• A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 35)
    • Bannan (for Albrighton 81)
    • Ireland (for Petrov 81)

So by the looks of things we are getting better?

I thought we played well today, It's really lucky we have a break though with Heskey and Gabby both out I can't see Carew doing F all for this team now unless he gets a good kick up the backside.

Few times today he could have had a strike on goal but he chose to...erm lose it.

played really well first half, alright 2nd. heskey again while he was on was great. carew was SHOCKING!

also not sure if i heard correct but why was carews name being chanted after albrighton scored?

Friedel - 5

L Young - 7

Warnock - 7

Dunne - 8

Collins - 6

Downing - 5

A Young - 4

Albrighton - 7

Petrov - 8

Reo-Coker - 9

Heskey - 8

Noway in hell I would give Petrov an 8....How many times did he lose his man.

Downing a 5? I thought he played great, he never lost the ball that I can remember and he kept and passed the ball really well.

Reo is MOTM for the Villa by 100 miles, I would have picked Downing next.

NRC was quality today and if only he had someone alongside him that was any good! Ultimatley the difference between the two teams was VDV and he should not even have been playing having signed 2 days after the transfer window! OH well i can take defeat when i see positives and Gerard is learning all the time hopefully when Jan comes he can make the adjustments needed.

Two main turning points. First leaving Cuellar out for Dunne, secondly Carew having to come on for Heskey. Albrighton needs to be subbed about 10 minutes earlier. Sounded a good performance but has a feeling which way it was going to go after we scored and appeared to sit too deep. Also interesteing to hear the Villa commentary as you could hear someone commentating on the game in the background (Tom Ross?) who always managed to describe everything that was happening before Jack Woodward could (good comments from Ken McNaught though).

played really well first half, alright 2nd. heskey again while he was on was great. carew was SHOCKING!

also not sure if i heard correct but why was carews name being chanted after albrighton scored?

Friedel - 5

L Young - 7

Warnock - 7

Dunne - 8

Collins - 6

Downing - 5

A Young - 4

Albrighton - 7

Petrov - 8

Reo-Coker - 9

Heskey - 8

Noway in hell I would give Petrov an 8....How many times did he lose his man.

Downing a 5? I thought he played great, he never lost the ball that I can remember and he kept and passed the ball really well.

Reo is MOTM for the Villa by 100 miles, I would have picked Downing next.

i guess 5 is a little harsh on downing, im just not a fan.

Oh dear big John, that was a desperate showing. And I have to agree with a previous post that a number of Dunne's excellent blocks were down to his initially poor marking. And while I'm off on one, James Collins distribution is pap, long ball guff.

NRC MOM.

Looked good early. Looked a little tired late. Villa played some good stuff out there today though. I have a belief in them and in Houllier. And you know things have changed at the club when the thought of Heskey going down and bringing in Carew causes inner depression and concern.

I think Carew is counting the days until his next team. He was dreadful, imo. Half-assed. The touch line was more active and more effective than Carew and had a better chance of scoring, too. Carew needs a goal GPS system attached to his boot and his head. It's like he truly does not know where the goal is this season.

Petrov works hard and sweats a lot but he's lost a step or two and really can't be counted on in any offensive going forward way.

Thumbs up to Reo-Coker. He does everything he can do at the skill level he has. Tenacious. Would love if he could get a few shots on goal on target to keep the opposition defense in panic mode.

Goodness Heskey works hard! That first goal effort and build up was brilliant. Get well soon, Emile!

Ashley really needs to stop complaining and just play the damn game.

Ireland seems to be the type of player that needs more time on the pitch to be effective. He needs time to read the players and pick out opposition weaknesses. He is not an off the bench impact player. Hope he gets a run in the team in the next week or two.

I really wanted Cuellar to start. No offense to Dunne at all. Just think Carlos is quicker and more agile.

Overall, disappointed in the result but not necessarily in the team's effort.

Two things came out of the game.

1. Houllier has very quickly sussed that Petrov cannot, and could never run past 60 minutes. At the moment (although it will change with experience) Albrighton is the same.

Now unfortunately, he realised 10 minutes too late today, and thus, you can't play Spurs with 9 men and expect to get away with it.

2. Carew - he is finished !. When you know that you are buggered when Heskey goes off - you are in trouble !. The only reason he got on today was due to Gabby's injury. I don't really expect him to feature very much ever again.

Look - we are gonna be inconsistent for a while, disappointing result, but not catastrophic. two away games, 3 points, if we win our home games and do that away, we will finish rather nicely.

He just needs sort this knackered midfield out quickly.

(oh, and because of that, I don't blame Dunne. He had Crouch to contend with, you needed the midfield to pick up the second balls - they didn't. It's too simple to say he should have played Cueller !)

Dunne HAS to be dropped next match.

On today's showing I'd bench Collins and play a Dunne Cuellar partnership.

Agree. Collins got a yellow today but I don't know how he doesn't get at least one every match.

Again very obvious that we're lightweight in midfield and up front. Four new players needed in January, two quality midfielders and the same up front. Until then we can only hope that we stay in touch with the top six.

My prediction before the game was a loss, but i didn't know that they would have huddlestone as a centreback and Defoe not playing.

Makes the result even harder to take.

GH has a massive re-building job to do and with a lot less money than O'Neill had.

I was watching a different game quite clearly. Dunne was great and carried the rubbish James Collins on his back for most of the game

andy are you kidding me?! i see the game at the pub and both goals were dunneys fault. i am a major dunney fan but he had a stinker today. poor postioning for first goal and second one just slid in and got done like a child.poor rah decison making by dunne there

houllier made his first big error dropping carlos. also not having the fonz on the bench was another

i thought carew tried hard but just was given a lack of service today

motm was nrc, he was terrific. winning tackles, intercepting play. well done nige

Hi folks,

Was just wandering what you think of the mighty Cuellar Playing at right back again this season.

I know hes not a natural right attacking full back but he seems to provide us with the following:

- Strong physical presence

- Solid at defending set pieces

- good at attacking from set pieces

- confidence for the rest of the team

- I know he lacks pace, but last season we had one of the best Defences in the league.

- This season it seems as though we have looked more vulnerable defensively when he has not been in the team.

keep the faith!

Just got back from the game so here's my 2p's worth...

Friedel - Did what was required no real chance with either goal......... 6

L Young - Bale didn't get any change from him Rock Solid again....... 7

Warnock - Better than his last few performances ............................ 6

Dunne - Still not at his best but better, at fault for 1st goal IMO .... 6

Collins - Rock solid again struggled with Crouch in the air ............ 7

Downing - Average performance provided some decent width at times 6

A Young - No real threat from Ash, Let down by Carew IMO ............. 6

Albrighton - Usual Excellent 1st half from Marc, Faded 2nd again ........ 6.5

Petrov - Can't see what Stan provides since NRC re-emerged ...... 6

Reo-Coker - One word Immense , Captains armband should be his ... 9

Heskey - Brilliant again until injury - Totally Re-Born ................... 8

Carew - No confidence, Very poor display from the big man ....... 4