• A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 35)
    • Bannan (for Albrighton 81)
    • Ireland (for Petrov 81)

- The "Meatball wrappe" I had at half-time. I have never tasted anything so vile in all my life - and the wrap itself was like biting into cardboard. What a waste of £3.60.

At least you got what you ordered; the so called 'last two steak & kidley pies' which your brother and I had turned out to be cheese & onion!!, and were equally shit.

I learnt my lesson years ago about the quality of food offered at Spurs and most London clubs for that matter.

Always a kebab for me at the lane - There's so many Turks down there you can't go wrong.. :winkold:

Lots of positive to be taken from this weekends game away to Spurs even though it ended in eventual lose.

There was an obvious difference in the two teams and that difference was one Rafael Van Der Vaart.

Heskey once again showed he is brimming with confidence and made a big contribution, however once again he showed his tendancy to limp off after a slight knock. You'd have thought given recent performances and reviews the lad would have wanted to run off a dead leg. It a shame Gabby wasn't fit as he would have been far more effective than Mr DEmotivator John Carew, who now seems to just amble around Villa park and yet still get his name chanted.

Villa first half performance was futher highlighted by the fact Old saggyface 'Arry had to go 5 across the middle of the park to get hold of the game again. Not many team will force Spurs in to packing their midfield at Home this season.

Credit where credit is due to Houllier, we had a right go at Spurs and Ashley Young is growing into his freerole behind the striker.

I was disappointed that Dunne and Collins got the nod again, Collins for all his size is terrible in the air, he doesn't jump well and mistimes it most of the time. For me Cuellar has a good leap and is far better and more consistant in the air. I don't know what Dunne is supposed to to when his 6ft 4" defensive partner can't win a header cleanly, Dunne is constantly mopping up and having to react to Collins losing a header or Collins himself misheading the ball in to dangerous areas.

Warnock to should be looking over his shoulder, in a team that play kick and rush Warnock busy style looks good, however in a more compact team moving forward and back as one he looks as though he loses his positioning and concentration. He isn't helped by the fact Downing seems to only track his fullback 50% of the time, where as Albrighton doesn't stop running, a fact shown in the recent game against Stoke, where Downing and Albrighton swap after half time and Suddenly L.Young found himself facing two men as Downing stood for most of the game watching runner go by without an effort to chase back. Anywho, having said that at least he looks a threat with the ball... so a 50% improvement on last season...

Overall though we performed well and would beat most team in the league with that kind of perfromance, not bad for a team that was tipped for a potential relegation struggle... :? Ahem Liverpool.... :lol::lol:

As I suggested though VDV was the difference, what a player and what class he showed on the second goal, the two touches to score where are the highest quality and showed amazing awareness.

Things are definately on the up at Villa, if Houllier continues with this style of football it'll be a pleasure to watch Villa again, even at a=our most successful points under MoN the football was painful on the eye... and the neck... HOOOOOF.

So lets take the many positive from this game, Houllier will spend in January and it looks like MoN will try and take Petrov off our hands as he'll be at Liverpool by then...

We don't need a lot, we have a lot of quality, maybe a bit more dynamism in the middle, a striker how can bring people in to the game AND knows where the goal is and and defender... Essien, Drogba and Agger.... maybe?

- The "Meatball wrappe" I had at half-time. I have never tasted anything so vile in all my life - and the wrap itself was like biting into cardboard. What a waste of £3.60.

At least you got what you ordered; the so called 'last two steak & kidley pies' which your brother and I had turned out to be cheese & onion!!, and were equally shit.

I learnt my lesson years ago about the quality of food offered at Spurs and most London clubs for that matter.

Always a kebab for me at the lane - There's so many Turks down there you can't go wrong.. :winkold:

Theres so many everything down there, something is obviously wrong :lol:

Sorry, Politics lol :oops:

The gap wouldn't have been the problem, It was Collins's in ability to take on Crouch in the air. The only reason I can see why Collins was picked was because of the threat of Crouch in the air and once again he proved to me that although he has a big lad he is slightly better than hopeless in the air. Seriously his positional sense and timing are seriously being calling in to question. Watch how often he misjudges a bouncing ball... its a real worry. Dunne and Cuellar would be far more commanding and dominant IMO.

Petrov, is someone I refuse to mention in posts. For me he is a liability off the ball, he tackling isn't great, his doesn't have the pace or power to bully teams and still doesn't seem to understand what positions a DM should be taking up. I appreciate his ability on the ball, but his passing whilst accurate has become nothing short of negative.

If we could get a player like Witsel or Flamini in to play along side ReoCoker in January then a whole new dimension can come in to play.

