Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

well its nearly 2 weeks away so maybe the international break will aid his recovery

maybe thats why Roy never called him up to ENgland squad

or maybe it's because he's nowhere near good enough.

He's made some tremendous steps so far this season. Not good enough yet, but he's certainly knocking on the door if not two steps away from doing so. Saying he's _nowhere_ near good enough is far to harsh!

Two shots on target on 3 years... 3 YEARS over 3000 mins of game says otherwise and some people on this thread think he is a CAM and should be playing in behind a front 2. Ridiculous. 

well its nearly 2 weeks away so maybe the international break will aid his recovery

He's made some tremendous steps so far this season. Not good enough yet, but he's certainly knocking on the door if not two steps away from doing so. Saying he's _nowhere_ near good enough is far to harsh!

Two shots on target on 3 years... 3 YEARS over 3000 mins of game says otherwise and some people on this thread think he is a CAM and should be playing in behind a front 2. Ridiculous. 

Just because some (a couple) people think tht, doesn't mean he's not playing well.

But we do have a weird obsession on VillaTalk of wanting to move players.

Delph to play as a CAM. Bacuna to play as an attacking winger. Vlaar to play as a DM.

I remember when Collins first joined (you know, when he wasn't shit) and peope were talking about playing him as a DM.

It's a bit weird that once we find a position where someone is playing well, we seem obsessed with moving them. Surely it should be the other way round?

Anyway, back on topic. Kiwi, I'm not sure where your resentment for Delph compliments comes from, but it's a bit strange.

My opinion, Delph is having an excellent season. He's not good enough for the England team yet but I don't think he's far away from a call up to the squad. He does more in a game for us than Cleverly has done all season, for example. I hope he continues to improve, he could be an excellent player for us.

two shots in three years.. two of those three years injured. I'm one of those wanting to see him in a CAM role and the reason for that is his eagerness to get forward and challenge every defending player. I know that a CAM needs that great vision to find one or two (at least) deadly passes per game and also a player who contributes in the attacking area by either scoring or assisting. But Delph has never got the opportunity to play as a CAM and one game wouldn't hurt would it? If he plays terrible then send him back and just let him play as box-to-box player were he has been brilliant. I also think his not England material just yet but he certainly does more for his club and per game then many of the player who are in the England squad atm. Cleverly a certain one. I'm a big fan of Delph and just want the best for him and would love to see him score as he really have the ability to score som goals!  

Edited by AVFCRAMTIN

Was that the best you could come up with? I'm certain he's having a good season then.

two shots in three years.. two of those three years injured. I'm one of those wanting to see him in a CAM role and the reason for that is his eagerness to get forward and challenge every defending player. I know that a CAM needs that great vision to find one or two (at least) deadly passes per game and also a player who contributes in the attacking area by either scoring or assisting. But Delph has never got the opportunity to play as a CAM and one game wouldn't hurt would it? If he plays terrible then send him back and just let him play as box-to-box player were he has been brilliant. I also think his not England material just yet but he certainly does more for his club and per game then many of the player who are in the England squad atm. Cleverly a certain one. I'm a big fan of Delph and just want the best for him and would love to see him score as he really have the ability to score som goals!  

One of the problems with that is at the moment, CAM does exist as a tactical position. CAM got wiped out by the defensive midfielder.

The defensive mid in turn has got hounded out by the high pressing forwards.

Now what you are left with are deep-lying, creative playmakers (who have the skill to manage the ball in that position), and powerful wingers who exploit the space behind the opposition fullbacks, who push forward to provide an outlet for the crowded midfield.

Delph is a mopper-upper like Ramires, a player with more talent than the traditional defensive midfielder but more athletism than a creative player. His job is to make the midfield crowded but everywhere, i.e. not confined to protecting the centre-backs like a defensive mid.

• Like 1

One of the problems with that is at the moment, CAM does exist as a tactical position. CAM got wiped out by the defensive midfielder.

Now what you are left with are deep-lying, creative playmakers (who have the skill to manage the ball in that position), and powerful wingers who exploit the space behind the opposition fullbacks, who push forward to provide an outlet for the crowded midfield.

Delph is a mopper-upper like Ramires, a player with more talent than the traditional defensive midfielder but more athletism than a creative player. His job is to make the midfield crowded but everywhere, i.e. not confined to protecting the centre-backs like a defensive mid.

I think you make some interesting points in this regard CON and I agree with what you say about Delph but of course there are lots of exceptions. The variety of ways to win is what makes football so much fun.

Off the top of my head I'd say David Silva, Oscar, Mata are attacking midfielders who are not "powerful wingers"

Mesut-Ozil_1681392c.jpg

I think you make some interesting points in this regard CON and I agree with what you say about Delph but of course there are lots of exceptions. The variety of ways to win is what makes football so much fun.

Off the top of my head I'd say David Silva, Oscar, Mata are attacking midfielders who are not "powerful wingers"

Last year Mata was played as a forward, not a CAM.

David Silva usually plays off the wing, not in a Paul Scholes position.

Oscar is probably the closest of the three to that position because he plays in the centre, but he has a defensive side to his game so is nor strictly a CAM, more like a CM.

Arsenal are so dominant in possession and have so many creative players that no player can be left alone. The opposition really needs to double team every player - be it Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carzola, Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott who has the ball. This leaves space for a great player like Ozil to play a more forward attacking midfield role.

Â