Scientific Experiment V3#01-G.Houllier Approval Ratings

bickster

Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager this month?

• Yes
    • No

what an embarrassing poll result so far. edit - in so much as certain people are judging GH far more critically after 5 weeks than they ever did under the previous person. and that's without agbonlahor as an attacking option who was key and a captain in midfield and without milner either. But hey, when you've got an axe to grind you've got an axe to grind so keep on grinding! With a proper push perhaps we can get him out by May and wallow in perpetual antagonistic moaning towards the board!

joy

? Embassassing - why ? For GH perhaps, though I doubt he knows or would be bothered. For those who have answered a simple question - do you currently approve of GH 'No' - what is embarrassing about that ? We haven't scored a goal for nearly a month in the League, and our performances are nothing special.

Axe to grind ? - No. I certainly was a huge MON fan and think we won't get someone as good again, and I think Randy bottled it in the very season we needed one more push. So what ?

It doesn't mean I won't support or applaud the next guy - if he merits it.

To say that about Randy just makes the rest of your comment unreadable.

Hopefully when Houllier wastes money on shit players and then walks out a fw days beofre the season starts he might gain your approval

shocking attitude from Villa fans? on here. Truly shocking.

Why ? Don't you agree he has not invested in players this season ? Don't you accept the Club have said they are reducing the wage bill ? Don't you accept the common view that MON walked because he wanted more spending than Randy was happy for?

I think history will show that, just as Ellis did, Randy stopped spending at exactly the moment we could have broken through.

Got nothing against him, think he's a smashing owner, but I think he blew it this year.

Why is that so shocking an opinion to have ?

Not impressed with Houllier. I did not think we would get 6th again this year and felt somewhere between 7 and 10 would be us but I have to say the feeling is not upbeat around the club, it's like we are stuck in a rut almost and not at all positive. I think we'll struglle thison the evidence of this month.

For me his appointment now looks remarkably like GT mark 2 it just feels awfully similar

I still feel he could do a good job with us.

We have to concede that he is having to utilise someone else's players, and although you could argue that they are still of a very good standard they maybe not the type who suit Houlliers style of play.

He has to be given at least 18 months to build his own team before any major analysis and deductions can be made.

In saying this I voted no for this month. The facts speak for themselves, hardly any points with even less goals.

I hope we are not going to be turned into a negative side!

the only source of negativity I've seen has come from fans.

not from the board, manager or players have I detected any negativity, pure and simple fans.

we're all a bunch of Frasers. DOOOOOOMED!

but that's to be expected.

it seems to me people can look at things in a positive light and the reasonable reasons as to why there are there differences in performances in year to year or one can head in sand ignore everything and insist that progress is always year on year and "who cares if a change in manager after the season had begun and after the transfer window coupled with a caretaker spell of indifference and unprecedented injuries to key players that previously were not there to test previous incumbents, and after having lost another player to another club and who cares if the manager is different to hewhomust notbenamed in style and wants to for some **** insane reason stamp his own **** design on the playing system, and gadzooks! it's not even been done and completed within a marathon 5 weeks! we should have torn asunder all who opposed us - goals should have strewn forth aplenty - regardless and we should be winning 5-0 year on year oh the travesty the travesty, the frenchie is a failure his track record is a facade and his jumping on the touchline borderline nonefuckingxistent. Sunderland with their diabolical home record should have been gazumped no problem as we are undoubtedly superior to arsenal and manchester united poor lepers that they are to the magnifence that is the villa side bequeathed us by the tragically departed HWMNBN and Chelsea - how in blue balls did those impertinent swines betray the claret and blue honour and not pick up 3 points from them. title winners my arse, cockney woodenfooted arseholes more like, disgraceful draw... deepbreath... etc... pause seems my sarcasm meter just exploded. Apologies

or we could just have suffered a couple of injuries to key players and the changeover of style may just take a little while than impatient fans are used to. We're all hungry for success but **** me, hold your horses before the last rites are read of the newborn manager are read. There are more than enough extenuating circumstances as to why this season isn't as great as it might have been, but no, pessimistic woebeus antagonistic capitulation is far more fun.

Watch those skies lads, I think they're going to fall any minute now...

