maqroll

WC 2018 Host  

105 members have voted

1. 1. WC 2018 Host

• England
    • Spain-Portugal
    • Russia
    • Belgium-Netherlands

OT but a comment on Tim Vickery's blog just got me - tim vickery i assume works in SA for the BBC? the BBC then send out another reporter to brazil to interview someone whilst paying for vickery to go along and translate? anyone else think thats a complete waste of **** money? why not just send vickery to interview him?

as for the blog itself, hard to tell as i doubt anyone at FIFA would ever mention it, it does seem a bit like vickery is trying to use an angle no one else has gone for, if it had gone to holland or spain i think it would carry more weight but i think its down the pecking order of reasons as to why we didnt win (behind FIFA saving the world, the media accusations, the arrogance of our last bid etc)

Warner = pathetic. Surely the only insult is to the people missing out on financial help in football (those on the streets, sunday teams world wide etc) who have lost out as he pocketed any money that came his way. Greedy pathetic rocket polisher.

OT but a comment on Tim Vickery's blog just got me - tim vickery i assume works in SA for the BBC? the BBC then send out another reporter to brazil to interview someone whilst paying for vickery to go along and translate? anyone else think thats a complete waste of **** money? why not just send vickery to interview him?

Vickery lives in Brazil. He is the South American guy on the World Football Phone In.

Vickery lives in Brazil. He is the South American guy on the World Football Phone In.

Thats what i thought, so why do the BBC send over another journo to do an interview whilst vickery translates, why cant vickery just do the interview?

Thats what i thought, so why do the BBC send over another journo to do an interview whilst vickery translates, why cant vickery just do the interview?

The way I read it was that some other company were doing the interview and Vickery was asked to translate. Vickery then used this in his blog.

Once England got knocked out in round 1 , 2 people that had voted 5 mins early for the Holland/ Belgium bid changed their vote to Russia , clearly it was initially a tactical vote to humiliate England

One of the voters ... Platini , Complete word removed

If there were a viable alternative, I think people would leave. You get a break away group of the big "box office" countries like England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Argentina, Brazil and you have a group that others who are sitting on the fence would be happy to join.

Of course, it would make international football shit when you have multiple world championships and lots of people would lose interest in it, but as this would only really serve to make club football stronger then UEFA would be happy to try and engineer it.

A UEFA world championship would be great for them, you could pick any player plying their trade in the country, so England could field torres and drogba up front, versus spain's holy trinity of ladyboyronaldo, Villa and messi.

• 2 months later...

2018 World Cup bid sought Qatar voting deal

England's failed 2018 World Cup bid tried to use the Duke of York's relationship with the Qatari royal family to secure a voting alliance.

Following a freedom of information request, the BBC has learned diplomats and the Football Association worked on a Qatar strategy to help England's bid.

Qatar's own bid for the 2022 tournament event was ultimately successful.

Spain and Portugal were accused of breaking Fifa rules by forming a voting alliance with Qatar.

The emails revealed by this freedom of information request show for the first time the lengths to which England was prepared to go to win backing for its campaign.

Time and again in correspondence from foreign office and embassy officials in Qatar, it was made clear that securing the support of the Emir of Qatar would be crucial to England's chances of success.

A plan was discussed to use the influence of the Royal Family, in particular the Duke of York, to secure a voting alliance between England's 2018 bid and Qatar's own challenge for the 2022 event.

One email said: "The advice from the ambassador in Doha is that, subject to anything that happened at that meeting, we should ask the Duke to be kind enough to speak to the Emir on the phone as soon as is convenient and before 23 April in order to seek his support for the England bid."

It is not known if any meeting or phone call took place.

But in other emails, it was revealed how the Duke of York - the United Kingdom's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment since 2001 - was planning to meet with the Emir's wife Sheika Mozha.

In October, the Emir made a state visit to Britain where it was hoped he would discuss the countries' World Cup bids with the Prince of Wales, though a statement from Clarence House denied that any voting alliance was discussed.

The Duke of York's press office has denied that any lobbying with Qatar was carried out.

The FA has declined to comment on the emails or on its campaign voting strategy, though one source defended the approach saying this was what was needed to try and win.

What this information shows is that while other bids such as Spain and Portugal were investigated by Fifa for voting collusion, England was desperately trying to do its own deals to win the World Cup.

However the tactic was to prove unsuccessful with England gaining only two votes as its bid was eliminated in the first round.

Â