The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

While i would agree that Mr Lerner should recruit somebody that he believes is right for the club as he will be the one held accountable by the fans. I would urge you to get at least a feeling of how the fans feel about the next appointment. I dont mean post it on a message board but if you feel like somebody is the right person then review what the message boards say about that person as it may give an insight to how well that manager will be received. You seem to have done this with McLaren, which is great.

General I'm sure if you listened to every fan we'd never have a new manager.

Whilst I see the Mclaren sentiment was pretty unaminious, most of us trust Randy to pick the right man. Afterall he's the one that will see them in the interviews.

General, I would just like to say a big thank you for not interviewing McLaren, this again shows me why I love our club so much, keep up the good work.

Also, if fans really are being listened to, please don't appoint Martinez either, his track record is pretty awful and we should do much better !

Dear General,

Thank you for staying on the boards in times that are not all that easy. Trust in the fact that a lot of silent fans knows that you and Randy are doing the best to bring success to us all.

Regarding Martinez then I personally think it could be a very good move. We need to gamble on talent and find a manager that can build something for the long run and not a proven guy that is just looking for at big pay-check for a few years.

Keep your head high and send our support to Randy.

Cheers,

David

General

I'm not gonna say who I want and who I dont want, I just want to say well done for the way you and the board are handling this. It sounds like we are going about our business the right way, rather than in the public eye. I feel proud to be a Villa supporter when I read journos saying how well we are conducting ourselves.

On Martinez, although he may not be the 'big' name some fans want, i believe he will be a very good appointment.

Hi General,

Firstly may I say it is great to have a direct contact at the club who us fans can air our feelings to.

From following the manager search it seems to me that our next appointment is unlikely to be a particularly high profile one. I do not necessarily have an issue with this but I would like to ask whether it is time us fans accepted that this dream of breaking into the top four is further away than we hoped? There was real excitement during Martin O'Neill's first 3/4 years that it might happen. But since then the emergence of Man City, resurgence of Tottenham and impending resurgence of Liverpool has made it more difficult and it seems the only way we can challenge is to splash a humungous amount of cash or by getting some luck with finding some gems in the youth team.

The possible appointment of Roberto Martinez seems to me to be a big gamble. He may have Premier League experience but two 16th-placed finishes do not convince me that he could take us to the level we aspire to be at. We may well have some success with him at the helm but I am confident I would be right in saying that this would be modest at best.

During the ongoing manager hunt one thing that has concerned me is that it has been reported that we are only interested in managers with Premier League experience. If this is true, why? Out of the managers that have won the Premier League, only one had previous experience of managing an English top flight club, Kenny Dalglish. Fergie was in Scotland, Wenger in Japan, Mourinho had only been in Portugal and Ancelotti had spent all of his time in Italy. It seems to me we should be scouting the world for managerial talent and not just looking at candidates because they have spent a couple of years in the Premier League. I wonder whether a manager like Martinez needs more time to prove himself before taking over at a big club like us? Or maybe us fans need to accept we are not as big as we thought?

On another note, although I have been very impressed by the way the club has changed over the last five years, one thing has continued to bug me. Why is it that Villa have such a bad reputation when it comes to dealing with the press? I understand the need for secrecy when conducting business and that Randy has his reasons for not being too forthcoming with the media. But we must not forget that this is a football club which exists purely for the supporters. And I feel us supporters, along with the press, are always the last to know what is going on. Media coverage of our beloved club is big business, and as someone who works in this industry I genuinely feel we do not make the most of it.

Apologies for the long message but I will be interested to hear your thoughts. The board does have my support but please understand it is only natural when changes are going on that myself and other fans question the club's actions.

Up the Villa!

Phil

General.

You will never please everyone but if what I read is correct then I have no problem in looking at young managers (Martinez) on the up swing rather than managers who had the chance and failed (McClaren). Ideally we want a real top manager but I realize it may not be possible. Keep on going..... we are still behind you despite the problems last year,

Any news on a shirt and sponsor?

General,

As you are fully aware from experience you will go moaned at left right and centre whoever you decide to bring in. I have faith and whoever you bring in will be based on discussions between the board and the candidates. All you guys can do is listen to what the potential managers have to say and go by what their ambitions are. Whoever you bring in I will fully support.

I look forward to hearing the next announcement.

Paul

Hi General,

As always, we are never going to get a consensus on who the right manager to bring in would be. I think it was certainly the right decision to part ways with Gerard Houllier, given his health problems and the season he had at the helm. I've got my own personal list of candidate preferences, but whatever happens I'll give the new manager some time to show how they can take us forward. It's the least they deserve.

But more importantly, it's fantastic to hear another chairman in the league publicly applauding our ownership over the way they conduct business:

I would say to Aston Villa fans that your club have been superb and so honest.

Aston Villa have acted above board and in a totally professional manner.

They wrote to me asking for permission to speak to Roberto. He was on holiday at the time and I granted Villa permission.

So thanks to everyone involved at the top to ensure we maintain the high level of integrity that we have been lucky enough to have in the past five years.

heystally!

Hi General

Two questions ;

Why is it that the only factual statement of our situation in all this time has come from Wigans owner ?

The 'statement' put out by the Club was an insult to our intelligence.

Of course there are reasons for confidentiality but a simple explanation of the process we were to follow and an expected timetable would be the minimum we should have heard.

In addition to being open and 'family like' (a phrase used a lot during the season by the Club) it would maybe have done something to alter the increasingly widely held view that for the 2nd time in a season we are possibly showing signs of a lack of authority and competence over the one truly crucial decision the owner ever has to make.

2; It is 7 weeks since it was apparent GH would not be able to run the Club. Do you understand the agitation felt by fans to whom it appears we were unprepared for this search ?

Hi General;

On the day our neighbours sign a low life who should be nowhere near a football club, its been nice to here rentagob Whelan big us up with our approach. By the way im fully aware its probably spin but if feels nice anyway.

Im sure all the board are taking there time (which everyones seems to have forgotten we have quite a lot) to bring in the new man, so we can rebuild this team and move forward completely from the Martin O'Neill era.

General

It is pretty clear that whichever (realistic) appointment is made, some people would be happy and other will not. Like everyone else, I have my own list of preferences.

Realistically though, all I ask is that we continue to conduct ourselves properly, and make an appointment in line with the plans for the club as soon as is possible. Following this, I think that the club should state exactly what those plans are. If this does not include investing heavily on players for the next 12 months or 10 years - the club should tell us. We won't like it, but it won't change the facts.

You, Randy and everyone else must know that you cannot keep everyone happy.

Keep up the great work and UTV.

Hi General do you remember this video you sent out to season ticket holders:

http://youtu.be/ipd7RKGs_Eg

I was buzzing that season, we believed it maybe possible again but now when I look it it I see Barry - gone, Milner - gone, - Young - gone, feel good factor....gone.

How do you feel about the club now? Has your feel good factor gone or do you think we've fallen away from this chase? What do you think the reason our best players have consistently left each season? Why don't they want to stay here?