I think we should judge Houllier now. I mean yes MON had 120m and 4 years in charge, but weren't we promised miracles by Rnady and Houllier?

(Yes btw)

100% yes..

How many young players did MON bring through? Yet Houllier has so far played Clark,Bannan and Albrighton...It may well have cost us a couple of results but he is certainly looking after the future of Villa which to me is a great thing.

Not to mention a better NRC and Heskey,2 more players that have looked liked new signings.Plus having to adapt to life without Milner and now Petrov's injury.

Its just a shame Gabby and Delph have been out,with them I think we would be in the top 6..Howerer 3pts behind Spurs aint bad all things considered.

We have

- tired sideways passing Petrov (and now injured)

- calamity Dunne

- get rid of Heskey

- 1 on 5 off Carew

- non-balls Downing

- invisible Sidwell

- unable to pass and shoot NRC

- this is his last season Friedel

- non performing Ireland

- Agbonlahor and Delph injured

while we are trying to change our style of play ...

I wonder, what do we expect? Harry Potter?

I can't say I'm impressed but I'm not disappointed either.

My vote = yes.

I've gone with Yes, because I believe he is still a good manager.

I'm not happy with our team's results and form, but I don't lay the blame for that on Houllier. I think Houllier has shown good tactical awareness, a desire to use our younger players (who saw Clark in midfield against SHA coming?..) and hopefully good man-management skills with his comment about Ireland.

I think when Gabby is back, and we have Delph as an option in midfield, along with hopefully a signing or two of his own we will start to see some better results.

We have

- calamity Dunne

- get rid of Heskey

- 1 on 5 off Carew

- non-balls Downing

- invisible Sidwell

- non performing Ireland

My vote = yes.

Just to point out a tiny fact amongst all this wild ranting
Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier has confirmed that the 39-year-old American goalkeeper will be offered a new contract for next season.

An interesting question would be how many points did we expect from these fixtures?

Wolves (a) 1 point

Spurs. (a) 0 points

Chelsea (h) 1 point

Sunderland (a) 1 point

SHA (h) 1 point (hoped for 3)

That's 4 points, exactly as what we've got now. Without Gabby we lack in attack, and the injury to Sran didn't do us as much good. Its not as if we've just played Wigan, Blackpool, West Ham, west brom and Blackburn at home in thje league and gained 4 points is it?

what an embarrassing poll result so far. edit - in so much as certain people are judging GH far more critically after 5 weeks than they ever did under the previous person. and that's without agbonlahor as an attacking option who was key and a captain in midfield and without milner either. But hey, when you've got an axe to grind you've got an axe to grind so keep on grinding! With a proper push perhaps we can get him out by May and wallow in perpetual antagonistic moaning towards the board!

joy

? Embassassing - why ? For GH perhaps, though I doubt he knows or would be bothered. For those who have answered a simple question - do you currently approve of GH 'No' - what is embarrassing about that ? We haven't scored a goal for nearly a month in the League, and our performances are nothing special.

Axe to grind ? - No. I certainly was a huge MON fan and think we won't get someone as good again, and I think Randy bottled it in the very season we needed one more push. So what ?

It doesn't mean I won't support or applaud the next guy - if he merits it.

To say that about Randy just makes the rest of your comment unreadable.

Hopefully when Houllier wastes money on shit players and then walks out a fw days beofre the season starts he might gain your approval

shocking attitude from Villa fans? on here. Truly shocking.

Why ? Don't you agree he has not invested in players this season ? Don't you accept the Club have said they are reducing the wage bill ? Don't you accept the common view that MON walked because he wanted more spending than Randy was happy for?

I think history will show that, just as Ellis did, Randy stopped spending at exactly the moment we could have broken through.

Got nothing against him, think he's a smashing owner, but I think he blew it this year.

Why is that so shocking an opinion to have ?

Theres no evidence to suggest there was no money to spend in the summer. Only evidence that contradicts that view in fact.

Also, the wage bill was ridiculous. You cant run a club like that unless you want to end up in the shit like Liverpool and Portsmouth have been in recently. I for one dont ever wish to be in that situation.

The point you seem to make is, Randy stopped the spending but all the official comments from the club say the opposite.

