Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical VT. Positive news comes in to the club and then, bang, you log on to VT and people are complaining about the potential signing of an English striker than is proven over a number of years in the Premier League at scoring constantly.

£18M? A bit pricey compared to past examples yes, but we are in different times as players cost more nowadays due to City and Ronaldo transfers etc.

Play Bent up top with 2 quality wingers and a midfielder that can find his feet and he will score for fun.

The thing is that goals breed confidence. Goals is what we've been sadly lacking for many seasons TBF & this season more than most.

If we score goals and turn draws into wins...losses into draws & wins THEN we will be a completely different team brimming with confidence

& this will appear to be money well spent.

Only thing is, he won't get anytime to settle, we need him to score from day one & that puts an enormous amount of pressure on his shoulders.

as excited as i am by this i'm also a little concerned as to where it leaves us in other areas:

will Downing have to leave to balance the books? hope not.

do we still have money to strengthen other important areas such as LB & CB? hope so.

and where does this leave Gabby? on the wing? hope not.

aside from those points it'd be great if this goes through, i'd love to see Bent in a Villa shirt. not sure about having 'Bent' on the back of my Villa shirt mind.

hope we don't sell downing although I can see ALbrighton and Bannan ready for next season. Perhaps he can go in the summer.

We do need a LB and possibly a CB. But I think CB can wait until the summer.

offload

Dunne

Davies

Warnock

Petrov

L Young (even though I really like him when he plays for us)

bring in 2 CB and 1 midfielder and another Side back (hopefully Walker)

I echo this,

A lot of talk of who we are going to sell now...

I think we have a fairly set list of players that we can sell and should sell and I'd be dissapointed if we sold anyone from outside that.

Davies, Warnock, Beye, Reo Coker, Luke Young, Carew.

I would keep the rest, including Stephen Ireland, Petrov, Dunne and whoever else we might be disappointed with now.

With the addition of some quality players such as Makoun and Bent we might just start to see a different side to these players

you're getting one of the league's top strikers to come to a club battling relegation. Please don't take that the wrong way, I mean no offence, but it's the truth.

We won't take it the wrong way, you are absolutely right and we're a little puzzled ourselves. But if this does happen, as it seems it will, then it will be a brilliant piece of business for sure. I just hope we won't have to see Downing or Young go to pay for it. We're all hoping this is the Milner money.

Nearly 27, so should get 3-4 good seasons out of him, £18m + addons is top dollar though. Would have thought with the player wanting out and not having had the best of seasons so far we could get him for less than that. I remember thinking when he moved to Charlton for £2.5m that we'd missed out big time

Personally

--------------------Bent--------------------

-------------------Gabby-------------------

Young-----------Downing-------Albrighton

------------------Makoun-------------------

Or

--------------------Bent--------------------

------------------Downing-------------------

Young------------Adam----------Albrighton

------------------Makoun-------------------

I am refusing to enter this post fully or get excited. I would LOVE to but still hate the way I felt getting excited over Juninho, I know things are no longer the same, I just cannot allow myself to get excited. Like how much the Carling Cup final hurt. I believe, but I am just holding back to stop myself getting all upset over it.

PLEASE HAPPEN.

Qwpzxjor1

I just don't see the point in keeping a player that doesn't want to be here tbh.

He had a few niggling inuries early in the season, but hasn't looked 100% but still has 11 goals, he'll miss afew but he seems like a good lad to have around.

I'm sitting on the fence with Bruce tbh.

As for good business for the club, we desperately need a couple of midfielders and Bent / Gyan are similar both need service, the juries out on Gyan but looks decent similar to Bent, better control, not as fast lets hope he can score. WE need the money for good players, I think if (and it is an if) we spend it wisely on good players then it is good business for us, given the circumstances, if we don't it is very bad business because Bent kept us up last season without a doubt.

'We need a striker who will guarantee 20 goals a season.'

'Randy is a git and wont spend any money'

'We are going to get relegated.'

So what? People are now whinging because we are signing a guy who guarantees a 20 goal a season haul? I don't give a shit if he doesnt drop deep and drop his should past 8 players and then overhead kick the ball past the keeper. We just need a guy who will consistently put the ball in the net, which none of our players are able to. £18 + add ons is about right for an english striker in his prime who scores 20 a season. How much would we want for Gabby? £12-14m? He scores 10 in the league at best. This is a great signing, and importantly it sends a clear message out to the rest of the premiership....

**** YOU WE ARE BACK IN BUSINESS.

He will be a very good signing if this goes through BUT if it really is 18 million possibly rising to 24 we have been well and truly shafted imo although im not going to complain because its not my money :D
We haven't been shafted at all. Just because his name is Darren Bent and not Redin Zukaku doesn't mean he isn't worth at least half as much as two strikers he's currently 1 goal behind in the Premier League scoring charts since 2005, which includes spending a proportion of that on the bench at Spurs.

If anything he's worth more than £18 million and if we have got him for that price then it's a bloody good deal.

If it gets to 24 million I don't care what anyone says, we have been shafted. Liverpool paid around 22 million for torres... anyway like I said I think bent would do well here and will score goals and i am not against us signing him

Bent and Torres have very similar records and Torres was purchased pre-Man City and nearly 4 years ago. Like I said, Torres sounds prettier.

Torres is also in a completely different league to Bent im afraid

Yep, such a lovely foreign name.