Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

This video shows everything.

Cav came up the inside, Sagan moved over without knowing he was there. Cav then got his left hood stuck under Sagan's arm. Sagan's arm moving was getting untangled which was after Cav was already going down because of his bars being moved when going into Sagan's arm.

Watch the whole thing from further out for context. 

In the build up Sagan is in front, Demare on Sagan's wheel and Cavandiah on Demare's wheel. Demare moves into the space to the right to overtake Sagan, Cavandish follows, staying locked on Demare's wheel. Sagan realises he is being overtaken by the two of them and shoves Cavandish into the hording to take Demare's wheel for himself. Ben Thatcher would be proud of Sagan's efforts :P

Edited by LondonLax

Just now, LondonLax said:

Watch the whole thing from further out for context. 

In the build up Sagan is in front, Demare on Sagan's wheel and Cavandiah on Demare's wheel. Demare moves into the space to the right to overtake Sagan, Cavandish follows, staying locked on Demare
's wheel. Sagan realises he is being overtaken by the two of them and shoves Cavandish into the hording to take Demare's wheel for himself. Ben Thatcher would be proud of Sagan's efforts :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4atl-3Njwg

I have done. Sagan goes for Demare's wheel when Cav had already got it. But there's no way Sagan knows Cav is there. He doesn't shove Cav at all, Cav rides into Sagan. It's Sagan's fault for changing his line, just as it was Demare's fault for changing his line also but got away with it. And it's Cav's fault for not backing off when the gap closed. 50/50 like I said. Watch the video again, Cav instigates the contact, not Sagan. It's only Sagan's mad bike handling skills that kept him upright because Cav had almost pulled him off the side of the bike.

Cav did something similar to Thor Hushovd quite a few years back where Thor ended up in the railings with blood spurting from his arm. Cav didn't get punished at that point so I reckon he knows that these things are quite random. He's also had Mark Renshaw headbutt his way to the front before so he's not exactly a saint. Should Sagan have been punished? Probably. Have the TDF been consistent in punishing sprinters? Nope.

I look forward to more Aru attacks on Sky. I can't help but like the guy - Froome is struggling quite a lot now that he's lost his best man and I can't help but feel it would be good for cycling if someone else won the overall jersey this year.

Im not sure I get the "Cav did this so nothing should happen to Sagan thing". To start I dont think Sagan should of been kicked out of the tour, but alot of blame has been put on to Cav and as far as I can see it was his DS who threw his toys out of the pram, Cav didnt really say alot on the matter.

Aru is a scum bag who doesnt understand the spirit of cycle racing and if he never won another race it wouldnt be too long, I really hope he blows soon and loses his podium.

What a ride by Bardet and Aru. It might not be popular but I can't stand Froome and the way Sky has declined to share blood values. Froome just got absolutely owned by almost all the big guns there. It's good for the sport that Sky can't keep doing what they've done for so many years by throwing so much money at riders.

It would be great for France if Bardet could win this.

Edited by magnkarl

Hmm so dump on sky for an unproved allegation but use Aru as your shining light, I mean Astana have had bans this year....

It seems Sky are another example of a successful British team who get torn down like everything else in this country, the French for example would never do that to their own teams but hey it's a normal thing for this country - we don't like anybody to do well!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Hmm so dump on sky for an unproved allegation but use Aru as your shining light, I mean Astana have had bans this year....

It seems Sky are another example of a successful British team who get torn down like everything else in this country, the French for example would never do that to their own teams but hey it's a normal thing for this country - we don't like anybody to do well!!

It's not about British teams doing well or not. It's about a sport remaining competitive. It's not fun to have 7 years of someone winning like Armstrong did, and it's healthy for the sport and the recruitment if someone can challenge the norm. Sky's money use and double standards with blood values is not okay, there are plenty of British riders that cycle for other teams that I would cheer for before I cheered for Froome. Where did I use Aru as my shining light? You can't be mad about someone French doing well in a race where no French rider has won for almost a generation in Bardet.

