Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The comment from yesterday’s coverage was that he has never been forced to retire from a major bike race. Could be curse of the commentator 😁

Also, apparently he’s only finished outside the top 10 once on a stage race, that was the Tour Down Under when he made his professional debut at 19 and finished 13th. 

Like the anti-Richie Porte….

If he is cheating then they need to dial it down a bit because he is so dominant and not just on the climbs. Saying that you have Van Aert who is also doing massive shows of strength which make some of what Sagan used to do positively pedestrian.

3 hours ago, andyjsg said:

If he is cheating then they need to dial it down a bit

He's been a phenom since he was a kid. He has some body type where his recovery from intense exercise is nearly immediate. So he can give it 100% and the next day he's fine again, effectively. 

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

He's been a phenom since he was a kid. He has some body type where his recovery from intense exercise is nearly immediate. So he can give it 100% and the next day he's fine again, effectively. 

Yes I hope so, but cycling will always have the question sadly

• Like 1

I did the climb the TDF are doing right now a couple of weekends ago. It was super hot when I did it to. I had already done it the Romme/Colombiere so this one was probably the easiest of the day.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever used towalong bar (like a trailgator) to connect their kids bike to theirs? The 5 year old is too big for his seat on my bike and can now ride short distances without stabilisers so felt this would be a good step to allow him to join longer rides. 

Quite a few reviews I've seen (about 20%) say they're really unstable and the kids wobble and tilt about all over. 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Has anyone ever used towalong bar (like a trailgator) to connect their kids bike to theirs? The 5 year old is too big for his seat on my bike and can now ride short distances without stabilisers so felt this would be a good step to allow him to join longer rides. 

Quite a few reviews I've seen (about 20%) say they're really unstable and the kids wobble and tilt about all over. 

Not used one but are known to be a bit unstable. Why not just learn your lad down the park rather than ride the streets, they can pick it up and be quite confident in a day. My lad was riding at 4 but still feel it's safer down the parks.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Not used one but are known to be a bit unstable. Why not just learn your lad down the park rather than ride the streets, they can pick it up and be quite confident in a day. My lad was riding at 4 but still feel it's safer down the parks.

He can already ride fine without stabilisers and did a few miles into town and back this morning.

It's more so that he can still join me on a long ride now that he's too big for his seat on my bike. He loves these and I don't want to leave him behind. 

I also collect him from school on my bike and it'd be a shame to have to stop doing this. It's along country lanes (30mph zone but people drive like idiots) and I'd want him connected to me to keep him close. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone got any good cycling holiday recommendations for Jan / Feb, not too far from UK.

Was thinking maybe Tenerife?

I think Grand Canaria is popular with the pros. I think it has more mountain roads than Tenerife. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone got any good cycling holiday recommendations for Jan / Feb, not too far from UK.

Was thinking maybe Tenerife?

Just back from there. In short it's hot (24 C) and very hilly. The roads near the coast are busy but drivers give you plenty of space and generally aren't suicidal with over takes. The climb up Tiede is a beast, you'd need to be in really good condition to get up it. It's something like 50km uphill to the top from the coast. Needless to say I didn't make it. 

For a cycling holiday somewhere like Mallorca is probably better but I haven't done enough of them to compare or recommend. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Got fed up of bikes getting nicked

What lock(s) we're you using? I use two kryptonite locks that would take some amount work to get through. My bike can still be stolen but the risk+effort is less than the reward at the end. 

I see bikes near me locked on the front wheel...one twist of the quick release skewer and three seconds later the bike is stolen and just a front wheel left for the owner. It's a sad indictment of our times but you need to lock your bike up like it's made of gold. 

How have I only just stumbled across this thread? I'm big into cycling myself, raced for the Prison Service in China and Netherlands in international tournaments (World Police and Fire Games) - got a Wahoo Kicker Core and 3 bikes.

Here's the main race bike:-

image.thumb.jpeg.9b9385637fd358af23a5371a45ae851a.jpeg

Although using a Zipp Firecrest 404 on the front and 808 on the back (I'm at work and don't have an up to date pic!) Also into Time Trials too, and although I'm not great my quickest 10 mile TT is just under 25 minutes, which isn't too shabby.

So to the question - cycling holiday for Jan/Feb - Drive yourself down to Grenoble in France and stay there, get yourself up Alp D'Huez as that's in the area, plus there'll be plenty of other climbs in the area to tickle your fancy.

• Like 1

Â