Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

My exercise bike should be arriving today. Went for the XeroSport Bluetooth bike. Should be decent enough for what I’ll do. 
Thinking will join up to Zwift, anyone use it? 
Any other spin classes should look out for?

+1 for zwift here; though without going all tech support on you, do you have a link to that bike - couldn't happen to find anything on it with a quick google and I'd be curious to see if it's compatible or if it's locked into its own proprietary system.

There are a few other online/subscription services out there - Trainerroad, Fullgaz, RGT, Rouvy, Sufferfest, Tacx to name a few (I've only used the old Tacx system, with its videos that move at the same pace you're going - plus a really basic zwift style virtual world; and Sufferfest -before it went subscription only- which added a certain sarcastic humour and UCI footage to spin classes).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CardiffGreens said:

do you have a link to that bike - couldn't happen to find anything on it with a quick google and I'd be curious to see if it's compatible

Same. I can't find anything similar to that name.

4 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

+1 for zwift here; though without going all tech support on you, do you have a link to that bike - couldn't happen to find anything on it with a quick google and I'd be curious to see if it's compatible or if it's locked into its own proprietary system.

There are a few other online/subscription services out there - Trainerroad, Fullgaz, RGT, Rouvy, Sufferfest, Tacx to name a few (I've only used the old Tacx system, with its videos that move at the same pace you're going - plus a really basic zwift style virtual world; and Sufferfest -before it went subscription only- which added a certain sarcastic humour and UCI footage to spin classes).

It does link to Zwift, just set it up. 

Link is: 

Bike

Although would help if I’d spelt it right first time round, it’s actually Nero Sport :bang:

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 11:12, mikeyp102 said:

My exercise bike should be arriving today. Went for the XeroSport Bluetooth bike. Should be decent enough for what I’ll do. 
Thinking will join up to Zwift, anyone use it? 
Any other spin classes should look out for?

How are you getting on with this? Looking myself to invest in a bike at home - ankle issues have left me not being up to running so I’m looking at alternatives now for exercise 

having not cycled much before I don’t want to spend up and around the peloton range but happy to spend £500 or so for something that will give me a good workout 

9 hours ago, M_Allback_14 said:

How are you getting on with this? Looking myself to invest in a bike at home - ankle issues have left me not being up to running so I’m looking at alternatives now for exercise 

having not cycled much before I don’t want to spend up and around the peloton range but happy to spend £500 or so for something that will give me a good workout 

Seems a decent enough piece of kit. It comes part assembled and then have to attach some on. Seems a bolt of mine came loose in transit, so the pedal shift is coming off as I pedal. As someone who’s not much into DIY or the like, I don’t have a big enough socket to tighten it up, so got to borrow off the old man. 

Id say for someone to use semi regularly it’ll do the job. 
The seat isn’t the most comfortable but good enough.

Connects to Zwift very easily 

Edited by mikeyp102

On 18/02/2021 at 00:06, TrentVilla said:

Got it this morning, I love it already. I got the new on the Peloton + with the larger screen.

Will let you know how I get on bit it is a fantastic piece of kit.

Great stuff. You probably know this already, but don't go mad on the resistance - you will wreck your knees. It's cardio what gets you fitter .

Enjoy and keep us posted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hippo said:

Great stuff. You probably know this already, but don't go mad on the resistance - you will wreck your knees. It's cardio what gets you fitter .

Enjoy and keep us posted.

Sound advice. It is why I cycle rather than run, the knee’s are already wrecked.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Seems a decent enough piece of kit. It comes part assembled and then have to attach some on. Seems a bolt of mine came loose in transit, so the pedal shift is coming off as I pedal. As someone who’s not much into DIY or the like, I don’t have a big enough socket to tighten it up, so got to borrow off the old man. 

Thanks for the update 

16 hours ago, hippo said:

Spot on IMO. Learn to spin at a highish cadence before pushing bigger gears. In Road Racing , Juniors are/were required to use restricted gears (summat like 53x16). I almost hate to mention this , but Lance was an advocate of using slightly lower gears, particularly on climbs   - but then he had a bit of "help".

• Like 1

So it's been an entire year since I've been on Zwift; gotta say the number of events and suchlike has certainly helped my performance (even if my weight loss is severely hampered by my jaffa cake addiction).  Certainly felt that I've made some decent fitness improvements (though that hour Alpe ascent is still a long way away!) compared to the spin studio stuff I was doing the gym prior to lockdown.  Plus I've managed to get a bit more "technique" (and confidence that my thru axle is going to stay on the trainer!) so near enough doubled my 1-5 sec power for those all important virtual pixel jerseys that no one else is throwing themselves at :P

Just for a comparison, I did the same route I took 1 year ago just to see how I compared (would have been nice not to be toast by the hilly KoM, so was way down on my best time there)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ab02469a5af49a81dcad4ad7a242527e.png

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to be sick from the exertion!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 23:14, mikeyp102 said:

How are you getting on with it so far? Debating whether to get one as I can't justify the prices for premium alternatives. 

17 minutes ago, juanpabloingram said:

How are you getting on with it so far? Debating whether to get one as I can't justify the prices for premium alternatives. 

I haven’t used it loads, but seems a decent enough bit of kit. Seat is a little sore, and it makes a creaking noise occasionally. But for how much I’ll use it, it does the job. Connects easily to Zwift.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Any one watching Le Tour ? To what do you attribute all these crashes (apart from that idiot woman) as there seem to be more than usual. Tips for a winner at this early stage ? Personally , would like Alaphilippe; 'cos he is an ace rider and plays drums !!!

18 hours ago, veloman said:

Any one watching Le Tour ? To what do you attribute all these crashes (apart from that idiot woman) as there seem to be more than usual. Tips for a winner at this early stage ? Personally , would like Alaphilippe; 'cos he is an ace rider and plays drums !!!

Looks like it'll be whoever manages to survive!

The crashes a couple of days ago were just poor planning of the stage. The GC riders were having to be in the mix while the sprinters were pushing up the pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible achievement by Cav to equal Merckx's record and he could well move clear as long as he can make mountain time cuts. Getting 35 wins on the Champs Elysées would be perfect.

The greatest sprinter ever in the sport.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Pog is gonna have to have an incident not to win this year at a canter - totally different level to the rest of them.

The comment from yesterday’s coverage was that he has never been forced to retire from a major bike race. Could be curse of the commentator 😁

Also, apparently he’s only finished outside the top 10 once on a stage race, that was the Tour Down Under when he made his professional debut at 19 and finished 13th. 

• Like 1

Â