Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Their headhunter told them he was the best man for the job.

Under the scope they gave the headhunter which was probably "cheap, not currently employed by another club, has a good proven record of working on youth development, can work with limited funds and managed in the champions league"

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres my take on Houllier - all IMO of course:

Personally I think hes been royally **** over by the chairman, MON & The players.

It is plainly obvious to me that the chairman has proper **** up, letting the wage bill spiral out of control and allowing MON to spend over the top on average, aging players that we're struggling to move on and appointing him after the transfer window was shut. Now we are in this position Houllier is going to have his hands tied in the transfer market.......... that isnt GH's fault, thats the Chairmans.

Also, Houllier IMO, was appointed by the club to change the culture and the methods longterm, also to look at our youth players, for his extensive knowledge & contacts of the game, and also his proven track record. Now this takes time, and by all accounts, the culture that Houllier is trying to put in place is a world apart from MON's methods. Under MON I dont think the team was managed, just more motivated - the inside track tells us that it was a bit of a holiday camp under MON with players coming & going as they pleased - whereas under GH he is very strict and professional in these methods and expects his players to buy into it - in a nutshell THEYRE NOT and wont play for him............... and dont think a lot of them ever will.

I feel Houllier is the man to take us forward, but he needs the time & backing to bring in his own players who will enter into his methods and play for him - if that time & backing isnt the case, we just need to get rid as hes not the man we need and bring in a motivator / pragmatist along the lines of Allardyce to kick our way to safety..........

It is my belief the chairman wants to change the culture behind the scenes on the playing staff as hes had his fingers well & truly burnt financially with the previous regime, and I think Houllier is that man to do it - but Lerner is gonna need balls of steel to hold on till the results turn, and they will turn under Houllier - but hes gonna need a few of his "own men" on the field leading from the front to kickstart it........

MON was overrated, his brand of football only takes you so far for so long and every club he departs, he departs when it cant go any further cos hes spent all the money or hes got too many old players on huge contracts............... this is what is hindering Houllier

I aggree, results have been a shambles, performances up & down, and Houllier has made mistakes in selections for some games - but lets be realistic - hes had most of our senior pro's injured for longspells - a few who wouldnt even put a shirt on for him........ this will take time to sort..........

But ive got faith

My beleif is that Houllier sold the board his vision:-

Young players

Foreign players - scouted from GH'S CONTACTS

Cheaper transfer fees and wages as a result of these young foreign kids

Revultionise the training methods

Revolultionise the scouting system

It seems to me the board are so taken with the vision - of a better team on greatly reduced costs - they just can not see that Houllier is 'blagging it' - the Nirvana they hope for doesn't exist. -

Yes we will get the costs down - at the cost of premier league football.

I do think there is an underlying problem with the lack of football 'knowledge'/contacts that exist at Villa. Faulkner/Lerner have to put their trust in Houllier because they know no one else. Their headhunter told them he was the best man for the job.

There head hunter should be head hunted and put down like the dog he/she is bloody bumbling buffoon.

I would sell Collins, Warnock, Petrov, NRC, Carew, Friedel, Luke, Dunne and Pires. Replace them with Samba, Given, Walker, Diarra, Makoun, a striker, a left back, another right back and a central defender... We need a real clearing of our assets. A bunch of players who are simply not good enough to take this team forward. And, if that is the plan of Houllier then I would actually agrre with him and support him. But, of course not at any price, we can NOT get relegated. Hpullier and Lerner, you have to act - get rid of the scum, buy some good players and make us stay up... Then we can focus on progress in the summer... I still belive we can turn this around, but we have to change the group of players and we have to act fast... We have no idea of what Houlliers thoughts are, but If I were the manager of Villa at the moment I would chip a whole lot of players out to buy players who are up for the football played in 2011, because these players just arent good enough for PL 2011. If that is the plan of Houllier then we should see what he can bring out of the transfer window.. In all honest he has not had an easy job with these kind of crap players, they are not his players and they are a bunch players with an ego that I simply do not want at our club.

Houllier and Lerner, please act and act fast...

