The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

But everyone copies Apple. I mean Fujistu owned the trademark "ipad" at the time Jobs announced it. They'd used it on a tablet device since 2002.

I recognise that the ipad has made the tablet a viable platform, but Apple refine; they don't innovate and I dislike it when they criticise others for copying when copying is the core of their philosophy.

But everyone copies Apple. I mean Fujistu owned the trademark "ipad" at the time Jobs announced it. They'd used it on a tablet device since 2002.

I recognise that the ipad has made the tablet a viable platform, but Apple refine; they don't innovate and I dislike it when they criticise others for copying when copying is the core of their philosophy.

Indeed.

It's what they do extremely well as well. I mean just look at that cover, the same basic idea, but by adding in a bit of refinement (the magnets) it takes it to another level.

But they haven't innovated a single new product to market. All of their "post-pc" (what a load of shite that is seeing as you need a pc to activate them) products are just refinements of things that were already there. Sure they do refinement and design extremely well, but they are never at the cutting edge of progress. Mp3 players, smartphones, tablets, had all been around for a LONG time before apple got on board with them.

Jobs is one of the biggest hypocrites going, but people just lap everything he says up, it's ridiculous really. How he can stand on stage and decry the year of the copycats when his company copies everything it can get away with, I'd list the long list of os x "features" that are just copy pasted from open source alternatives, but I don't think I have long enough to do the list justice.

Apple seem to have deluded a huge amount of consumers into thinking they have original ideas, they don't. Like their competitors they see what others are doing and go "we could do that, but better!" and often they are right, and they come out with some awesome products.

It's like how "the ipad2 will be the first dual core table to ship in volume" nice qualifier there, because they missed the dual core ship by a long while, they add on an arbitrary qualifier that has no real meaning. Yet the consumer will lap it up going "yeah first dual core, everyone else copied!"

Some of the new features on IOS 4.3 are cool, gestures especially.

Yah tis about bloody time we too got that cool little feature.

It's about time you got a clock that can handle switching to and from daylight savings as well, but it looks like you'll be waiting longer for that ;)

Can someone outline for me the point in the iPad? I like the look of them etc etc, but I have an iPhone. Would there be much point in investing in one? What limitations are there on the iPad?

Cheers all.

Can someone outline for me the point in the iPad? I like the look of them etc etc, but I have an iPhone. Would there be much point in investing in one? What limitations are there on the iPad?

Cheers all.

Its a luxury really, if you can afford it and dont have a laptop then it 'might' be worth it

Can do lots with it and its nice to use thats about it really.

If you have a laptop its not really worth it.

A review...

Right now, as an all-round proposition, there’s nothing to touch the iPad 2. That might change in time, the :

- Motorola Xoom,

- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1,

- LG Optimus Pad,

- RIM BlackBerry PlayBook and

- HP TouchPad

are all gearing up to challenge it. But apart from the Galaxy Tab 10.1’s Super AMOLED display, nothing we’ve seen in any of these rivals seems to threaten the iPad 2. And even if a plausible alternative does emerge, it will be many moons before any other tablet can seriously compete with Apple’s ecosystem of more than 65,000 iPad-specific apps.

So for the next several months at least, the iPad 2 is in a league of its own, in terms of design, battery life and app support. Even the price is sensible, matching the original iPad dollar for dollar in the US. UK pricing has yet to be officially confirmed, but the Wi-Fi only 16GB version looks set to cost £439 inc VAT, increasing for the 3G and larger capacity versions.

You may not like the way Apple does business – its 30% cut on app-generated revenue has been branded by some as anti-competitive – and the way Apple devices lock you into the dreadful iTunes is hardly enticing. There’s still no USB or SD card slot, and there’s still no support for Flash.

Overall, though, the iPad 2 experience is overwhelmingly positive. We wish the cameras were better, and that Apple would open up its closed system just a weeny bit; but for what it is, the iPad 2 is a superb device, a resounding success in a market where Apple’s every competitor has so far failed. If you’re in the market for a tablet, you’d be mad not to put it at the top of your list.

The rest.....

Yah tis a very nice bit of kit, sleek and sexy and very usable.

A glorified iphone, a pretty but less useful laptop or an appealing netbook alternative.

Personally not for me at the price quoted plus can I forgive the lack of flash...just not sure I can...also a crap camera, bloody thin though!

It is down to use, we could have had tablets years ago but Apple had the momentum to put an operating system on a tablet rather than waiting for tablet hardware to catch up with currents OS's, which is what the others have been doing for years hence no real attempts in the tablet field.

For me I like the flexibility of a pc experience so the ipad purchase is really a cheap deal or a hand me down/competition win....a bit like all of my Mac experiences...it does exactly what is says on the tin, but Ronseal is still much better value.

Cheers all.

It doesn't have one.

Not even on the corners, 'cos they round them off.

Until it's shiny.

Lithium based rechargeable batteries are shipped with a charge as it is not good to leave them uncharged. It'll work out of the box, but it'll be fine to use it while it's charging.

Cheers guys.

Next question, I've gone through registering it with itunes etc, and went through the copying my contacts from my old phone, but for some reason I don't have any contacts other than my name and number in the phone.

I've taken out the iphone sim, gone through the procedure again moving the contact numbers from my old phone to new sim, still have no contacts??

Any ideas why?

Â