Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to have Ireland, 2 out and out wingers and 2 strikers on the pitch? We need to build the team around him he's class.

He would need one heck of a beast of a CM partner behind him though like a big strong Milner who could tackle well I guess + the wingers need to be decent at tracking back too.

Is it possible to have Ireland, 2 out and out wingers and 2 strikers on the pitch? We need to build the team around him he's class.

Not with our back four mate. That kind of team would need a triangle of two CB's and a DM of Toure or Kompanys qaulity to allow that kind of attack.

I was delighted when he first joined as I really rated him at Man City and thought he was very hard done by to get beaten to the PFA Young Player of the Year award by Ashley Young during that class season he had for them. I said as much on here at the time.

But, as many pundits and former fans warned, he is clearly a troubled character - a loose cannon - and up untill this season he has not only been woeful on the pitch, but a word removed off it too. That hasn't been forgotton.

In saying that, in my mind he deserved one last chance, and he is finally showing glimmers of the undoubted ability he showed at Citeh. The more good things he does, the higher his confidence gets and that breeds further improvements in his performances. And i've got to admit, it was the best moment today when we (the Holte End) sung his name and he clapped straight back, clearly delighted.

He was the sort of player I was hoping would be a massive hit with the fans when he arrived, but a number of circumstances has meant it hasn't happened as of yet. Maybe now Ireland can finally start winning the fans over and living up to the player we thought we were recieving all those months ago.

Thought he was excellent from what i saw. MOM for me. I agree with the previous comment him and N'zogbia could be as good as him and Robinho

thought Young could have been that player last season :(

Young wouldn't pass to him last season, I saw so many instances of it and just couldn't understand it?!!

QPR are after him (no surprise really)

I'd still let him go for what it's worth.

This has to be the worst moment to get rid though. We would hardly recover anything based on his overall form of the past 18 months. He is our only creative spark and just beginning to turn the corner. Who could we get to replace him on the money we would recoup?

Seems to be picking his game up and im pleased.

But...

Is it just a coincidence that Ireland is playing better just as we go into the transfer window? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way., if we could get 6m id probably sell tbh. Just not consistent enough

Sadly I can't get to my seat at VP at the moment, so I have only seen Stephen lately when Villa have featured on TV.

Just watched the AVTV interview with him, very interesting. There has been much talk of 'his head not being right' in the past but this interview showed him in an excellent light. Really committed to the team, enjoying and grateful for his current run, respectfull and thankful to the fans and up for the future. He comes across as a quiet, reserved but very decent young man just like in the Acorns visit feature around Christmas 2010.

I know the fans are starting to really warm to him and Alex McLeish seems to appreciate his qualities. He does seem to be the one young, flare mid-field player that we have at the Club, with incredible natural skill and vision. He seems to really 'coming on track' now and becoming a real asset for the immediate and I hope longer term future. I just hope there is nothing in these QPR/Hughes whisperings.

Not posted in a while but thought I should come back to say that the "One Stephen Ireland" chant from the Holte End was very very much noticed, appreciated and a huge boost.

Yes, it was mentioned on the AVTV post match interview with Ireland too.. he looked like he appreciated the gestures and certainly has 'turned the corner' for a lot of Villa fans.

I just hope he can continue and improve his form and change all the fans minds about him.

He's the only positive from McLeish's reign to date!

If ever there was a player that needs to be loved to perform then its Stephen Ireland, sadly I see little evidence to suggest McLeish is that kind of manager, Houllier certainly wasn't. It would have been interesting to see O'Neill manage him and even more interesting to see what Redknapp would get out of him.

One thing is for certain we will be a far better side with an on song Stephen Ireland than without him.

If ever there was a player that needs to be loved to perform then its Stephen Ireland, sadly I see little evidence to suggest McLeish is that kind of manager, Houllier certainly wasn't. It would have been interesting to see O'Neill manage him and even more interesting to see what Redknapp would get out of him.

One thing is for certain we will be a far better side with an on song Stephen Ireland than without him.

I think the evidence suggests that someone has got him playing well again - whoever that someone is, they desrve congratulations. Personally, I think you're right about Houllier, but surely McLeish deserves some credit for getting to the situation where Ireland has gone from being an unwanted reject to the best player in the team in recent games?