Having said that chris, honestly could you have seen Palacios putting away any of those chances? Even Huddlestone or Jenas? VDV was the difference, I'm not saying he won it on his own, but without VDV I think the result would have been different.

Mind you if you've read Mr Kend®icks Birmingham Mail report you'd have thought Villa didn;t get a kick of the ball.

This is the first time I've been on VT since leaving WHL on Saturday.

I've not been so positive after a defeat for a long while. We played really well at times, we just weren't clinical enough with our finishing and they were. That's why they are in the CL and we aren't.

I think some are being harsh on Dunne. Once again he made some brilliant blocks and looked more like the player of last season. For the goals I don't necessarily think it was bad positioning. Crouch's first header went straight to VDV and, if anything, I think Luke could have done better on the line. For the 2nd one Dunne had to attempt to block the first shot and it was clever play from VDV to give him a clear shot at Friedel.

Was really impressed with NRC. I think I read earlier in the thread someone slating A Young. Unbelievable. He is a livewire and he looked dangerous all game long. Heskey was again brilliant before he went off. Really pleased for Albrighton to get off the mark.

The most frustrating thing was conceding the winner after we'd weathered the storm and were having our best spell of the 2nd half!

Kendrick proberly watched it on MOTD :oops:

Dont get me wrong, credit to VDV and defo Man of the match, but like i said, i think we made it easy for him during the second half. Like you, im not knocking Petrov, but you are right about his covering play.

Flamini would be a dream signing imo. He would give us a whole new dimension to our play.

My other worry, is Downing. He did have a good game again saturday, but the system we play requires the wide men to took in when we are defending, and he cant tackle for toffee.

Albrighton is always chopping at your heels, but Downing seems so hesitant. Maybe its me, but thats the impression i get.

Demitri... Young was booked for saying the F word when he was fouled and it wasn't given.

VDV had a foul mouthed rant at the ref 3 or 4 times and got nothing... Home advantage????

Dude, I have a mate in the media who and works for a pretty high profile news agency, the way he understands it Houllier has money to spend in January. I suppose it depend who's availble, we have limited funds so we can't afford to buy stop gaps however haviung said that if Houllier doesn't know of a few diamonds from the last 3 years spendng all his time travelling the world watching youths and visiting training accademies than I don't know who would...

Having said that, I watch the Villa reserves as often as I can, and Gary Gardner last season really, really impressed me. I see no reason why Gary couldn't come in and do a job, he has real energy, isn't affraid of getting stuck in but has real quality on the ball... who knows

Couldn't agree more chris, Downing shows no apitite for the dirty side of the game, almost as if he thinks he's above it... well I've news for him, he ain't good enough to be considered a "luxury player".

If A.Young was slightly lazy I could forgive him... but he isn't he works incredibly hard and thats what our LW is missing and maybe why Warnock looks to shakey this season.

Carew too needs a rocket, lazy yesterday and very, very greedy. Two or three time going for the spectacular when a little bit of awareness would have seen players in on goal... I think that is what Houllier was refering to in his interview.

Phum... I've was a big admirer of VDV on the 606 board, even when we where looking at Sniedjer I wanted VDV.

Brilliant player.

However he would never have come to Villa, he has always maintained he wouldn't leave Real for a team without Champion League football and he was effectively forced out of Madrid by Mourinho, you can still see his finger nail marks on the tarmac out side as Jose put him in his car and sent him packing.

Phum, its the same when we almost sign Bergkamp, Ellise refused to pay Dennis's wages, but Arsenal offered him less and he signed... why? pressumably location, people seem to forget it, even though bodymore is in great surroundings, Villa park and Birmingham has a certain stigma.

Simplistic, methinks. VdV had more space than he could have dreamt of and no marker. I would have stuck NRC on him and just said don't give the lad any space. We would then have had to bring Ireland in to the game and removed one of the wingers with Ash going back out to the left hand side.

Always rated VDV, but then again, i think everybody who knows anything about football have always rated him too.

Would have been an absolute dream signing but obviously he would have never ended up here. But this is the type of world class marqee signing we desperately need. It would give the team and club as a whole such a lift.

Yes i know its not as easy as simply going out and buying a world class player, but i think under the last regime (MoN) we didnt even contemplate making those kinds of signings. You just never know. If you dont ask you dont get.

Maybe, hopefully, under Houllier that will change.

good performancee, VDV was the difference.

heskey was excellent while on, Big John is getting worse by the game, and i'm a Carew fan....

Albrighton was good first half but seems to drift out of each game after about an hour, also Petrov should be replaced when he tires..

but overall a decent performance against the 4th best team in the country AWAY, some positives can be taken and built on

Â