Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Bit scrappy from FD today but overall he's had a very good start to the season
What? He was decent against blackburn mainly due to then being rubbish and he was poor in every other game and is getting worse each game. He did nothing against wolves and was dreadful today. For me Delph and Nzogbia should be left out of the next game. Petrov should be the one holding player, Jenas the box to box player and Ireland should be the advanced playmaker. Delph adds nothing in the middle at all in my opinion

I don't know why our fans seem to hype up every kid for the sake of it. Delph has no qualities about him whatsoever. He seems rather bland at everything. He doesn't do anything great with the ball such as a killer pass. He's very generic and I don't see any potential from him. Waste of money.

Always raved about the lad and thought he would become a quality player for us. After recent performances, I still think he can get better but maybe not reach the levels I expected previously.

He still has time though and i'd probably play him instead of Petrov.

I think Delph can be a fantastic player BUT only if he is allowed to play as the playmaker. The only time he has been allowed to play this role - against Man U at VP in his first season - he ran the show until they went down to 10 men.

McLeish is currently doing his best to ruin Delph by pushing Stan further forward and asking Delph to play as the DCM. This is not his strength. He needs a ball winner alongside him.

Personally I would love to see:

------------ Clark ------------

---------------- Delph --------

------ SI ----------------------

I think he's trying too hard at times at the moment. That challenge for the penalty was just ridiculous and after such a fantastic save by Shay as well. We can't afford to be gifting teams goals at anytime but particularly during this transitional period, with such a thin squad and with all the middle placed Premier League clubs 'bunching up'. We are rarely going to be in such a comfortable position to give away such a goal. Barry Bannan needs to take care in the penalty area too. On such moments results are decided.

I think he's trying too hard at times at the moment. That challenge for the penalty was just ridiculous and after such a fantastic save by Shay as well. We can't afford to be gifting teams goals at anytime but particularly during this transitional period, with such a thin squad and with all the middle placed Premier League clubs 'bunching up'. We are rarely going to be in such a comfortable position to give away such a goal. Barry Bannan needs to take care in the penalty area too. On such moments results are decided.

Not surprising considering fans are saying "Delph has no qualities about him whatsoever...[he's a] waste of money."

I think people confuse giving the youth a chance as '3 games and if you're shit in one of them **** off out my club you useless word removed'.

Was good against Blackburn but poor otherwise. Needs to be dropped at the moment.

Are we asking to much from the youngsters?

Its common for young players to go through phases, where in on game they are brilliant, but in the next, they are poor. Maybe with the added exposure they will be getting now, we as fans, are guilty of expecting to much from them, hence adding pressure on such young shoulders?

Think he suffers from lapses in concentration sometimes which is something he needs to eradicate from his game. I've seen him play a number of inexplicably poor passes this season which have put us in real trouble but still think he is a good player. Offers a little bit of everything in the middle of the park; likes a tackle, can spray the ball around and is quick enough to beat a man.

The reason why I think Delph hasn't been extraordinary this season is because he plays alongside Petrov. The two don't really compliment each other. Put him alongside a hardworking midfielder and you see the best of him. Last year vs. Bolton at the Reebok cones to mind playing alongside NRC. He was excellent in that fame. Would love to see him play with Jenas in that midfield. But knowing AM, he would rather drop him and keep Stan instead. Sigh.

A lot of negativity, I still think he's a good player and will only get better.

Don't think we currently have any better options to play in centre mid.

Would like to see a combination of: Petrov, Delpth & Jenas (or Ireland).

Was good against Blackburn but poor otherwise. Needs to be dropped at the moment.

Are we asking to much from the youngsters?

Its common for young players to go through phases, where in on game they are brilliant, but in the next, they are poor. Maybe with the added exposure they will be getting now, we as fans, are guilty of expecting to much from them, hence adding pressure on such young shoulders?

To add to CNT's point, we need to remember that Delph has never had a proper run of games at Villa to build up his match fitness, confidence and knowledge of playing in the Premier League. This is his longest run to date, as MON never gave him a regular chance and then he was hit with injury. I think he has the talent and correct winning mentality in his set up, we just need to persevere with him at the moment to get him up to speed.

I do wonder how different his progress would have been under the tutelage of MON.

It would have been non existent i.e he wouldnt have been playing. Apart from the odd sub appearance on 91 minutes to run down the clock.

I do think Delphs game has suffered for the amount of time hes spent either on the bench or on the treatment table. He needs a good run of games to get up to speed, kooks a bit rusty at times. Mind you, at other times he looks very good so there is alot to be hopefull of regardless of lack of match fitness.

Â