadline be feasible given we don't know what we are buying?

Best player gone

Rumours suggest Downing to Liverpool is as good as done

Reo-coker gone

No manager

No Keeper

No Left Back

Suggestions Dunne is leaving

It's not all doom and gloom but I feel it unfair to ask me to part with a very exact amount of money yet what you are offering in return is far from exact. This club operates in an honourable way and I was glad when Whelan said what he did, so when making a deal with the fans maybe it would be considered unfair to ask us to part with such money until you are willing to tell us what we will get for it?

General, fans of other clubs and pundits are laughing at the club and the fans right now. The fact Martinez doesn't even want to talk to the club is an all time low, do we not offer an attractive package? Do you feel the public relations with the club and the press/fans needs improving? I think its clearly obvious it does. New managers coming in may feel that they are 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice now.

Then again if you are performing a stroke of genius right now, I will gladly eat my word :D

Hi General,

You must be sick of all reactionary BS coming your way? I must admit over the past few days I have been pulled into the Media merry go round and started to believe their BS. However I had to check myself. My club has acted in responsible and professional manner that I am actually proud of.

We as a group of fans are so hypocritical (and I include myself), if you ask a lot of Villa fans what they think of Redknapp, they will say they don't like him because of the way he uses the media to "tap up" players. Yet we criticise the club for being discreet in their dealings. Not once have AVFC stated we were tracking a certain Manager, its all being made up by the media and the bookies..Ive learnt my lesson, in the future I'll be patient and wait for a AVFC statement

I just want to say thanks, sorry and keep up the good work

p.s. Myself and my 4 friends have just renewed our season tickets and we are looking forward to a good year...just waiting on the news of when I can get my new shirt

General,

Credit to the club for doing things well and credit to Martinez for honouring is contract and current challenge. Nothing wrong there and I truly believe our method will appoint the right man...

... as long as its not Steve McLaren :)

General,

I'm guessing you probably can't say anything on the matter, but I was wondering, are we sticking to the 'Premier League experience' criteria that we apparently had when searching for a manager at the start of last season?

If you can't say, then fair enough.

Thanks!

General

There is very little integrity in football these days and, sometimes, I wonder why I continue to bother with it at all. However, reading some of the tripe in the daily papers and watching the nonsense being spewed out on TV I wanted to write to congratulate the Villa Board for, at last, bringing integrity back into the game.

Whether or not I agree or disagree with the appointment when it is made is irrelevant. I support this club unconditionally. What is beyond doubt though is that the Villa Board have conducted themselves throughout this process with honesty, integrity and professionalism. No backhanded 'dripping' of information to the media and no prima donna outbursts either. While this has clearly irritated the media and thus the current backlash, when the dust settles I think all Villa fans will rightly be proud that our club have gone about their business in the right way.

So many thanks from me - affirms all the money and time I invest into supporting this great and proud club.

General

There is very little integrity in football these days and, sometimes, I wonder why I continue to bother with it at all. However, reading some of the tripe in the daily papers and watching the nonsense being spewed out on TV I wanted to write to congratulate the Villa Board for, at last, bringing integrity back into the game.

Whether or not I agree or disagree with the appointment when it is made is irrelevant. I support this club unconditionally. What is beyond doubt though is that the Villa Board have conducted themselves throughout this process with honesty, integrity and professionalism. No backhanded 'dripping' of information to the media and no prima donna outbursts either. While this has clearly irritated the media and thus the current backlash, when the dust settles I think all Villa fans will rightly be proud that our club have gone about their business in the right way.

So many thanks from me - affirms all the money and time I invest into supporting this great and proud club.

General, I want to second that. I recall we recently tried to sign a player and the club we negotiated with said publicly how professional we (read you) were.

For the life of me I can't remember what player or club that was...

In any case, its great to see and hear about.

I also wanted to voice my concern that we didn't interview McClaren due to the reaction of fans. It is pretty clear that initially he wouldn't have been a popular choice.

However, the problem is each fan is an expert. (insert sarcasm here)

We do not get to sit in the interview. We don't get to spend hours reviewing targets. We don't get to talk to people actually involved in football. We don't see behind the scenes what the club needs.

To this end, I personally don't believe that the fans should have this much power. To influence a decision of his magnitude is, again in my opinion, wrong.

