Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

3 assists and a goal.

Not bad for a 22-year-old. 

Way too much expectation and far too little understanding. 

Gareth Bale wasn't any more consistent at that age.

Huh? Bale fully established himself in the Tottenham team by 21. Also, Weimann has been consistant...consistantly crap!

I'm not saying Weimann is like Bale or as good as Bale, just pointing out even the best players are not always consistent when they are young.

I remember for a long time Bale was criticised by Tottenham fans. He proved them wrong. Weimann has contributed about as much as any other Villa player this season - 3 assists and a goal - so the criticism lately is weirdly OTT.

I'm guessing he's the new Bannan. Everyone knows he has great ability but he's not performing at a world class level.

I'm not saying Weimann is like Bale or as good as Bale, just pointing out even the best players are not always consistent when they are young.

I remember for a long time Bale was criticised by Tottenham fans. He proved them wrong. Weimann has contributed about as much as any other Villa player this season - 3 assists and a goal - so the criticism lately is weirdly OTT.

I'm guessing he's the new Bannan. Everyone knows he has great ability but he's not performing at a world class level.

Con, please stick to the Barry Bannan thread or one of the Crystal Palace forums.

Thanks.

Yes. They criticised him when he was about 18, not 22. You made the point that Bale was inconsistent when he was the same age, when he got 21 combined assists/goals. Don't move the goalposts now.

Seriously, less stats and more watching football.

Wasn't Weimann the last Villa player to touch the ball before Helenius scored our goal against Sheffield Utd?

He gets involved and makes things happen.

When the confidence of Wiemann, Benteke, Lowton, Delph, Westwood returns the team performances will be even better than last year, I'm sure.

Wasn't Weimann the last Villa player to touch the ball before Helenius scored our goal against Sheffield Utd?

When the confidence of Wiemann, Benteke, Lowton, Delph, Westwood returns the team performances will be even better than last year, I'm sure.

Was he? It was a bit of a scramble.

No he doesn't. I heard his name twice in commentary today. When he gave the ball away twice.

You made a point comparing him to Bale which was shown to be nonsense so you're trying to deflect and change the point. Give it up.

No he doesn't. I heard his name twice in commentary today. When he gave the ball away twice.

You made a point comparing him to Bale which was shown to be nonsense so you're trying to deflect and change the point. Give it up.

The comparison with Bale stands. Tottenham fans didn't want him in the team.

He may be 22 but this is only Weimann's second season.

Rightly or wrongly, he lets the crowd upset him too much. As I've said in a different thread, usually I sit in Upper North but today was in Lower Holte and many times, saw him turn and gesticulate to the crowd slightly, kick the turf after he got an earful and he was sulking. And because he was sulking, he wasn't concentrating, kept getting lost in his thoughts and standing still, letting moves pass him by and making the wrong decision when he did have the ball, which meant the crowd had a go at him and the vicious cycle continued. Now, he's a professional footballer, playing at the highest level so of course crowd reaction is part and parcel of this but at the moment it does seem to have gotten on top of him. Think he needs some time out, to watch some videos of games where he played well and games where he didn't. And then watch live games from the sidelines and think about what he'd do, where he'd go etc if he was playing. Let him analyse a game whilst it's going on without the pressure of the crowd. Although, the way I'm going on, my tactics seem to be resting all of the diminishing front line. :D Bowery, Helenius, Albrighton, Agbonlahor on rotation should be ok for the next few games. :thumb:
completely agree with you. Let him get his composure. He needs to understand the crowd will be fully behind him when he's with them not against them. Deliver and be rewarded - otherwise keep your mouth shut and try 100%. Needs to sit out and get hungry to be on the pitch. Edited by tomh621
  • Like 1

The comparison with Bale stands. Tottenham fans didn't want him in the team.

He may be 22 but this is only Weimann's second season.

Con, you said he was no more consistant at that age so how Bale was doing during his first couple of years at Spurs is of no relevance.

Agree that he needs some time out. I've been so disappointed with him so far this season, considering that, for me, he was one of our stand out performers last season. I really hoped that he'd have pushed on this season and started to better his game and continue the way he was going, but, as much as I don't like saying it, he's been awful. I don't really feel like he's gotten any better since falling out of form. He's shown brief periods in a game where he's been an instrumental part of a good move or chance, but then disappears again, giving the ball away, not controlling, making the wrong decisions etc. He shouldn't be in the starting XI at the moment, for the sake of the team and himself. A spell on the bench will restore his hunger to perform, as trying to play himself back into form doesn't really seem to be working at the moment.

The main thing these two have in common, is their mutual love of the piss - hence the main reason, why one of them was bombed out to Palace and the other one is pissing away his career, up a wall, outside Gatecrasher. Lambo's plan to split the 2 amigos up has yet to come to fruition, hopefully it will soon ?

Ok this guy is never going to be Messi, but shipping out a 22 year old is simply stupid. We have done it so many times before. Cahill, Crouch, Davis, etc.

Players peak and become more consistent around 25. (Normally)

Players go in and out of form. Gabby a couple of seasons ago was dire ( and lazy)( class now though)

We need more creativity in the midfield. Right now there is too much pressure on Weimann to create, defend and score goals.

If he could master all three he would be the worlds best player.

Does anyone think Weimann suffers from Dirk Kuyt syndrome? ie, he does so much running around, that he is actually too knackered to be an attacking threat?

Kuyt never served up performances as inept and inpotent as Weimann's have been this season. Kuyt always offered something to the team, Weimann currently offers nothing.

he needs a break. Get him out of the starting side. Let him sit on the bench and not come on for a few games. Get his hunger back. All too easy for him at the moment.

Does anyone think Weimann suffers from Dirk Kuyt syndrome? ie, he does so much running around, that he is actually too knackered to be an attacking threat?

I think the similarities start and end in that they're both strikers who have, for some reason, been chucked out onto the wings into positions they aren't really suited to.

Â