Under the scope they gave the headhunter which was probably "cheap, not currently employed by another club, has a good proven record of working on youth development, can work with limited funds and managed in the champions league"

Exactly.

It's this kind of overly 'professional' attitude from Lerner that is costing us at the moment.

He's probably the only one in the premiership unwilling to ruffle some feather's for the benefit of his own club, and it's costing him.

Mon wouldve struggled big time, look at the injuries, he wanted to sell Bannan, no way would he have backed Hogg and Clark and doubtfull Albrighton wouldve had such a run.

It'd be Osbourne, Sidwell, Salif..... i cant bare to say it.

Yep, this is O'Neill's mess as much as Houllier's, if not more.

O'Neill leaves a dark cloud over every club that he manages and I rue the day that he became involved with our club. In this instance hindsight is a not so wonderful thing.

Im glad someone else see's it.

I'm interested to know what is the point of blaming all this on MON?

I am not blaming it all on MON.

The point was that he leaves a dark cloud wherever he goes, largely because a large enough number of supporters believe him to be some kind of Messiah, and give any one that follows him little or no chance.

Last night, after we conceded, Villa supporters sang 'You're getting sacked in the morning' to a Villa manager. Not the Sunderland supporters, Villa supporters.

The cloud of O'Neill will hang over us for many years to come.......

Who is the HeadHunter as i'd seriously like to hunt him down.

Haha! I don't know, but it's not their fault - they just provide suggestions for candidates given the criteria.

Faulkner has always appeared full of conviction over GH's appointment - would almost suggest he is "his man"..

I was at the press conference when Houllier was presented and I was very surprised by Faulkner's demeanour - I expected him to be a bit more circumspect, but he was like the cat that got the cream...

Or they might have instructed said headhunter to go and find the best possible man for the job but who's splitting hairs.

I see the ones that want houllier to stay are doing what they do best, blaming everyone else.

Even if we don't go down what's the point in keeping him. He's already showed me that he's not gonna be able to improve on what we did under MON at any point.

I don't care what the board say, he keeps losing and he's gone. Houllier will not be in charge by the end of the season.

Mon wouldve struggled big time, look at the injuries, he wanted to sell Bannan, no way would he have backed Hogg and Clark and doubtfull Albrighton wouldve had such a run.

It'd be Osbourne, Sidwell, Salif..... i cant bare to say it.

Yep, this is O'Neill's mess as much as Houllier's, if not more.

O'Neill leaves a dark cloud over every club that he manages and I rue the day that he became involved with our club. In this instance hindsight is a not so wonderful thing.

Im glad someone else see's it.

I'm interested to know what is the point of blaming all this on MON?

I am not blaming it all on MON.

The point was that he leaves a dark cloud wherever he goes, largely because a large enough number of supporters believe him to be some kind of Messiah, and give any one that follows him little or no chance.

Last night, after we conceded, Villa supporters sang 'You're getting sacked in the morning' to a Villa manager. Not the Sunderland supporters, Villa supporters.

The cloud of O'Neill will hang over us for many years to come.......

Is that not just a large section of Shit supporters?

I couldnt believe my ears when they started singing this, I turned around in disgust to look back at a good 50% of the holte joining in, if not more.

Pathetic thing to do during a game.

We are joint 7th to go down

West Ham - 8/13

Wigan - 8/11

Wolves - 4/5

West Brom - 5/2

Blackpool - 11/4

Birmingham - 10/3

Fulham - 7/2

Aston Villa - 7/2

Houllier is the 4th favourite to be sacked next.

Hodgson, R. - 2/5

Grant, A. - 11/8

Ancelotti, C. - 9/2

Houllier, G. - 9/1

Also here are the favourites to be the next Villa boss if Houllier did leave.

Allardyce S - 5/2

Macdonald K - 4/1

Benitez R - 5/1

Jol M - 8/1

Klinnsmann J - 12/1

Erikksson S - 12/1

McClaren S - 14/1

Wilkins R - 16/1

heres my take on Houllier - all IMO of course:

Personally I think hes been royally **** over by the chairman, MON & The players.

