Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I thought he was invisible all match imo. There were times when I heard the announcers say his name when receiving the ball, but he didn't stand out in his performance at all. Most of his passes were just square balls or back passes.

You could be talking about any one of Petrovs games for Villa in the past 2 years.

Think Delph will really grow into a great player given a run in the team. I don't think he's ever played two games in a row for Villa yet, so I'll judge him after a run of 10 games, but I think he could be our best player this season.

Ah very true. I hope McLeish will go with a 3 man midfield so Petrov, Makoun, and Delph can get on the pitch which will give Delph a little bit more room to roam and create.

Delph's quality IMO. Petrov needs replacing ASAP, nothing against him personally, just think the guys legs have gone.
Delph is quality based on what? Largely anonymous and does not offer any penetration. Takes too long on the ball and is totally over rated. How he can start a game over Makoun, Bannan or Gardner is totally beyond me. I think he is poor to say the least and offers very little indeed

IMO, he is quality based on what I have seen of him in the last 2 years (most, if not all, of his appearances for us).

He has the confidence and ability to take on players, he can shoot, he has an eye for a pass and he doesn't shy away from tackles (even if he does go a bit 'Paul Scholes' at times).

He has all the qualities that you want in a top class central midfieler. He just needs to get some gametime and start showing ALL of his qualities, instead of one or two dotted throughout 90 minutes.

What makes you think he is 'poor to say the least'?

How many times have you seen him in the last 2 seasons?

Delph's quality IMO. Petrov needs replacing ASAP, nothing against him personally, just think the guys legs have gone.
Delph is quality based on what? Largely anonymous and does not offer any penetration. Takes too long on the ball and is totally over rated. How he can start a game over Makoun, Bannan or Gardner is totally beyond me. I think he is poor to say the least and offers very little indeed

IMO, he is quality based on what I have seen of him in the last 2 years (most, if not all, of his appearances for us).

He has the confidence and ability to take on players, he can shoot, he has an eye for a pass and he doesn't shy away from tackles (even if he does go a bit 'Paul Scholes' at times).

He has all the qualities that you want in a top class central midfieler. He just needs to get some gametime and start showing ALL of his qualities, instead of one or two dotted throughout 90 minutes.

What makes you think he is 'poor to say the least'?

How many times have you seen him in the last 2 seasons?

Agree with you, KHV is being harsh, but imo he's right about Delph not offering enough penetration.

On the other hand, as you say, he does have qualities that you want in a CM - agile, good passer, comfortable on the ball and reasonably reliable in posession.

Thing is you could say the same about most of our midfielders, but now that we've lost AY and SD, penetration is something we're lacking.

I admit I haven't watched FD all THAT closely, but that's my impression. Hopefully he can add the penetration and hopefully also some shooting to his game.

I think he's only going to get better to be honest, will perhaps be the long term replacement to Petrov who's role i really still don't understand.

Petrov needs somebody alongside him who can get their foot in and marshall things. Will Delph become that player, I really don't know.

In my view there are too many players at Villa park who want to be playing alongside somebody....i.e somebody to carry them through.

We are lacking leaders and players who can exert their own authority on a game.

I really do fear for the club at the minute.

Alex McLeish has revealed new fitness coach Adrian Lamb has devised a special individual conditioning programme to try to keep Fabian Delph injury-free.

Delph came through the entire 90 minutes of last weekend’s opening-day draw at Fulham after spending the summer working hard to recover from an ankle problem.

And the former Leeds midfielder has now been given a tailored exercise regime, which spares him some of the team’s heavier sessions, to keep him in top shape.

“As I said a couple of weeks ago, we’re going to manage Delph,” said McLeish.

“The fact he’s had injuries over the last couple of years means we’re just going easy with him just now in the training.

“He’s not going to do the huge big sessions at the beginning of the week when we’re trying to get his fitness and conditioning to a certain level.

“We’re working on him in the gym with a very tough programme whereas the others were out on the field. I think we’re managing it well and I really believe it’s the way forward.”

Lamb, who was recruited from Saturday’s opponents Blackburn during the close season, subscribes to the theory that prevention is better than cure with players’ injuries.

“Adrian Lamb, our new fitness coach, is helping us go down the road of preventative measures to stop injuries,” added McLeish.

“There’s training you can do for that as well, so we’ve got that earmarked. So right now that’s what we’re doing for the likes of Fabian.

“It will help him, absolutely no danger of that.”

clicky

Yes we must hope for Delph to have a huge season for us, it can only increase his value.

That is the trouble for us now though as we develop the younger players and hope they become brilliant for us as it will ultimately result in them leaving the club.

Yes we must hope for Delph to have a huge season for us, it can only increase his value.

That is the trouble for us now though as we develop the younger players and hope they become brilliant for us as it will ultimately result in them leaving the club.

As much as i hate it...you cant deny it Rich. :(

Oh dear god!

Oh dear god!

Something else we cant afford then ;-)

Hopefully our new manager might be able to hold onto our best players for a few seasons longer.

The harsh reality of it all is that we are a feeder club to the top clubs. As much as people paint over it and bitch and moan, this is fact.

It's a case of when...

Â