maqroll

WC 2018 Host  

105 members have voted

1. 1. WC 2018 Host

• England
    • Spain-Portugal
    • Russia
    • Belgium-Netherlands

Pulling out of FIFA would also almost certainly mean our clubs get booted out of the Champions League and Europa League so again, not ideal.

I'd have absolutely no problem with that. :)

As Villa supporters its not something we need to worry about in the short term :lol:

The BBC Ten 'o Clock news ran a story last night describing how, just moments before the voting began, Blatter urged all members to consider the impact that the accusations of the British Press had had on the dignity of FIFA and its members.

Clearly wanted Russia to win all along.

I think to create a new governing body would be an immense task so very unlikely to happen. Pulling out of FIFA would also almost certainly mean our clubs get booted out of the Champions League and Europa League so again, not ideal.

I'm still fuming about this decision. When you think back as far as our away game in the Caribbean a couple of years ago. That was purely to secure Jack Warners vote. We should cancel the planned away game in Thailand.

I say let the British tabloid press do their worst, they'll all have skeletons in their closets. Lets shame the executive committee and SB into quitting.

If the people who actually care about the game pressurised their respective governing bodies, then surely they have to listen?

We have the evidence how corrupt these buffoons are, so let all themajor federations in europe unite, and ask their clubs to boycott european compititions until they over turn this dodgy decision, the Blatter and the ruling comitee of FIfa resign, and the whole organisation is replaced by a new organisation, where fans have a say, not just the ruling elite!

Trouble is, no one fights anymore. We just accept the immoral and the wrong, and carry on regardless.

Isn't the CL and Europa League UEFA and nothing to do with FIFA?

I'm sure if David Cameron and Price William felt particularly aggrieved at this pleb Blatter undermining them it wouldn't take many phone calls to European states' governments before a new independent European ruling body was announced. The rest of the World wouldn't like to be playing in competitions without European teams so would very quickly be happy to negotiate their own subsidiaries.

Really embarrassing people saying pull out of FIFA and start a breakaway group.

Who else is going to go with you as cant see Germany, France, Argentina, Spain and Brazil going with you. They are among the biggest countries in football and all have members on that FIFA board.

Only 1 country could win and Russia were favourites for along time as they have never hosted it. Many people opinion was decided way before England's presentation and people would be naive if BEckam and Prince William were going to influence Platini, Beckenbauer etc.

I'm sure if David Cameron and Price William felt particularly aggrieved at this pleb Blatter undermining them it wouldn't take many phone calls to European states' governments before a new independent European ruling body was announced. The rest of the World wouldn't like to be playing in competitions without European teams so would very quickly be happy to negotiate their own subsidiaries.

Uefa answer to Fifa, if we wanted to quit Fifa we'd have to quit Uefa. Platini is a puppet of Blatter.

Which countries would pull out?

Germany and France would never pull out as they have lots of power and only nations as aggrieved as England is Italy and probably Spain.

Even if you did create a new governing body - how long until they get corrupt?

power = money - these middle aged businessmen dont give a **** about me or you anymore, look at Wembley.

well for one, you might make it more accountable / electable.

Then maybe we should just look at putting pressure on FIFA to make their decision making process more transparent, and bring in a more democratic system. Not easy, I know, but easier than breaking away into a new organisation and convincing powerful enough countries to make it noticable to join in.

442 have an interesting article

link

If you’re baffled, disgusted or just stunned by FIFA awarding World Cups to Russia and Qatar, here are some stats to put the bidding process in perspective.

3,141,000 tickets will be on sale for the 2018 World Cup in Russia – the lowest of any of the four bids. The projected ticket sales for Russia’s rivals were: 3,304,000 (Holland/Belgium), 3,397,000 (England) and 3,674,000 (Spain/Portugal). The disparity is even more glaring in 2022. Hosts Qatar will have 2,869,000 tickets on sale – a quite remarkable 2,088,000 fewer bums on seats than the USA bid had projected.

£2.4bn is the minimum Russia will need to invest in stadiums. Some pundits say the 2018 hosts will have to invest twice as much again in infrastructure – that would send the total spend soaring over £7bn. The real cost could be significantly higher, given that Russia’s spend on the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics is now £12.9bn over its official budget of £6.4bn. For 2022, Qatar will spend around £1.92bn on construction and renovation and £32.1bn on infrastructure.

