Stephen Ireland

Richard

I don't think it is getting carried away. He's showed similar touches previously, but then been left out of the side again instead of being allowed to get up to speed. OK, he's a bit of a loose cannon off the field, but I reckon THAT performance has been coming. And we all know what a single goal can do for a player struggling to fit in, don't we?

Well done to the lad.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get to see the first half V Arsenal but I'm told Mr Ireland also played well until he got a knock.

You could see the potential in him playing behind the striker as far back as the pre-season friendly V Walsall. Some of his movement and passing was the kind of thing we saw yesterday.

Warnock playing well, now Ireland both kicked into touch by GH and both showing they can play at the highest level. AMC should surely be given a little bit of credit for this.

Never doubted his talent just his perhaps his work rate but yesterday he never stopped running made a load of tackles and at least 5 interceptions, which I never thought he had in him. I quite like him as well, I think its good to have wacky people in the world instead of the boring media trained footballers we are served up.

not sure why people had an issue with ireland's work rate, he always breaks his bollox and never stops running

To me, he reminds me a lot of Carew. How good he is seems dependant on how much he can be arsed on the day.

not sure why people had an issue with ireland's work rate, he always breaks his bollox and never stops running

You've not watched the same games as me then! well maybe work rate isn't the right word, I'd say maybe desire. Anyway I hope he can start performing, we'll see!

watch him closer, as ive said a few times on here when ireland looks out of the game it's not because he's not arsed, it's because there's nobody else on the pitch in our colours even remotely up to speed with him. he makes runs nobody sees, he picks up positions nobody else does, he never stops chasing the ball and he always tries to pick a pass nobody else is able to

I think the reason that some of us are getting "carried away" by his performance yesterday is because we've just beaten Chelsea away for the first time in ten years, and deserved to do so as well.

So I think there's just cause to get carried away. He was pretty much central to most things we did well in that game. He ran the game for us. And as a result, we beat one of the best teams in the league at their ground.

Fantastic performance. I'm not expecting him to do exactly the same against Swansea - and I think people should expect to see such a good performance week in week out (as very few players do perform every time they're on a pitch) - but as long as he keeps showing the same attitude then the fans will get behind him, the team will, the manager will, his confidence will just grow and grow and hopefully consistency will come with it.

Great day yesterday.

From **** all to a goal, an assist and a good committed performance - if we can get him firing like he was at Man City, we could have a hell of a player. If not, he'll just be shit again - but the prospect of having a player of his ability in form is exciting.

You've not watched the same games as me then! well maybe work rate isn't the right word, I'd say maybe desire. Anyway I hope he can start performing, we'll see!

watch him closer, as ive said a few times on here when ireland looks out of the game it's not because he's not arsed, it's because there's nobody else on the pitch in our colours even remotely up to speed with him. he makes runs nobody sees, he picks up positions nobody else does, he never stops chasing the ball and he always tries to pick a pass nobody else is able to

100% agree. Maybe the inability of some of those around him has been a factor. If we had a Cowans type player who could spot the runs and make the killer pass then we would see a completely different Ireland.

100% agree. Maybe the inability of some of those around him has been a factor. If we had a Cowans type player who could spot the runs and make the killer pass then we would see a completely different Ireland.

I felt this with Angel when he first arrived. He was on a different level and the only players that were anywhere near his wavelength were Barry and Solano.

When Ireland was at his best for Citeh him and Robinho worked in tandem. I am really hoping that Ireland, The Zog and Bannan -probably our three most creative players - can start to get an understanding going that will provide the creativity necessary to supply Bent and Gabby with the opportunities.

I felt this with Angel when he first arrived. He was on a different level and the only players that were anywhere near his wavelength were Barry and Solano.

When Ireland was at his best for Citeh him and Robinho worked in tandem. I am really hoping that Ireland, The Zog and Bannan -probably our three most creative players - can start to get an understanding going that will provide the creativity necessary to supply Bent and Gabby with the opportunities.

This

...loved his bits of improvisation, his vision and awareness is commendable too.

I don't think his ability has ever been doubted, its his application that has come in to question.

He is an undoubted talent when he has his mojo going.

lets just hope he keeps it up

keep on smoking baby,

Ps I think the point that he needs players on his wavelength to succeed is vitally important.

That highlight video does demonstrate that at times there were some flicks that were unnecessary - little back heels and flicks that ended up too close to the defender rather than at the feet of the attacker.

But I'd happily let him carry on doing those if he puts in that level of effort and general quality in games. The occasional touch going loose is a small sacrifice for some of the really good things he did - I was actually more impressed with his tackling, hassling and interceptions than his skill on the ball.

Hope he starts tomorrow and shows Villa Park a masterclass. Should get a good reception too after the Chelsea game.

He played great yesterday (although still don't get why he passed to bent...?)

Tbf I was screaming at him to square it for the tap-in when he got away. It would have been a simple open goal roll-in for Bent. The only problem was Ireland played the pass a little too early and it wasnt wide enough either. Therefore Bent still had Cech to beat somewhat. It also wasnt a great finish from Bent, he could have either taken a touch and gone around Cech or could have put some loft on it. He very nearly missed.

But do we care? Do we bollocks :lol:

He played great yesterday (although still don't get why he passed to bent...?)

Tbf I was screaming at him to square it for the tap-in when he got away. It would have been a simple open goal roll-in for Bent. The only problem was Ireland played the pass a little too early and it wasnt wide enough either. Therefore Bent still had Cech to beat somewhat. It also wasnt a great finish from Bent, he could have either taken a touch and gone around Cech or could have put some loft on it. He very nearly missed.

But do we care? Do we bollocks :lol:

He slightly misplayed the pass because he wasn't looking at Bent when he played it. If you look at the replay from behind him when he's through on goal, he was either looking at the ball or the keeper as his head doesn't move. Trying to give Cech the eyes. Just about worked, but I think Cech was expecting it.