Work Christmas Parties

trekka

Evenin' all,

I have my Christmas work "lunch" tomorrow. For the first time in 3 years, I have not looked forward to it. It is set in a place that I hate, it is really overpriced and the staff stare at you with disgust during the meal until you finish your plate. It also has an atmosphere "to be desired". The fact that we'll be staying at the same place during the course of the evening and sat on the same table with the same people I sit next to everyday at work makes me wish I could be somewhere else :(

Last year though was totally different. We all ended up in a country pub (about 40 of us). It was a proper carvery with a freshly cooked turkey and roast and because we had the place to ourselves it made it fairly special. We ended up doing something akin to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party (every 30 minutes - change places!). That and the fact that there were lots of country pubs within walking distance added a bit of variety. I met and got to know lots of new people that day whom I never knew existed!

Am I wrong to hate this year's Christmas "do"?

Anyone having any interesting work parties?

EDIT: Ooooh and a big no no is to have it before we finish work :( Last year was great; we all finished on the same day as the Christmas "do". This year - I'm being forced to work until 22nd :( A few days is fair enough but more than a week? Bah!

Humbug!

I already didn't go to one of them. I am told I saved myself a lot of trouble. But I have another Christmas party this Saturday. And still another after that. The last one will be fine. But the one this Saturday I am unsure of. I will be very uncomfortable. I have to dress nice and be surrounded by people that ALWAYS dress nice. Either way I will be leaving early.

I've got mine tomorrow night. It could be messy. Usually we go for a sit down meal and then there's a band and dj after but this year it's just finger food. At least with the full meal people would stay reasonably civilised but this will just be messy from the off as most will probably head out straight after work (me included) A few married men have succumbed to temptation in recent years too. What is it with Christmas parties? Everyone is always well up for it!

Either way I will be leaving early.

High five! That is my plan for tomorrow. I can't afford to pay for rounds of drinks and clubs etc, so as soon as the corporate festivities are over, I'm doing a runner :D

(and then get drunk at home :lol:)

Tomorrow I will be out with a bunch from a place I left 10 years ago - still get the invite :-)

Next week we have a work one in Liverpool of all places - so a night over in a good hotel, free food and plenty of festive ooooch

We kind of had one last weekend, our sales team won a competition and a kitty of money to do what we like so we went to Villa Park meal event thing will free drinks all night was a brilliant night everyone enjoyed themselves and no-one remembers what happened!

Our other one is a family fun day at work next week, with santa and kids events not very interesting!

got mine next week. Ours last year consisted of a buy one get one free meal during the afternoon on the last day. This year were all booked in at a hotel for a decent 3 course meal then the usual drunkeness. Cant wait.

a hotel in cheltenham?

The 24 hour bug is your friend here. Let them tell you what a great time they all had and you can tell them how sorry you are you missed it.

The truth, of course, will be that it was shite and you won't be sorry. You might get to hear some tales of shame, though.

Tomorrow I will be out with a bunch from a place I left 10 years ago - still get the invite

i assume it's not for the joke telling either :-)

Waiting for a funny one I guess. That or for his round, same sort of timescale.

Works parties are shit....been to a few in my time and it's always same old same old. Things have changed in recent years too, I know someone that got sacked for an altercation at an Xmas party...not a fight, she got physically attacked and because she defended herself lost her job.

**** em, go out with your mates instead, you can kick off all you like then.

We have ours tomorrow night, for the last 3 years we have been to the same chinese restaurant in Newcastle but this year we are having a change..............we are going to the chinese restaurant next door :cry:

And 2 of the better laugh's from the office aren't going and 2 others have left so :cry:

there will be 8 of us inc 2 old crows, one fella who always goes at 10.30 so he can get a lift home and a dutch temp who no one has ever talked too...................................should be a scream :cry:

F**k it gonna get pissed

mines friday night, im not going, waste of money IMO over priced shite beer and i hate getting suited and booted

but i will have at least 3 dinners next week, hopefully a repeat of last year where we went to miller and carters (?) steakhouse on the 449 just outside wolves, amazing place, all paid for

mines next week , normally go for a balti which turns into a chilli eating competition then back to the pub to get absolutely CARLOS CUELLARED..........

villa4 europe: Miller And Carter on a449 is just down the road from me, cracking meal everytime!!!!

Mine's at the Speckled Hen next Thursday.

I can't be **** arsed for it. I'm the only male that works in the whole place, and I get on with one of the girls there properly. I get £15 towards it but it's going to be **** dreadful.

Either way I will be leaving early.

High five! That is my plan for tomorrow. I can't afford to pay for rounds of drinks and clubs etc, so as soon as the corporate festivities are over, I'm doing a runner :D

(and then get drunk at home :lol:)

Well I just found out it's also a birthday party for the one this saturday. too much pressure to dress pretty and get the right gift. However because of this party I do have saturday night off from my night job so I will STILL duck out early and while I can't spend a lot of money I can have a few drinks else where.

*high five back*

Â