It is plainly obvious to me that the chairman has proper **** up, letting the wage bill spiral out of control and allowing MON to spend over the top on average, aging players that we're struggling to move on and appointing him after the transfer window was shut. Now we are in this position Houllier is going to have his hands tied in the transfer market.......... that isnt GH's fault, thats the Chairmans.

Also, Houllier IMO, was appointed by the club to change the culture and the methods longterm, also to look at our youth players, for his extensive knowledge & contacts of the game, and also his proven track record. Now this takes time, and by all accounts, the culture that Houllier is trying to put in place is a world apart from MON's methods. Under MON I dont think the team was managed, just more motivated - the inside track tells us that it was a bit of a holiday camp under MON with players coming & going as they pleased - whereas under GH he is very strict and professional in these methods and expects his players to buy into it - in a nutshell THEYRE NOT and wont play for him............... and dont think a lot of them ever will.

I feel Houllier is the man to take us forward, but he needs the time & backing to bring in his own players who will enter into his methods and play for him - if that time & backing isnt the case, we just need to get rid as hes not the man we need and bring in a motivator / pragmatist along the lines of Allardyce to kick our way to safety..........

It is my belief the chairman wants to change the culture behind the scenes on the playing staff as hes had his fingers well & truly burnt financially with the previous regime, and I think Houllier is that man to do it - but Lerner is gonna need balls of steel to hold on till the results turn, and they will turn under Houllier - but hes gonna need a few of his "own men" on the field leading from the front to kickstart it........

MON was overrated, his brand of football only takes you so far for so long and every club he departs, he departs when it cant go any further cos hes spent all the money or hes got too many old players on huge contracts............... this is what is hindering Houllier

I aggree, results have been a shambles, performances up & down, and Houllier has made mistakes in selections for some games - but lets be realistic - hes had most of our senior pro's injured for longspells - a few who wouldnt even put a shirt on for him........ this will take time to sort..........

But ive got faith

Good post to be honest... I just don't have the patience to have written it. As well as being absolutely distraught about yesterday as well as our plight. :winkold:

b6bloke - thetrees Are you warming to the idea of seeing us relegated? :o

No of course not but if we did I would find my yes to it in the end and get on with my support (see my sig below)

You may ask how I could accept relegation but did the barcode fans sit there crying all through the following season or did they get on with it and support them to help them up.

This season I have started to lose my passion for the premiership thanks to the money situation so if we did go down I would find solace in that we can get back to basics on the field and have a breather before coming back up.

I would cry if we go down but I have been through this before and you ask the fans who went to the games the following season and the support was bloody fantastic! I was speaking to some barcode fans who said they really enjoyed last season.

The biggest hurt for me would be having the scum rub our nose in it but unlike the vanishing act of the glory hunters in recent months I will still be there

We are joint 7th to go down

West Ham - 8/13

Wigan - 8/11

Wolves - 4/5

West Brom - 5/2

Blackpool - 11/4

Birmingham - 10/3

Fulham - 7/2

Aston Villa - 7/2

Houllier is the 4th favourite to be sacked next.

Hodgson, R. - 2/5

Grant, A. - 11/8

Ancelotti, C. - 9/2

Houllier, G. - 9/1

Also here are the favourites to be the next Villa boss if Houllier did leave.

Allardyce S - 5/2

Macdonald K - 4/1

Benitez R - 5/1

Jol M - 8/1

Klinnsmann J - 12/1

Erikksson S - 12/1

McClaren S - 14/1

Wilkins R - 16/1

How Blackpool have shorter odds than us is beyond me. I'm half-tempted to put a bet on us to go down, given those odds.

Surely if we sack Houllier and bring a new manager, with little time to buy anyone, who will still have the same MON loving players as Houllier, make them stop **** around in training and keep us up is also built on nothing but hope?

Surely if we sack Houllier and bring a new manager, with little time to buy anyone, who will still have the same MON loving players as Houllier, make them stop **** around in training and keep us up is also built on nothing but hope?

It gives us a chance to have a say in our fate.

Houllier has shown nothing to say he can do better.

We can bring in someone who has something that says they can.

Â