Snow Watch!

trekka

Spelt your name with a capital, clearly on purpose, just trying to be really immature and wind you up....or is it one rule for me and another rule for someone else?

I see little to no evidence that our man from Gloucs is trying to be immature or trying to wind anyone up.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shed load here in the Stourbridge area. No going out tonight, my mate leaves for Australia (watch the last two test matches the jammy sod) on Monday hope he can get out.

Do you mean enough snow to fill a shed or an amount typical of a load shed from the back of a lorry?

Shed load here in the Stourbridge area. No going out tonight, my mate leaves for Australia (watch the last two test matches the jammy sod) on Monday hope he can get out.

Do you mean enough snow to fill a shed or an amount typical of a load shed from the back of a lorry?

:clap:

Edit: That was an excellent thread.

:clap:

Edit: That was an excellent thread.

What thread would that be?

:winkold:

Whoops, I'm off topic. There is snow outside my house. (Fixed).

Well I'm disgusted. I've been over to see ex realtives in Wednesbury this afternoon and Sandwell Council haven't even

bothered to grit the A34 even by the Scott Arms, which is one of the busiest junctions in Europe for goodness sake!

Newton Road's not at all gritted neither. These are main arterial routes!!

Fair does the side roads aren't cleared or gritted but the main roads are a disgrace.

ALL of the gritters in Cumbria are out & about 24/7 when it's like this and what's more every single one of them doubleS up as a snow plough. The farmers keep our roads clear round the village, I know, which helps alot,

but I'm genuinely shocked to see the state of the roads down here after a few inches of snow! It's been relatively warm up to now today, but the temperature is quickly dropping & frozen slush is going to turn into black ice overnight.

Sandwell Council should hang their heads in shame! If I was a shopkeeper I'd be furious, they must have lost loads the last Saturday coming up to Xmas.

Ridiculous. Other countries cope....

mmm... I'm sure countries who have this weather more often than the UK do cope better on most occasions although I did hear on the radio about a guy who spent two hours travelling just a few miles to Stockholm airport only to find it was shut because of snow. Also many individuals in 'snowy' countries swap to winter tyres which keep their vehicles moving; how many Brits go to that expense?

If the UK spent a billion pounds more on infrastructure to cope better with snow and it didn't snow badly for a couple of years, can you imagine the Daily Mail / Daily Express style uproar?

Pretty much this. I'm repeating myself here, but a snowstorm isnt a snowstorm without some guy at an airport being interviewed for the news and saying:

"I'm from Canada/Sweden/Finland/ and we can cope with it fine..."

It's not some massive oversight. It's just the British climate, we have wet summers and mild winters. We might have a week of extreme snowfall once every two or three years. We could spend the money on permanent staff and equipment to keep it clear, but when the lads who have that for a job dont lift a finger for 18 months because it hasnt snowed, what do we do? Make them redundant?

mmm... I'm sure countries who have this weather more often than the UK do cope better on most occasions although I did hear on the radio about a guy who spent two hours travelling just a few miles to Stockholm airport only to find it was shut because of snow. Also many individuals in 'snowy' countries swap to winter tyres which keep their vehicles moving; how many Brits go to that expense?

If the UK spent a billion pounds more on infrastructure to cope better with snow and it didn't snow badly for a couple of years, can you imagine the Daily Mail / Daily Express style uproar?

Pretty much this. I'm repeating myself here, but a snowstorm isnt a snowstorm without some guy at an airport being interviewed for the news and saying:

Just heard a better one than that on the radio. Some irate African guy at Heathrow, ranting along the lines of: "This is pathetic! You woudn't get this sort of bad organisation even at Lagos airport!"

I wonder how much snow Lagos gets? :lol:

Just heard a better one than that on the radio. Some irate African guy at Heathrow, ranting along the lines of: "This is pathetic! You woudn't get this sort of bad organisation even at Lagos airport!"

I wonder how much snow Lagos gets? :lol:

If he gives me his bank details I will promise to take all the snow away for him.

Well I'm disgusted. I've been over to see ex realtives in Wednesbury this afternoon and Sandwell Council haven't even

bothered to grit the A34 even by the Scott Arms, which is one of the busiest junctions in Europe for goodness sake!

Fair does the side roads aren't cleared or gritted but the main roads are a disgrace.

ALL of the gritters in Cumbria are out & about 24/7 when it's like this and what's more every single one of them doubleS up as a snow plough. The farmers keep our roads clear round the village, I know, which helps alot,

but I'm genuinely shocked to see the state of the roads down here after a few inches of snow! It's been relatively warm up to now today, but the temperature is quickly dropping & frozen slush is going to turn into black ice overnight.

Sandwell Council should hang their heads in shame! If I was a shopkeeper I'd be furious, they must have lost loads the last Saturday coming up to Xmas.

I'm fairly sure that although it is technically in Sandwell the A34 at the Scott Arms is Birmingham's responsibility under a cross border agreement

Getting to work was fun. Getting home was strangely less of an issue, but a lot of roads tomorrow are going to be hell, the slush is just going to freeze and it's all over the shop. Walsall town centre wasn't gritted at all it seems which is diabolical.

I'm fairly sure that although it is technically in Sandwell the A34 at the Scott Arms is Birmingham's responsibility under a cross border agreement

Geek. :mrgreen:

It's not some massive oversight. It's just the British climate, we have wet summers and mild winters. We might have a week of extreme snowfall once every two or three years. We could spend the money on permanent staff and equipment to keep it clear, but when the lads who have that for a job dont lift a finger for 18 months because it hasnt snowed, what do we do? Make them redundant?

Make them environmental officer, who jobs would be to also deal with draught in the summer and other environmental issues all year round. Get the binmen drivers a option of driving a plough in the most extreme weathers to keep the roads clear on a competitive overtime rate. I personally think the government could do alot more, for not alot more money. Sitting back and saying its a freak event every years, not going to work. I don't belive we should spend a shedload of money at the problem, but should be more proactive when its occurs.

The next couple of days are gonna be a bitch. Flying out tomorrow and the version of my flight going today was canceled due to the snow; still positive though as there's no snow forecast for Sunday or Monday (until PM). Regardless, I'm sure I'm gonna face sizable delays either way this stage...

My Mum lives just round the corner from the Scott Arms & she's definitely Sandwell. If B'ham council are responsible for their bit of the A34, then they want ripping apart as well. I didn't cross over into B'ham bit as far as I know, so I can't comment but the Sandwell roads like the Newton Road Main StoneCross roads and A34 going up towards Junc 7 of the M6 are simply a disgrace. They must be like an ice rink by now.

Â