Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Boasson Hagen or Matthews to take the last stage? My bet's on Eddie. Well done to Froome, Matthews, Barguile, and Yates for their jerseys. Let's hope Porte comes back next year to make it even more of a race.

• 1 month later...

What a brilliant achievement by Chris Froome; surely has to be SPOTY .  That mountain stage on Saturday !! Never seen anything like it, think he was using mtb gearing. Some reports saying he is already eyeing up 2018 Tour de France !! 

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Been cycling around London for an age.

For the majority of that time the major immediate threat has been cars and lorries with pollution being an unknown quantity.

Now it's the state of the roads. They're fecking shocking. Lethal in fact.

Cycled home from Soho yesterday on a route I used for a decade. The roads in some places looked like they'd been shelled. Deep, steep holes down to the cobbles.

Going out of town to non Glamorous Surrey ended up taking a road bike across a field because of parallel cracks running down the road, they were wider than my wheels.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

Been cycling around London for an age.

For the majority of that time the major immediate threat has been cars and lorries with pollution being an unknown quantity.

Now it's the state of the roads. They're fecking shocking. Lethal in fact.

Cycled home from Soho yesterday on a route I used for a decade. The roads in some places looked like they'd been shelled. Deep, steep holes down to the cobbles.

Going out of town to non Glamorous Surrey ended up taking a road bike across a field because of parallel cracks running down the road, they were wider than my wheels.

It's the same up north, too. I've been contemplating getting a mountain bike because the state of the roads and cycle paths are so bad. Apart from the risk of being thrown off, or damage to the bike ( a hybrid) there's the juddering and shock right through my back. Potholes and shagged roads are everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

I hadn't heard Paul Sherwen died until today, very sad. 

Nice push by the Frenchman yesterday to take the yellow jersey on home soil after two days in Belgium.

Is this the year one of the Colombians wins it? I'd like to see it.

The Colombians ! Yep. reckon Nairo Quintana has a good chance. Comes across as being very unassuming and , irritatingly , speaks great English , as do many of the pro cyclists. Alaphillipe , best chance for a French winner for quite a while AND is a drummer in his spare time !!!

• Like 1

Bernal is the big favourite this year. He looks the strongest and was born at altitude. Quintana is too old (forget his stated age, it's a joke) and once paced to win it IMO. Michael Woods is my outsider for a podium.

Edited by villa89

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah, best Tour in years.

By miles. It should be pinot's to win now but you never know how the bodies will react in the third week. I just hope it's close going into Saturday. It would be nice to have a french winner but I wouldn't mind seeing Kruijswjk win. 

Cracking Tour, perfectly set up for a brilliant last week. Wouldn't surprise me to see DQT try something tomorrow, they know they can't do much for JA in the mountains so the slightest sniff of wind tomorrow and I think they'll be all over it. 

Â