The club is nothing without the fans, but equally we need Mr Lerner and his expertise, along with everyone he employs. It's the people employed by Aston Villa who should be making the decision.

I would expect this post to go down rather negatively with some fans.

Anyway, whomever we hire, whether I think they are good enough or not, I will give them the opportunity to prove themselves. Unfortunately, some will not.

general, just wondering where to send my application for the manager's job. at the rate we're ruling out potential gaffers it'll be open to the public soon so i want to get a head start on the other applicants. cheers

villa board are doing loads of not saying **** all

Which is what they should be doing, they have nothing to tell us until they find a new manager.

What do you want them to say...."We've not found a new manager yet".

To which everyone will reply..."erm, yeah we guessed that"

Just leave them to do their jobs and when they have something to say they will come out and say it.

I second this, we have to be patient and trust the judgement of the board, no matter how frustrating it may feel at the moment..

Question for the General, Sir,

I am a Serviceman in the British Army, and as such, we get to enter a number of ballots at the 'Tickets for Troops' website..

There are a high number of Premier League clubs now offering 'free' tickets to servicemen and women, yet Villa home games are not available..

Does the club offer any tickets via tickets for troops?

On an Army perspective, I would like to finish by asking you to please pass on a massive thank you to everyone involved at the club that have been involved with visiting and taking time out to look after all the injured servicemen and their families that have stayed in the military wing of the Selly Oak hospital. Having spent some time on duty as a Casualty Notification Officer, I have seen first hand how appreciative these soldiers are for what Villa and the City of Birmingham have been doing for them whilst they recover from such horrific injuries..

Thankyou very much..

General i do hope all this dithering is going to be worth it.

We are taking a pasting in the press over the appointment of our new manager, i just hope that we have someone lined up thats going to shut them all up.

Also with all the bad press, isnt this someone at the club needs to look at, its been going on for a few years now and as much as i admire our stance of saying sweet FA, it does make us and yourselves out to be soft touches.

Anyway here's to the 1st of july and the appointment of Mr Hughes(the worst kept secret).

If my sarcastic comment above is wrong then any chance we can get an indication of when we can see the new gaffer in place.

General

General, I want to second that. I recall we recently tried to sign a player and the club we negotiated with said publicly how professional we (read you) were.

For the life of me I can't remember what player or club that was...

Delph - Leeds.

Anyway, General please keep up the good work in the search for our new manager, I would just like to know though, if the rumours of Young leaving are true, who exactly negotiated the deal considering we have no manager in place at this time?

General Krulak here:

1. As everyone can see, I have kept a low profile over the past week...because there are times when it is just best to let things play out. A week or so ago some Fans and the Press were going crazy over what was going to happen re. GH. At that time I tried to make it clear that The Club was NOT going to conduct business in the media....that it wasn't fair to GH nor was it fair to the Club. We all acted in a professional manner and business was taken care of. Now we have the old complaint of "dithering"...as if choosing and obtaining a Manager was a simple as going to M&S and ordering up a Balti Pie. I am not sure where our "expert Fans" get their information on how to go about picking a Manager in a week...but I would sure like to know. A great many things go into the equation....advice from people in the "business", discussions with agents and people with access, research on everything from record of success (history) to connectivity with the players in the dressing room to effective use of personnel to compatability with Owner and people at the Club, to many, many, other things. To some fans it seems like just a simple act....and more importantly, a "signal" about something called "ambition." As if one Manager sends a bigger "ambition" signal than another....forget about whether that Manager "fits" with the Club. I have said it once and I will say it again...we will NOT conduct business in the media...we will NOT react to the nonsense that is printed in the media...and we will NOT seek a Manager who simply gets a thumbs-up from the Fans. We will get the very best man for the job...in our opinion and in the opinion of those who assist in the decision process. Once we get our man, we will give him all the support he needs. Randy has NEVER failed to support his Manager. I know it is a waste of my time to ask for patience and calmness over the next week or two...BUT, be patient...it will get done. :flag::detect::detect:

General,

Good of you to come and post at this time. As with everything in life talk is cheap and actions will speak far louder. We all await with interest as to who the next manager will be which will give a strong indication as to where this great club is now heading. For all our sakes I hope we attract the calibre of manager this great club and its fantastic supporters deserve.

Kind Regards

Mark