We'll never know the truth I guess, so to blame Randy is, IMO of course, stupid.

We have

- calamity Dunne

- get rid of Heskey

- 1 on 5 off Carew

- non-balls Downing

- invisible Sidwell

- non performing Ireland

My vote = yes.

Just to point out a tiny fact amongst all this wild ranting
Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier has confirmed that the 39-year-old American goalkeeper will be offered a new contract for next season.

Briny_ear, I'm aware of that yes. But about that "wild ranting", those are just some of the opinions posted here on VT. And they are not all mine. I think Petrov is OK, Dunne is OK, this season Heskey is OK, Downing is OK, NRC is OK, Friedel is OK and Carew is 1/5 OK.

What I'm trying to say is that according to a lot of posters more than half of our players are far from perfect and still if we are not in top 6 or 10 in the league table then half of the posters vote "no". But I guess we just like to moan.

An interesting question would be how many points did we expect from these fixtures?

Wolves (a) 1 point

Spurs. (a) 0 points

Chelsea (h) 1 point

Sunderland (a) 1 point

SHA (h) 1 point (hoped for 3)

That's 4 points, exactly as what we've got now. Without Gabby we lack in attack, and the injury to Sran didn't do us as much good. Its not as if we've just played Wigan, Blackpool, West Ham, west brom and Blackburn at home in thje league and gained 4 points is it?

11 points

So what games did you expect 3 points Bickster? I was hopeful going into Wolves and SHA, but certainly not expecting. To say that we would win all but Spurs and Chelsea (which presumably we would both draw) is a bit disrespectful to Sunderland who have been as solid as we have at home.

I never expect 3 points in a derby, they are always (with the odd exception) close affairs. 11 points would have been brilliant, but 5 points is not a disaster is it?

i'm not sure what the poll is asking.

If this is a repeat of the monthly polls on MON, then the question was always "should MON stay or go".

if the question in this thread is asking that question in disguise, then my answer is YES.

if the question is am i happy with our results this month, then my answer is NO.

could someone clarify.

I think Houllier has shown good tactical awareness, a desire to use our younger players (who saw Clark in midfield against SHA coming?..

Has he shown this?

We play the exact formation that MON played in preseason and McDonald started the season with. The majority of his subs are like for like and playing no forwards against burnley and going ultra defensive against blues don't strike me as strokes of tactical genius.

He may well be very good tactically but I don't think he's shown much of that yet.

I think Houllier has shown good tactical awareness, a desire to use our younger players (who saw Clark in midfield against SHA coming?..

Has he shown this?

We play the exact formation that MON played in preseason and McDonald started the season with. The majority of his subs are like for like and playing no forwards against burnley and going ultra defensive against blues don't strike me as strokes of tactical genius.

He may well be very good tactically but I don't think he's shown much of that yet.

I agree.

There were times (most of the match) yesterday when Birmingham were basically camped in our half, even when we had a goal kick, because they knew we had no threat going forward. OK they wouldnt have dared to do this should Gabby have been playing, but we didnt do anything to rectify the situation. And because of this we had to bypass the midfield every time to lump it forward to a solitary Heskey.

It looked blatantly obvious to me that we needed someone with a bit of pace to go and sit on the shoulder of the last defender to chase down Heskey's flick ons if nothing else.

I'm fully behind GH but voted no because I don't think the month has been great even with the problems in the squad we've had.

The question is the wrong one.

For me, it should simply be 'is Houllier the right man'.....makes the thing a lot clearer.

i agree, that would make a lot more sense, and people could answer accurately. As it is, i think people are answering different questions to the one posed as it can be interpreted in different ways.

I'm not going to mince my words he has done a shit job so far. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of being at all the league games and apart from an hour against Spurs, 20 mins against Chelsea and half hour against Sunderland the football we have played has been negative crap. Had McCleish not have gone to 4-4-2 yesterday I doubt Houllier would have bothered.

Having said the above it is however early days yet. Things certainly need to improve though and quickly. If he manages to take an established top 6 Premiership team and finish in the kind of position we currently sit I'd **** him off at the end of the season. Hopefully he'll get his act together and we will improve.

Â