• Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 35)
    • Bannan (for Albrighton 81)
    • Ireland (for Petrov 81)

Hi folks,

Was just wandering what you think of the mighty Cuellar Playing at right back again this season.

I know hes not a natural right attacking full back but he seems to provide us with the following:

- Strong physical presence

- Solid at defending set pieces

- good at attacking from set pieces

- confidence for the rest of the team

- I know he lacks pace, but last season we had one of the best Defences in the league.

- This season it seems as though we have looked more vulnerable defensively when he has not been in the team.

keep the faith!

Are you Mad ????

We got one of the best right backs in the league playing there.

Carlos is a CH and should be playing there with Collins at Dunne's expence. If Carlos plays at right back this season at the expense of Young I'll throw my Season ticket in the bin !!

Hi folks,

Was just wandering what you think of the mighty Cuellar Playing at right back again this season.

I know hes not a natural right attacking full back but he seems to provide us with the following:

- I know he lacks pace, but last season we had one of the best Defences in the league.

- This season it seems as though we have looked more vulnerable defensively when he has not been in the team.

keep the faith!

Are you Mad ????

Carlos is a CH and should be playing there with Collins at Dunne's expence. If Carlos plays at right back this season at the expense of Young I'll throw my Season ticket in the bin !!

I really rate Luke Young too its tricky!

You dont rate dunne then - quite a few people thought he was one of the last season best buys ?

Do you think are defence is better so far this year

I think the real different between Villa and Spurs is that they can attract a player like RVDV for a paltry £8m and that's where Houllier will be of real value to us.

Added to that he is getting much more out of some of our existing players. Heskey transformed, NRC becoming a pivotal player for us, Downing now delivering, Luke Young reborn and importantly giving the younger players like Albrighton and Bannan real changes.

The comfort I am taking is that we are not pissing away matches or not turning up as we did too many times under MON. Better still these games ahead of the January window are giving GH a real feel for the gaps we have. I fully expect those gaps to be filled, a striker is a massive priority for us given that Carew is just not doing it for us. The good news GH has the draw to get the right sort of player to sign for us. Come the summer it will be au revoir to a whole bunch of overpaid squad players and under performers which just has to be right.

As for today's game its just that Spurs have that little bit more than us at the moment but that will be changing pretty soon. Yes I am that confident.

Hi folks,

keep the faith!

Are you Mad ????

You dont rate dunne then - quite a few people thought he was one of the last season best buys ?

I do rate Dunne mate.

He had a great season last year alongside Collins. This year he has been well below par. He's been at fault for so many goals and was a complete liability at Newcastle. I rate Carlos (as a CH) really highly and have been campaigning for him and Collins to start together. I thought they were superb against Wolves and felt for Carlos being dropped today. I think Houillier is no mug and sees the game very well. It wont be long before he reinstates the Collins/Cuellar partnership especially after Dunnes poor performance again today. A simlar thing happened to Dunne at Citeh before he joined us. He was player of the season for them the one season and had a complete mare the next witch ultimately (along with the Arabs money) led to his departure.

Thought we were brilliant in spells today, played some lovely, flowing passing football and looked really dangerous. We lacked that killer touch in front of goal and although Dunne made a couple of very good challenges it was a couple of lapses of concentration on his part that cost us the game.

Apart from those lapes and Carew's inability to look up when he's on the ball i thought the team played really well and could have easily come away with a point.

We're playing much nicer football than we have so far this season, long may it continue.

Sorry, but did the people blaming Collins ahead of Dunne for the goals watch the right game? Maybe Collins was out-jumped by Crouch (which I didn't notice tbh), but Dunne was out-jumped by VDV FFS. Collins is a great player, although his long balls were crap on this occasion. Dunne more at fault defensively by far, though.

As others have said, we began to lose the game as soon as Carew came on for Heskey. Let's not forget that Carew had a slow start to last season and ended up joint top scorer, but he was worse than useless in this game.

Petrov and Downing both had good games imo, especially Downing, who is a very very good player, even if the dedicated followers of fashion on VT don't realise it yet. Also thought Ashley Young had a pretty decent game overall.

Gabby for Carew and Cuellar for Dunne and we would have been the better side.

Shocking...same old Villa though.

I'm astonished by that comment. If you think that our performance today in a very even contest away at a team that won a Champions' League game 4-1 last time out and came 4th in our league last year is 'shocking', you don't know much about football.

Sorry, but it's as simple as that.

A good game of premier league footy from two good teams - 2-1 about right because they took their chances, but lots of good signs.

Agreed, I thought we were much better in this game than either game against Spurs last year, then again, I didn't think Spurs played that well, maybe a Euro hangover.

The only difference between two very good sides today was Ashley Young who was garbage - poor touch, poor attitude, poor passing, poor decision making, poor workrate. Come on GH, have the bottle to dump him in the reserves for a few weeks !!!

not on form but still our most dangerous player

I'm struggling to think of much he wrong today. He didn't get the ball enough 2nd half to make an impression.

not sure what dunne was doing for vdv's first goal if he had actually gone for the ball instead of jumping on the spot i dont think vdv could have got that header in

also disappointing that on the winner both young and collins lost the header to crouch and vdv was left pretty much all on his own 8 yards out.

some poor communication and defending high balls, which also seemed a problem last week at wolves where we struggled to clear the ball effectively

The MOTD highlights were very spurs-centric and in reality the game was a lot more even than they showed. We also played some really nice stuff that obviously was inconsequential so not worth showing in the highlights.

