The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

I always found Skyfire to be unusable. Maybe it is because I havent tried it in 12 months and/or because I have a second gen iPod touch which doesnt have the grunt of the newer devices, but I was very very unimpressed by it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded an app called crackle.

It is a free movie/tv show streaming service from Sony.

Content is a little limited at the moment but it has a good UI and great potential.

Anybody know if there is a problem with the app store at the moment?

An update of Facebook is available however on my home screen under the Facebook icon it has said 'waiting' for over an hour now. I've even tried to download the update on my laptop through iTunes, it tells me an update is available but gives me an error message when I try to download it.

Any ideas why this is happening?

30rtizb.png

bbc"]iPhone tracks users' movements

Apple iPhones and 3G iPads are secretly recording and storing details of all their owners' movements, researchers claim.

Location data is kept in a hidden, unencrypted file according to security experts Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden.

With the right software, it can be used to map exactly where a person has been.

Apple has yet to comment on the revelation, however there is no suggestion that it has been uploading or using the information.

Note to all those having an affair - ditch your iphone.

Would you need to have your location thing set to on for that though (forgot the name of it)? Mine is always off.

Nope. This thing does not require the Location Services to be on. It seems like it's using tower triangulation rather than the GPS.

Would you need to have your location thing set to on for that though (forgot the name of it)? Mine is always off.

Nope. This thing does not require the Location Services to be on. It seems like it's using tower triangulation rather than the GPS.

If your iphone is jailbroken you can download an app through Cydia called "Untrackerd" that will stop the nosey buggers.

bbc"]iPhone tracks users' movements

Apple iPhones and 3G iPads are secretly recording and storing details of all their owners' movements, researchers claim.

Location data is kept in a hidden, unencrypted file according to security experts Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden.

With the right software, it can be used to map exactly where a person has been.

Apple has yet to comment on the revelation, however there is no suggestion that it has been uploading or using the information.

Note to all those having an affair - ditch your iphone.

1. Apple is not collecting this data.

2. This hidden file is neither new nor secret.

3. This “discovery” was published months ago.

Apparently...

1. Apple is not collecting this data.

2. This hidden file is neither new nor secret.

3. This “discovery” was published months ago.

Apparently...

Oh, that makes it all right then!

Actually no, it doesn't.

Lets look at what he says is the "explanation" of it:

The Core Location framework lets you determine the current location or heading associated with a device. The framework uses the available hardware to determine the user’s position and heading. You use the classes and protocols in this framework to configure and schedule the delivery of location and heading events. You can also use it to define geographic regions and monitor when the user crosses the boundaries of those regions.

Wait, what's that, determine the CURRENT LOCATION? Damn, that sure explains why a log of HISTORICAL location data is on my phone!

There is no reason why ANY of the location features on the iphone need a historical log of movements. There's no pattern matching going on, no historical routes being used by ANY app or exposed by any APIs, so why do they need to store historical data for a current location service?

If you can read that entire post, including where he nicely details how HE USES that file in forensics to trace people's movements, and not be at all worried by the potential of this file, then you're an idiot.

Err more...

1_This database isn’t storing GPS data. It’s just making a rough location fix based on nearby cell towers. The database can’t reveal where you were…only that you were in a certain vicinity. Sometimes it’s miles and miles off. This implies that the logfile’s purpose is to track the performance of the phone and the network, and not the movements of the user.

2_A third party couldn’t get access to this file without physical access to your computer or your iPhone. Not unless you’ve jailbroken your iPhone and didn’t bother resetting its remote-access password…or there’s an unpatched exploit that would give Random Person On The Internet root access to your phone.

3_It’s pretty much a non-issue if you’ve clicked the “Encrypt iPhone Backup” option in iTunes. Even with physical access to your desktop, a no-goodnik wouldn’t be able to access the logfile.

:?

I pretty much don't care. The government tracks your movement every day on hundreds of CCTV cameras every day, especially in the big cities or if you're a minority. So why should I worry about a company that make phones. I have nothing to hide and I wouldn't be surprised at anything big companies or the various governments would do. This kinda news is just to worry people.

Picked up an ipad 2 yesterday, I wouldn't normally be so indulgent but I sold a load of stuff that was lying around gathering dust on fleabay so had a bit of spare cash.

Have to say i'm pretty impressed so far and a different experience to the iphone.

Â