maqroll

WC 2018 Host  

105 members have voted

1. 1. WC 2018 Host

• England
    • Spain-Portugal
    • Russia
    • Belgium-Netherlands

Just posting in one of the two threads to air my absolute dismay.

Qatar? Really? Had we lost to the Americans I would have been disappointed but understood. Qatar is a **** joke.

Same with you dudes, had you guys lost to Spain/Portugal, fair enough I suppose, but Russia?

I can't help but feel the ExCo is going to look very stupid when we get closer to these world cups and some of the dodgy shit that they are getting up to is revealed.

RE- ThunderPower14

I did read that one of reasons FIFA were against Aussies in particular was because Aussie Rules season would have been on same time and FIFA tries to prohibit any other local sports during a World Cup

I can't help but feel the ExCo is going to look very stupid when we get closer to these world cups and some of the dodgy shit that they are getting up to is revealed.

Yeah I would be delighted. **** the Russians.

This is an interesting angle:

The Guardian"]

In a separate development this morning, the minister for sport and the Olympics, Hugh Robertson, told Talksport radio that a rumour in Zurich suggested only three members of the Fifa executive committee had asked to see the technical report on the English bid.

Robertson said: "One of the rumours sweeping Zurich last night was that there are 22 Fifa exco delegates as you know, and the rumour was that only three of them bothered to call for the technical reports and two of those bothered to call for those technical reports so they could release them to their own bid teams. If you have 22 exco members and they're not bothering to read the technical reports, I think that probably tells you it's not a football-based decision."

At a news conference in Zurich Anson, asked if England should bid to host the tournament again, said: "I would say right now, 'Don't bother until you know that the process is going to change to allow bids like ours [a chance] to win. When you have the best technical bid, fantastic inspection visits, the best economic report, and, from what people told us, the best presentation, it's quite hard to stomach that all that seemed to count for absolutely nothing.

The bidding process is ****. I have no complaint with FIFA giving the World Cup to Russia, if they want to take it to a part of the world that has never had it before then that is their right. What I do have a problem with is the bullshit façade that they put out with the bidding process. Okay, its cost us £15m or so in cash and a whole lot of man hours (David Beckham didn't get paid for his time, and there were countless other volunteers making the bid work too) to find out that the whole thing is completely pointless. What is the point in flying all of those FIFA bods over here and giving them a tour of the country and making them sit through presentations if the report they take back to FIFA HQ isnt even going to be read by the people they are writing it for?

The way the venue for the 2026 world cup is selected needs completely revamping. If FIFA persist with this whole system of a bidding process then there needs to be more than 23 people voting. When there are only 23 people voting you can "buy" the World Cup by getting 8 or 9 of them on your side, and as we have seen, the decision on who gets the competition isnt a footballing decision. They should give a vote to every football association so we have 207 people voting, then the bid might actually get decided on merit. If FIFA dont want to do that then they should just announce where the next cup is going to be and save us all from the bullshit that the current bidding process clearly is.

Russia would have been last on my list of preferences for this world cup. Brazil might be interesting for the next. To see Samba football played in its natural environment. England and USA would have been excellent for the next two. England because I'd recognise the stadiums and could easily go over for a game maybe. Ireland could get some of the spillover tourism aswell maybe, if we still have a country at that point. And considering how USA are getting interested in soccer at last, them to get the world cup and progress in it would be very good to watch.

South Africa - Brazil - Russia - Qatar

If the U20 World Cups were being held in these countries, I think there would be complaints, but as it's the real deal, it's the emperor's new clothes nearly.

They should give a vote to every football association so we have 207 people voting, then the bid might actually get decided on merit.
I agree that everyone should have an input into the process, but having a larger list of voters to bribe hasn't helped the IOC avoid accusations around the olympics bidding process.

Bollocks to this, lets invade Switzerland and hang Blatter by his balls from a crane.

Get all those poxy cuckoo clocks and burn them in the street. Lets have a public urinating on swiss cheese event.

At this moment in time, i feel like nuking Geneva, and turning Trinidad into bed of coral at the bottom of the Caribbean.

Im up for a war, whos with me? :lol:

Qatar will mean-

Half empty stadiums

Fans and players hospitalised for heat related illnesses

Constant threat of Islamic militant terrorist attacks

This has calamity written all over it. FIFA is such a joke, I really hope this backfires on them in a colossal way.

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that this thread would have got to 22 pages if we had won 2018 and Qatar had won 2022?

Qatar winning is far more ridiculous than Russia winning. Presumably those calling for the whole of Europe to pull out of FIFA would have been up for solidarity in order to protest against Qatar, had England won their race?

Thought not.

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that this thread would have got to 22 pages if we had won 2018 and Qatar had won 2022?

Qatar winning is far more ridiculous than Russia winning. Presumably those calling for the whole of Europe to pull out of FIFA would have been up for solidarity in order to protest against Qatar, had England won their race?

Thought not.

If we had won then this page would have probably exploded and gone beyond 22 pages.

As for Qatar winning, well, its the same as Russia winning isnt it? It just proves that the bidding process is basically a charade used by FIFA officials to have a bit of a jolly up and make a few quid on the side.

If the story on the previous page is true (23 FIFA officials, 22 of them are not involved in the England bid. Of those 22 only 3 asked to see England's technical report and of the 3 who asked, 2 were involved in rival bids!) then its pretty obvious that FIFA just want to take football to new markets. That's fair enough, if we want football to be a global sport then taking the World Cup to corners of the globe which have never had it is perfectly understandable.

The problem is that the bidding process pretends everybody has the same chance when its blatantly obvious they dont.

As for Qatar winning, well, its the same as Russia winning isnt it? It just proves that the bidding process is basically a charade used by FIFA officials to have a bit of a jolly up and make a few quid on the side.

I'm not disputing that they're both a bit daft - but at least Russia has some elements of logic on its side.

And it was more directed to the nutters suggesting that the whole of Europe should be backing us up when we wouldn't have been fighting Australia or the USA's corner had we won and they hadn't.

Probably not. But then the people calling for all of Europe to pull out of FIFA are hardly anything other than a crazy tiny minority, are they?

Oh, the tiniest of minorities. But it's still a minority that has been shouting a bit on this thread and therefore worthy of a bit of attention.

Maybe. But then this is the internet so you have to take things with a pinch of salt. You get people on this forum who are convinced the BBC hate Villa if they dont show all 90 minutes of our match on MotD and make Lineker, Hansen & co wear claret and blue ties during the analysis!

Probably not. But then the people calling for all of Europe to pull out of FIFA are hardly anything other than a crazy tiny minority, are they?

Oh, the tiniest of minorities. But it's still a minority that has been shouting a bit on this thread and therefore worthy of a bit of attention.

"When you get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig, the pig loves it – and you get muddy."

If you deal with a bunch of corrupt clowns, and then get stiffed by them, and then complain about it afterwards, well....

Maybe. But then this is the internet so you have to take things with a pinch of salt. You get people on this forum who are convinced the BBC hate Villa if they dont show all 90 minutes of our match on MotD and make Lineker, Hansen & co wear claret and blue ties during the analysis!
Well I'd let Lawro off with pink and blue.

Â