Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Mr H has taken a fair bit of flak and has weathered some extenuating circumstances thus far.

However after bringing off the transfer coup of the season bringing in Darren Bent and then watching his reaction as Bent scored what was to be the winner and the change of expression in the after the match interviews, I am convinced that GH is developing that claret and blue blood.

Time will tell but if we have reached the turning point and Villa keeps putting in the effort like we did yesterday we will all be a lot more cheerful at B6 and that Proud Villan spirit will be back for good.

What did Villa need ? Goals. What did GH do? He went out and bought us one of the Prem's top 3 goal scorers.

How many Villa managers have done anything like that before? I'll leave you to count them but I can't think of any in my lifetime.

Thank You M. Houllier, you have restored my faith in AVFC by your efforts in this window. Onwards and Upwards ! UTV

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the Man City result is a genuine turning point - pretty confident it will be as perfomances of late have been decent.

However results under Houllier were still diabolical lets not kid oursleves there - could see what was trying to do and yes injuries et were bad but either way results were simply unaccepatable. Lets hope we'll kickstart from here on and what has been good us signing Bent etc .

Will happily support Houllier myself but i aint about to talk about how brilliant etc hes been either...

It's nice that he seems to be a lot happier recently, his reaction to Bent's goal wasn't that of a man that didn't care, i was in the Houllier out camp as i was so worried about getting relegated but he is proving me wrong at the moment. Still a long, long way to go though.

We've got rid of and dropped some of the players who are no longer interested in playing for the club and results are starting to improve. Coincidence? I think not. It was always going to take time and a change in formation/playing style mid-season was never going to be routine. Win against Wigan and we're only two points off the top half. After such a disasterous season it's not looking too bad now we've been able to get rid of bad influences and bring in a couple of quality additions. Whether or not you like the man he is starting to turn things around and it was ridiculously unfair to judge him based on three or four months. I think it's fair to judge him in 12-18 months where he's had three transfer windows to perform, and I'd say he's done a bloody good job so far in the first one - both with the ins and outs.

We've got rid of and dropped some of the players who are no longer interested in playing for the club and results are starting to improve. Coincidence? I think not. It was always going to take time and a change in formation/playing style mid-season was never going to be routine. Win against Wigan and we're only two points off the top half. After such a disasterous season it's not looking too bad now we've been able to get rid of bad influences and bring in a couple of quality additions. Whether or not you like the man he is starting to turn things around and it was ridiculously unfair to judge him based on three or four months. I think it's fair to judge him in 12-18 months where he's had three transfer windows to perform, and I'd say he's done a bloody good job so far in the first one - both with the ins and outs.

Disagree a bit. Houllier made unneccesary problems for himself at times(liverpool game / talking too much) in last few months and regardless of cirumstances has to take critisicism for simply unaccpeatle results and some shocking performances - league position is still a disgrace,

However yes done well this transfer window and seems to be better vibes amongst the place at moment and am relatively confident we will do well under him now.

Richard Dunne's shocking early season form, dismissal from the squad and return to the fold in top form is one of the more bizarre sub-plots of Houllier's reign. Can Houllier take the credit for rehabilitating Dunne's form & attitude or is it simply coincidence - ie Dunne getting a few weeks off to get his body & mind back into shape?

Disagree a bit. Houllier made unneccesary problems for himself at times(liverpool game / talking too much) in last few months and regardless of cirumstances has to take critisicism for simply unaccpeatle results and some shocking performances - league position is still a disgrace,

However yes done well this transfer window and seems to be better vibes amongst the place at moment and am relatively confident we will do well under him now.

Of course. He is far from a saint but he has recieved too much slack for what was actually not a lot his fault. The two things that he's done that annoyed me in the main were the post-Liverpool comments and his treatment of Stephen Ireland. He's done well to turn this around a little bit though.

Richard Dunne's shocking early season form, dismissal from the squad and return to the fold in top form is one of the more bizarre sub-plots of Houllier's reign. Can Houllier take the credit for rehabilitating Dunne's form & attitude or is it simply coincidence - ie Dunne getting a few weeks off to get his body & mind back into shape?

I think he should take the credit. He saw there was a problem, eradicated it, gave him another chance and he's back to his original form. It should have happened but I'm not sure how many managers would have given him another chance.

I think he should take the credit. He saw there was a problem, eradicated it, gave him another chance and he's back to his original form. It should have happened but I'm not sure how many managers would have given him another chance.

I would've had Dunne out in January so he made the right call there.

What is it, 4 wins in 17 games? Something like that.

I still consider him extremely fortunate to still be in the job given his record, some of his conduct and some of the things he has said.

He has had a good January in terms of the transfer window, no question.

I'm not though going to change my view on him on that alone its going to take a lot better results over a prolonged period of time to do that.

I must admit i wanted to see Gerard get to the January window to see what his about, until the Liverpool game. i reacted badly to that nonsense, i really wanted him out. That will the awful form, im surprised he's reached this time.

Now im willing to give him a few more months again. 2 wins 2 draw and a loss i blame Heskey for, in the last 5 shows a great improvement and Walker and Bent already look like great signings and Makoun is the type of player we've been vrying out for for a while.

He's still a long way from being in my good books, but he is inching out of my bad books.

I still consider him extremely fortunate to still be in the job given his record, some of his conduct and some of the things he has said.

I'm not though going to change my view on him on that alone its going to take a lot better results over a prolonged period of time to do that.

So, stepping into Randy's shoes for a day - would you sack him or continue to back him?

So, stepping into Randy's shoes for a day - would you sack him or continue to back him?

A bit of a daft question if you don't mind me saying.

I mean when? Today? No obviously not there are some signs of improvement.

That said, its one win. Its his 4th win in 17 games or something like that, I think is obvious that he must improve and do so significantly which is the point I was making.

And any Manager should deserve that chance, especially given the turmoil, disruption and injuries GH was confronted with when he arrived.

In the 08/09 season MON won only 2 of his last 17 games, but he had a great run up until that point. If the run of results would have been back to front he may of gone at Christmas. Lets see where we are in May.

About where I am . I'm just s bit stronger in the "Convinced he is not the right man" envelope

I remain a bit on the fence. In a way I'm glad we've stuck with him. On the other I'm still not sure h'es the right man.

I'd always been in the "give him time as long as we'll stay up" camp. but then when it appeared we were just in free fall, I turned and wanted him out.

I don't know now. Part of me thinks he could do really well here given time. Part of me thinks he isn't the right man and the longer we keep him in the more time we're wasting.

A bit of a daft question if you don't mind me saying.

I mean when? Today? No obviously not there are some signs of improvement.

That said, its one win. Its his 4th win in 17 games or something like that, I think is obvious that he must improve and do so significantly which is the point I was making.

Bit of a radical statement n all but I reckon he might be ever so slightly aware of this.........

Always tried to keep myself agenda free on this one. Wanted him gone when I thought it would benefit us to get a new manager in. Now Im happy to see him stay if the results continue to improve.

Is that Fickle? Not sure, I just want the best for AVFC regardless of who the manager is.

I'm pretty much a typical fan, in that after the Man City away game I was so angry that I desperately wanted him to leave. But now, after the game at the weekend, I can see that things are coming round and I'm glad that Randy's backing him and think we should all get behind him....

I know its fickle, and that I shouldn't have my mind changed so easily off the back of a couple of good performances, but the club just feels like it's been injected with life again. I can now honestly see us winning 10/12 games and finishing in the top half.

Â