Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

Sellyoakvilla, or any of the other ITKs for that matter, have you heard anything about the possibility of Downing/Young moving on?

It's a possibility but the club want both to stay, Downing won't leave and if Young does it won't be this month. This signing signals intent to players like Young and Downing more than anyone else to show them look we are signing these players and we will be back up there next season so stay with us and help us get up there.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try looking at it this way, 10 years ago we paid £6 million for Balaban, a player that was unproven and unheard off in the Premier League.

If you compare the 2 players then Paying £18 million for Bent is about right in todays market.

A goalscorer will always cost you more money and be over inflated compared to other players, you have to pay premium rates.

if he doesnt drop deep

Hope Bent doesn't!!!..... Carew & Gabby played far too deep in B'ham game because they're trying to help out the midfield & defence all the time.

We need a fox in the box & just outside & there is no doubt Bent can score. He'll miss some sitters it's true but overall his stats speak for themselves.

Might be the making of Gabby as well to play with a proven scorer like Bent.

Update on SSN coming up!

as excited as i am by this i'm also a little concerned as to where it leaves us in other areas:

will Downing have to leave to balance the books? hope not.

do we still have money to strengthen other important areas such as LB & CB? hope so.

and where does this leave Gabby? on the wing? hope not.

aside from those points it'd be great if this goes through, i'd love to see Bent in a Villa shirt. not sure about having 'Bent' on the back of my Villa shirt mind.

hope we don't sell downing although I can see ALbrighton and Bannan ready for next season. Perhaps he can go in the summer.

We do need a LB and possibly a CB. But I think CB can wait until the summer.

offload

Dunne

Davies

Warnock

Petrov

L Young (even though I really like him when he plays for us)

bring in 2 CB and 1 midfielder and another Side back (hopefully Walker)

I echo this,

A lot of talk of who we are going to sell now...

I think we have a fairly set list of players that we can sell and should sell and I'd be dissapointed if we sold anyone from outside that.

Davies, Warnock, Beye, Reo Coker, Luke Young, Carew.

I would keep the rest, including Stephen Ireland, Petrov, Dunne and whoever else we might be disappointed with now.

With the addition of some quality players such as Makoun and Bent we might just start to see a different side to these players

agree with that, except for NRC. don't mind him leaving, but i'd rather see Petrov go first, Makoun isn't an out-and-out DM and because of that i think NRC could still be useful to have around, more so than Petrov anyway.

i'd get rid of big Emile aswell, if we're going to be playing 4-5-1 (which i suspect we will be) i don't see any need for having Bent, Gabby, and Heskey - he'd just be getting in the way of Fonz and Weimann in my opinion.

I have heard on two 'loose' sources that Downing does want to leave Villa, misses the North East. He goes up there pretty much most weekends (my friend drinks in the same local and I get a text around once every 3 weeks saying 'I'm in with your mate Stewie!' lol. So I wouldn't be shocked if Downing does leave, but in my opinion we can get by without him, Young and Albrighton on the wings are more than capable.

It's ridiculous comparing it to Torres, when you add in Luis Garcia (who was in top form at the time) it comes to about £30 million. Which once again, when you add in how long ago it was, shows what a potential deal we have on the cards here. Sunderland paid nearly 12 million for him and he was a supposed Spurs flop!

It really does signal our intent..

How many of the other clubs at the bottom can buy a key player from a Champions League club and a key striker from a Premiership team sitting in 6th? Birmingham are spunking themselves about going out and getting David Bentley who was desperate to get out of a club who don't regard him as good enough (although he did play very well against us).. I can't see any of the others down there having 24m available to get out of the relegation scrap...

Not saying we're guaranteed to get out of it already - but it's certainly nice to know the club are willing to show their muscle. It's quite amusing to think that having Sidwell off our books now will probably pay a fair chuck of Bent's wages..

He will be a very good signing if this goes through BUT if it really is 18 million possibly rising to 24 we have been well and truly shafted imo although im not going to complain because its not my money :D
We haven't been shafted at all. Just because his name is Darren Bent and not Redin Zukaku doesn't mean he isn't worth at least half as much as two strikers he's currently 1 goal behind in the Premier League scoring charts since 2005, which includes spending a proportion of that on the bench at Spurs.

If anything he's worth more than £18 million and if we have got him for that price then it's a bloody good deal.

If it gets to 24 million I don't care what anyone says, we have been shafted. Liverpool paid around 22 million for torres... anyway like I said I think bent would do well here and will score goals and i am not against us signing him

Bent and Torres have very similar records and Torres was purchased pre-Man City and nearly 4 years ago. Like I said, Torres sounds prettier.

Torres is also in a completely different league to Bent im afraid

Yep, such a lovely foreign name.

Read my other posts !! im not getting into an argument over torres vs bent because its just ridiculous. Im just stating that i think the fee is a little steep, im guessing you were extremely happy when we spent 8.5 million on NRC ?

and btw ill happily eat my words if he come here and plays like a 20 million quid striker, very happily