Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Working from home still cheers me up, even after 15 months of it. So far today I’ve answered a few queries, updated a document, dropped my daughter off for her first day at work, been to Screwfix, Travis Perkins and Home Bargains, made a tuna sandwich and drank four coffees. 
Might put the gazebo back up this afternoon. This is a rare quiet day but I love how I can actually enjoy the day and get stuff done when my schedule allows. If I was in the office and it was quiet I’d have been bored stupid and still have everything to do tonight. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ve just got back from Fleetwood visiting family. 
Fleetwood was lovely, kids playing on the beach and swimming in the sea.

Went through Blackpool.

This will surprised very few people, but what a **** shithole.

The place was rammed, I mean full on packed. It makes Disneyworld look like a library. It was like the walking dead with herds of people along the entire length of the promenade. Ive honestly never seen so many people in 1 place. It was like the emptying of a football stadium or concert, but for miles.

The missus is going up there for the day/night tomorrow. She’s taking the kids, and her sister and her kids are going. I did say to her “Blackpool”. Proper dive isn’t it. Groups of lads from all over the country walking around with cans at 10 in the morning. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The missus is going up there for the day/night tomorrow. She’s taking the kids, and her sister and her kids are going. I did say to her “Blackpool”. Proper dive isn’t it. Groups of lads from all over the country walking around with cans at 10 in the morning. 

It was everything. A few stag groups, but lots and lots of hen groups, but they were all interspersed with thousands and  thousands of day trippers and holiday makers of every nation you could think of. 
If you wanted a can of Coke you’d have to join a queue of 30/40 people. 
Queues to get into the arcades on the front. 
Queues to get onto the piers.

Honestly, I’ve never seen anywhere as busy in my entire life. (Kinda goes without saying, zero social distancing and about 50% of the people are exempt from wearing masks indoors).

Went to Blackpool 20 years ago for a tame stag do.

The place was so tacky it made my teeth itch and i vowed never to go back 

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Went to Blackpool 20 years ago for a tame stag do.

The place was so tacky it made my teeth itch and i vowed never to go back 

It looks like a fair bit of money has been spent on the promenade and front, but it’s still a dump.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’ve just got back from Fleetwood visiting family. 
Fleetwood was lovely, kids playing on the beach and swimming in the sea.

Went through Blackpool.

This will surprised very few people, but what a **** shithole.

The place was rammed, I mean full on packed. It makes Disneyworld look like a library. It was like the walking dead with herds of people along the entire length of the promenade. Ive honestly never seen so many people in 1 place. It was like the emptying of a football stadium or concert, but for miles.

Me and the missus drove to Blackpool last year, just before the Tiers came into effect. Just wanted a drive out somewhere different. It wasn’t quite as bad as you describe but it was still heaving, no mask wearing and we even saw an anti mask protest while there with some moron spouting rubbish with a megaphone. 

We parked at the far northern side and walked down the sea front, opposite side to the shops, pubs, arcades and tacky rubbish. I braved the walking dead to get some fish and chips which we ate next to the beach in a quiet spot, then walked back and left. It was just as bad as I remember it, a horrible, dirty hole. If that’s the best example of a British seaside resort then no wonder we all fly off abroad. 

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Rhyl: ‘hold my beer…’

Rhyl is indeed **** awful. It’s a shame really as I have fond childhood memories of Rhyl and it’s sparkly clean Sun Centre. I went back for a look 16 years ago and it was all crack dens and boarded up houses. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

If that’s the best example of a British seaside resort then no wonder we all fly off abroad. 

Its weird because whilst it’s one of the most famous, and popular in numbers it’s also one of the worst. So many stunning seaside towns to visit. 

The other thing was the high police presence and ambulances screaming up and down the front. Horrible, horrible town. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its weird because whilst it’s one of the most famous, and popular in numbers it’s also one of the worst. So many stunning seaside towns to visit. 

The other thing was the high police presence and ambulances screaming up and down the front. Horrible, horrible town. 

I agree there’s some beautiful seaside towns in the UK. In a way I’m glad that places like Blackpool, Rhyl and Skegness exist. They draw all the idiots away from the nice quiet places. 

• Like 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

I agree there’s some beautiful seaside towns in the UK. In a way I’m glad that places like Blackpool, Rhyl and Skegness exist. They draw all the idiots away from the nice quiet places. 

Skegness isn’t too bad, I don’t think. You do get a lot of chavs there, but it’s decent enough. 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Skegness isn’t too bad, I don’t think. You do get a lot of chavs there, but it’s decent enough. 

Not as bad as Blackpool for sure. 

I’ve only ever been once, saw two fights and a fat woman being sick on the sand.

It’s the closest bit of coast to me but I’d always prefer to drive a bit further and walk round Flamborough Head, Filey or even Bridlington. 

• Like 1

I suspect that with all the chavvy seaside / funfair resorts that what you are seeing is the Kiss Me Quick chavvy main drag. 

Take a walk 2 miles up the road and I bet its peaceful and lovely. 

But people want peaceful and lovely to be directly across the road from the car parking, good pub, dodgems, and chippy.

Luckily for me, there are 5 beaches within walking distance but the average zombie doesn’t like to venture very far from the car or the Carling. Then they all go home and complain it was a bit chavvy and crowded in the beer garden.

• Like 1

We go to brean quite often. We’d usually sit on the beach and feel sorry for the folk on the other beach just over the water from us, as it looks an awful riff riff place. Someone once told me the name of the place, but it’s escaped me thank god. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We go to brean quite often. We’d usually sit on the beach and feel sorry for the folk on the other beach just over the water from us, as it looks an awful riff riff place. Someone once told me the name of the place, but it’s escaped me thank god. 

Penarth probably.

Absolute weapons.

• Like 1

Had a lovely weekend in Blackpool. The English riviera. Loads of lovely sights and all the people are good honest decent people like me. A jewel in the crown of the British nation. 

Oh... :(

Â