Also Sky's majority share holder is Murdoch. I can't stand the man.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

I wanted Cummings to win the stage but no time for either Aru or Bardet, both have form on bad sportsmanship and personally feel Froome has always conducted himself professionally and I think he is a great sportsman who isn't held in high regard because he isn't Bradley Wiggins but as far as tour riding goes a much better GC rider. I like the cyclists and don't give a shit who owns them, at least it gets money into a sport that needs it and deserves it rather than football where 2nd rate players are paid millions.

• Like 2

I wonder how much that final 200m took out of Aru. Froome was knackered too but he's got experience of heavy finishes and doing the same the next day.

Yeah I think sometimes Aru suffers from a case of the Ritchie's, I.e. Look awesome for 2 1/2 weeks then just goes bang. It's happened to Froome before too but not quite so bad. I think Froome though wouldn't be too sad about losing the yellow for a while as it takes the pressure off and as long as he is relatively close he will put serious time into all the other GC guys in Marseille.

i find the form thing interesting too looking at the difference between Quintana and Landa. It's crazy how sometimes the legs just don't work. To be honest it's been the same for me recently where I cycled instead of ran for a few weeks due to injury and I can't even run a 10k at my marathon pace at the moment. I still haven't quite figured out why this happens.

Edited by andyjsg
More

9 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Yeah I think sometimes Aru suffers from a case of the Ritchie's, I.e. Look awesome for 2 1/2 weeks then just goes bang. It's happened to Froome before too but not quite so bad. I think Froome though wouldn't be too sad about losing the yellow for a while as it takes the pressure off and as long as he is relatively close he will put serious time into all the other GC guys in Marseille.

i find the form thing interesting too looking at the difference between Quintana and Landa. It's crazy how sometimes the legs just don't work. To be honest it's been the same for me recently where I cycled instead of ran for a few weeks due to injury and I can't even run a 10k at my marathon pace at the moment. I still haven't quite figured out why this happens.

True that, though through recent years the people who can turn it on all the time have generally been taken out a year or so later for doping. It's good to see that form varies, it just means that the cyclists are much more pure than they used to be.

Ulrich, Armstrong, Millar, Basso, Contador, Mancebo, Landis etc generally could go for days uphill because they were drugged to the hilt. At least Froome showing weakness is sort of proof that he's not on EPO, the same can be said for Quintana. Winning 2 great tours in one year is pretty much impossible now a days unless you are drugged - while it used to be quite common when they couldn't trace EPO.

This does not show that he is not on EPO. It does show that he is not on a high octane EPO program, but micro-dosing is essentially undetectable and that says nothing about all the other peptides etc., based meds that are also basically undetectable.

Given some of Froomes performances, it's a little on the naive side to think that he/sky are clean.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villakram said:

This does not show that he is not on EPO. It does show that he is not on a high octane EPO program, but micro-dosing is essentially undetectable and that says nothing about all the other peptides etc., based meds that are also basically undetectable.

Given some of Froomes performances, it's a little on the naive side to think that he/sky are clean.

Agreed, that is what I feel about Sky too. They've been far too dominant to not have been involved in some dodgy dealings. That Landa ride yesterday looked almost Landis-esque where he didn't even move his face while cycling up the steepest incline of this year's tour. I'm sure sky has skeletons in their closet just like all the other teams, they've just got more money and a bigger apparatus to hide it. They used to have extreme anti-doping guys involved in the team like Boasson Hagen and K. A. Arvesen, but all these people have disappeared since Froome started dominating. 

I'm extremely happy that Bardet and Aru have made it into a race again.

2 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Great day of racing thus far, made it all very interesting for sure

Such a pity we don't see more of this in the tour... giro/vuelta are much more engrossing races in this respect.

I'm really impressed by Matthews and Boasson Hagen. They both remind me a lot of Thor Hushovd when he'd take the green jersey from the pure sprinters by absolutely wrecking them on the intermediary stages. Strong guys.

Â