The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General Krulak,

Im reading in the press that the next Villa managerial appointment must have Premierleague Experiance.

This worries me a little as most the managers with Premierleague experiance that you would consider good,are already in jobs.

If Moyes or Hughes for example were gonna make it as top Premiership managers,dont you think they would have do so by now? Wheres the legacy these managers have built over the time at their clubs? Wheres the infrastructure these managers could have built?

The top 4 clubs in the country all have managers that had no prior Premierleague experiance before joining their respected clubs...So who is advising the board(if whats wrote in "local press" is true)that its a part of the criteria for the next appointment? And why is it part of the criteria? How many experianced Premierleague managers joined clubs and became successful?

This is NOT a transfer question, its just a concerned Villa fan thats read something in the local press thats worried me..

Thanks Steaknchips.

Hi General,

Only new to Villatalk, although i have read your post for the past few years. Just like to say you do a great job. Its not an easy one, especially over the past year. I'm liking the way business is being handled at Villa re: the managerial situation. Nobody has a clue and that is the way it should stay until an announment is made. I trust you are working hard on hiring the correct team. Its a massive decision, one i feel will be the making or breaking for Randy at Villa.

Thanks for your presence,

Ralphy

General, do you agree that an Eagle, or an Eagle Owl could see off any kind of Monkey in short order, and even a Tawny Owl, Burrowing Owl or Barn Owl is much better than any kind of Monkey?

Hi General,

This is my first comment on this thread regarding the search for our new manager (I think).

I know the club have professional people whom they turn to when seeking advice regarding the employment of a new manager. However, can I ask you to PLEASE at least take a look at the employment history of Louis Van Gaal and consider his name for the vacant manager's position. I think you would find that he would be very much what Villa are looking for to take the club forward, that is if he would want the job of course.

I will support whoever you employ, whether I agree with the choice or not, as I want the best for my club. However, for me as a fan, it would be nice to see an appointment that shows that the board are serious about making Villa contenders for trophies once again and that the attempt at Champions League qualification is not just a pipe dream.

Thanks for your time and good luck in your search for the new Messiah (please take a look at the PM I sent to you).

Villarocker - UTV

It shows total lack of ambition(this may be a bit strong a word..But lack of scope,vision maybe?) by the club if they limit their search to Premiership experianced only. Here we have Barcelona football club leading the way in football..They are getting further ahead and sooner or latter change would need to come from Aston Villa if we are EVER going to be successful again. Premiership managers are behind the times when it comes to total football, keeping the ball, movement, vision, passing etc. Year after year the clubs in the Premiership are spending millions on players from the continent where players are better coached.. Yet you limit your search to bring in such manager, in favour of sticking with "old hat" Premierleague managers? WHY is this?

Man City, Chelsea,Arsenal and now even United are using the core of their squads from the continent, to catch up, or keep up with the Barca's of this world...All the rest of us are left standing.

I thought the appointment of Houllier was a step in the right direction, finally we have a man that would have insight to modern technics and training programs that would start to take us forward..

When is this club gonna find the "next" Arsene Wenger for example? A manager that came to the Premiership with no experiance of the English game, yet has kept Arsenal in the top 4 for many seasons using very little net spend(the "only" manager to do so in the whole top 6 let alone the top 4). I suppose the answer to that is NEVER because for some strange reason we can only employ a "Premiership experianced" manager only.. :bang:

Fair play General our club is watertight. Loving the fact that no journo's have the foggiest idea as to who our new manager will be.

Keep up the good work.

I want to echo this. We have complete trust you will bring the right person in.

Hi General,

This message may get lost within a sea of excited fans expressing concern about the current manager situation, but I just wanted to express gratitude for the way you handle such a barrage of questions and accusations when there is drama at the club. I don't believe I would have to patience to listen to so many people who, let's be honest, are reacting to pure speculation. I am happy that journalists seemingly don't really have a full understanding of what's going on, as it will allow the negotiations to go ahead without pressure.

Get us the right man!

Fair play General our club is watertight. Loving the fact that no journo's have the foggiest idea as to who our new manager will be.

Keep up the good work.

I want to echo this. We have complete trust you will bring the right person in.

Also echoed and apologies for the McClaren rant General, but its McClaren ;)

But this better be worth it General - not Martinez/Coyle or whatever otherwise again I fear for attendances - any of those then questions will be asked of the board and you may get the odd 'Randy Out' crap. *holds hostage*

General, can I ask a favour. When the sad day comes, hopefully not for many many years that you step down from involvement from Aston Villa in the capacity you are in now, can you write a book about your times at Aston Villa because as a fan I would love to read it. In the position you are in, the ear of Randy and a legend to Villa fans, to see how you see things whether because you know whats going on or just that you have come to this new environment which is very different to the Marines, how you have probably wanted some fans to sod off or even the press, then to the great moments you have walking and chatting to people around Villa park.....I think it would be a very interesting perspective. I hope it is something you would consider because as football fans we love to here about the past in our clubs. Just a thought anyway.

Dear General,

Please thank Randy for taking the opinion of 99% of the Aston Villa fans by cancelling the meeting with Steve McClaren. I feel we have made an important difference, and I am delighted the the board has listened to us.

General,

Please please please do not appoint Steve McClaren as our new manager! This will be a disastrous move for the board and the fans will vote with their feet!!!

General, if todays media stories are true and Randy did infact cancel his meeting with McClaren because of negative fan reactions can I please say a massive thank you to you for bringing this to his attention!

I am now excited to see how the board moves forward in this matter (hopefully doing everything to get Moyes! :D )

Keep the Faith. In Randy we Trust!

Can you confirm whether our ambitions have changed as we seem to (if you believe the media, and well trusted local jounalists) that we appear to be on the berge of appointing a manager that has finished 16th 2 seasons running, has won precisely nothing in his career (as a player and a manager) and oversaw some of the heaviest defeats in his present clubs entire history. I will back him to the hilt if he were to come, but I just want to know what part of Robeto Martinez' CV is attracting the board to be on the verge of offering him the managers role at my football club?

So okay General you turn down McClaren, now you get someone with a worse CV - no offense to Martinez, yes he is young but he's certainly not good enough, if you are wanting to compete, Rafas transfer budget was realistic, you or Randy might not like to hear it, but its realistic - We go from Benitez to Martinez, do me a favour.

and while we appreciate you like to do business incognito style, a statement is needed General, as a lot of us are getting fed up.

We want to be winning things - not be a bank disguised as a football club, or a feeder club.

General.

An appeal to you and Mr Lerner.

I read on the BBC that Steve McLaren has been discounted, and a meeting cancelled, because of negative comments on fans' forums.

Whilst I am happy that Steve McLaren has been discounted from the running, if these are the reasons, then I am truly unhappy.

If you take this forum as an example, any manager with a foreign name and some CL experience will do (except, of course, Houllier)

Martin O'Neill was a 'popular' appointment, and that took us nowhere. Mr Lerner is an experienced businessman, who has now gone through the learning curve of owning a Premiership football club. Please ask him to merely take passing notice of supporters' views and go with his instincts.

After all it is the same supporters' forums that will be taking him to task if the appointment, any appointment, goes wrong.