Some estimates say the bill for construction and infrastructure for the 2010 World Cup was around £19.3bn. Brazil will probably spend around £27.6bn on 2014. The construction spend envisaged by England’s 2018 bid – around £1.62bn – is small beer in comparison.

If you want to pick a successful World Cup host in advance, the obvious lesson, as Deep Throat urged Bernstein and Woodward in All the President’s Men, is: “Follow the money”. Construction giants like Bechtel might be more appropriate tournament sponsors than Budweiser.

113 is the current FIFA ranking for Qatar.

154 is Russia’s rank on the Transparency International’s index of corrupt nations. (The lower your ranking, the more corrupt you are perceived to be.) This means that Transparency International thinks the 2018 hosts are a bit more crooked than Haiti.

£75,000 is one unconfirmed estimate of how much the Mail on Sunday paid Melissa Jacobs for cooking Lord Triesman’s goose. The paper didn’t instigate the sting. The News of the World had already turned down the story. If anything, the downfall of FA supremo Triesman smacks of the kind of entrapment practiced by intelligence services since the world’s second oldest profession began. Jacobs’ mysterious return from America (where she was being treated for obsessive compulsive disorder) to charm her old boss (who obviously doted on her) and secretly tape him making some injudicious remarks in a patisserie was perfectly timed – for England’s rivals. The revelations broke in May, just before the game’s most influential apparatchiks gathered in Madrid for the UEFA Champions League final.

2 votes for England to stage 2018. Blaming Panorama and the Sunday Times is easy – but stupid. If FIFA’s process in selecting World Cup hosts is valid, the 22 delegates who vote should not resent or fear media scrutiny. It might suit certain FIFA delegates to suggest they are being persecuted by a biased, neo-colonialist British media, but the latest charges against FIFA vice-president Jack Warner surfaced this August in the respected Norwegian daily Dagbladet.

26.6 degrees Centigrade is the predicted temperature on the pitch during 2022 World Cup matches – and that’s with a high-tech cooling system coming to the rescue.

2 World Cup bids were not given an overall ‘low risk’ rating by FIFA’s technical inspectors: Russia (2018) and Qatar (2022). One bid was designated a high risk: Qatar’s.

38 pence. According to the Christian Science Monitor, this is the hourly wage paid to Nepali labourer Rajan Sapkota, one of the hundreds of thousands of foreign workers in Qatar. In contrast, the average annual wage for a Qatari citizen is £52,962 a year, the highest in the world.

Even Miss Marples would not need to get her surgical stockings on to prove that something is very smelly about the two choices

Forgetting the result - we all know it's corrupt and I don't know why everyone was so surprised. I mean - Qatar !, I can actually understand Russia, but bloody Australia must be well peed off !!

Anyway , back to my post:-

I want to say, as

a) A football fanatic

B) A lifetime Labour voter

How absolutely proud I was of David Beckham and David Cameron yesterday.

Beckham - tell you what - I'd have slept with him after that speech - I was in tears ! - the guy is a true gent, a true role model, a true ambassador - and he should be knighted for services to football and charity.

Cameron - I don't care if he is a tory or not - he made me proud to be English. His speech, his manner, his delivery was absolutely spot on in every way.

Can you imagine Gordon Brown standing up there doing that.

We didn't win it - that's another debate - but bloody hell , our guys were good, and they deserve praise.

However, having read a few pages about corruption - can I just point a few things out.

Remember (around the mid-late 90's) Lennardt Johannson went up against Sepp Blatter for the Fifa presidency. Everyone knew then what Blatter was about, and the FA stated publicly they supported Johansson.

Guess which FA changed the mind at the last second to vote for Blatter - I wonder why ?

and then

About 10 yrs ago, when the FA did a deal with Blatter that if Man U quite the FA CUp to play in the World Club Tornament - he would support the bid for the 2006 world cup.

Guess what happened then.

So WE have been just as bloody corrupt in these matters as every other nation. You never know, maybe that was the reason no-one voted - the "he who throws stones" proverb !

Â