Quite surprised more people haven't put Downing as their MOTM. I thought he was excellent today and has been in almost every game so far this season.

I think the real different between Villa and Spurs is that they can attract a player like RVDV for a paltry £8m and that's where Houllier will be of real value to us.

Added to that he is getting much more out of some of our existing players. Heskey transformed, NRC becoming a pivotal player for us, Downing now delivering, Luke Young reborn and importantly giving the younger players like Albrighton and Bannan real changes.

The comfort I am taking is that we are not pissing away matches or not turning up as we did too many times under MON. Better still these games ahead of the January window are giving GH a real feel for the gaps we have. I fully expect those gaps to be filled, a striker is a massive priority for us given that Carew is just not doing it for us. The good news GH has the draw to get the right sort of player to sign for us. Come the summer it will be au revoir to a whole bunch of overpaid squad players and under performers which just has to be right.

As for today's game its just that Spurs have that little bit more than us at the moment but that will be changing pretty soon. Yes I am that confident.

It would be nice to think Houlllier will make the difference that will allow us to get players like Van der Vaart for £8m but I suspect this is dreamland

The MOTD highlights were very spurs-centric and in reality the game was a lot more even than they showed. We also played some really nice stuff that obviously was inconsequential so not worth showing in the highlights.

Quite surprised more people haven't put Downing as their MOTM. I thought he was excellent today and has been in almost every game so far this season.

Thought MOTD showed the game I saw, we really didn't create that many chances.

Hi folks,

keep the faith!

Are you Mad ????

I do rate Dunne mate.

He had a great season last year alongside Collins. This year he has been well below par. He's been at fault for so many goals and was a complete liability at Newcastle. I rate Carlos (as a CH) really highly and have been campaigning for him and Collins to start together. I thought they were superb against Wolves and felt for Carlos being dropped today. I think Houillier is no mug and sees the game very well. It wont be long before he reinstates the Collins/Cuellar partnership especially after Dunnes poor performance again today. A simlar thing happened to Dunne at Citeh before he joined us. He was player of the season for them the one season and had a complete mare the next witch ultimately (along with the Arabs money) led to his departure.

Some good points made.

I think there are some Games that Luke young should play IE the home games as he gives us more creative options going forward.

I also think there are some games when Cuellar should play as a third centre back, more so in the away games to give us that gritty, solid , physical defensive performances that were apparent last season.

Up the VILLA!!!

Hi folks,

keep the faith!

Are you Mad ????

I do rate Dunne mate.

Some good points made.

I think there are some Games that Luke young should play IE the home games as he gives us more creative options going forward.

I also think there are some games when Cuellar should play as a third centre back, more so in the away games to give us that gritty, solid , physical defensive performances that were apparent last season.

Up the VILLA!!!

Hi folks,

keep the faith!

Are you Mad ????

I do rate Dunne mate.

Some good points made.

Up the VILLA!!!

Went down with low expectations so was very pleased with the performance. As well as that Van der Vaart fellow played, the difference between the sides was that they had Crouch up front while we had an ineffective Carew. At one point, while we were on the attack, Carew bent down and started tying his shoelaces!

Thought the away atmosphere was the best for a while, probably because we played so well.

Downing, Reo-coker and Heskey played well and should all be happy with their performances. Albrighton was decent and did well to get the goal. Young was anonymous once Heskey went off.

Carew was epic shit. Couldn't do anything right.

Dunne was at fault for both goals. Was caught out of position, when the diagonal ball goes into crouch the only thing on his mind is putting the ball back across goal and when there is only 1 Spurs player to aim at you expect the Cb to be marking him like his life depended on it. Instead he was ball watching and just continuing with the crap season he has had so far.

I think there are a lot of positives to take from this match. We attacked a team of Spurs caliber and took it to them for about 30 minutes before they even got into the game. The passing and play was great and I think as the Houllier era goes on we'll be able to play like that for entire matches. And there's something to be said for the fact that we didnt go there hoping for a draw like we did last year under MON, instead we played to win and even though we lost I can accept that. Im someone who believes you go for the three points because one isnt much different than zero. Under the MON era we had far too many draws, but hopefully thatll change now. UTV and onward and upwards!!!

Found a lot of stupid posts here, did you all actually watch the game? Spurs are a VERY good team at home, completeley outplayed Man City this season for example. I thought this was one of the best matches ive seen this season and we were great.

We lost the game because of our rather poor attacking, why cant we just buy a damn striker?!, because no one could cope with Crouch in the air and because no one picked up VDV from his attacking midfield position during the entire game. Makes me wonder, did they even check on Spurs matches this season, because thats the way they play........up to Crouch and then VDV pops up when no one is looking for him.

And for those who say Dunne was crap....wtf?! I dont know how many blocks he made that were certain goals, was atleast a couple in the second half and he had a good game. But i do think it was a joke putting Cuellar on the bench after his brilliant performance vs Wolves.

Again Albrighton faded in the second half, so did Downing. I thought Bannan and Ireland were going to come on sooner. Reo was magnificent today also and so was Heskey before his injury. Carew.....sometimes he looks so quick and strong but most of the time like a fat sunday league player.

Â