Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Having a 'full house' of last person to post in the Off Topic areas displayed on the main page (not counting site issues or HoF). 

Now to try and one day get Off Topic, Other Football and On Topic all at the same time.... 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Having a 'full house' of last person to post in the Off Topic areas displayed on the main page (not counting site issues or HoF). 

Now to try and one day get Off Topic, Other Football and On Topic all at the same time.... 

When I was living in Vietnam, I could sometimes manage something close to this by posting in the morning. I think you just need to set your alarm for 4AM and hope the Yanks aren't feeling chatty.

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

When I was living in Vietnam, I could sometimes manage something close to this by posting in the morning. I think you just need to set your alarm for 4AM and hope the Yanks aren't feeling chatty.

Tempting, vey tempting. Unfortunately I appear to have kicked a hornets nest in the North American Sports thread as I have literally nothing to post in there and I suspect at least one Yank will try and stop me if I ever do get close. 

• Haha 2

Another solicitor's letter smashed out of the ground for 6

This one was trying to insist that a vehicle's registration number wasn't personal data

An extract from my response

I find it rather strange that someone in the legal profession “suspects” anything as an argument. Your suspicion is incorrect.

I haven’t stated there is no record of the booking, I have stated we cannot locate a booking due to the lack of information provided.

I also find it odd that you are insistent that a VRN of a vehicle is not deemed to be personal data. It is and demonstrably so.

Firstly I draw you attention to a ruling made by the ICO on 17 October 2017 in relation to a FOIA request to the DVLA (Ref: FS50689632) https://ico.org.uk/media/action-weve-taken/decision-notices/2017/2172663/fs50689632.pdf

In point 21 of the ruling, it states “In all cases, the Commissioner concluded that VRNs were personal data
and that disclosure would be unfair and breach the Data Protection Principles.”

Secondly, in case you think this has altered with the advent of the DPA 2018, I draw your attention to a further ruling made by the ICO on 30 October 2020 (Reference: IC-45237-Z3P7) https://ico.org.uk/media/action-weve-taken/decision-notices/2020/2618540/ic-45237-z3p7.pdf

In point 13 of the ruling the ICO’s opinion is reiterated as follows, “The Commissioner wrote to the complainant on 30 March 2020 to provide her initial view. In this response the Commissioner informed the complainant of her established viewpoint on VRNs being personal data, noting the decision notices the DVLA had already drawn his attention to, and advised that she had no remit to assist with his dispute with the supermarket over the provision of the VRN of the vehicle that damaged his car.”

So despite your assertion that VRNs are not personal data, they are and as such that personal data belongs to the driver of the vehicle. We cannot supply those details to a third party without legal compulsion to do so as outlined in my initial response to your request.

It appears to have gone down like a lead balloon. This cheers me up no end

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Another solicitor's letter smashed out of the ground for 6

This one was trying to insist that a vehicle's registration number wasn't personal data

An extract from my response

It appears to have gone down like a lead balloon. This cheers me up no end

Ah, a solicitor using a play from the 'chancing one's arm' playbook, hoping that simply 'being a solicitor' is enough to intimidate a non-solicitor into giving up in a legal situation. Well done :D You'll pass the bar soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BOF said:

Ah, a solicitor using a play from the 'chancing one's arm' playbook, hoping that simply 'being a solicitor' is enough to intimidate a non-solicitor into giving up in a legal situation. Well done :D You'll pass the bar soon.

Thats a generous interpretaion. My take was, doesn't know his arse from his elbow

Just now, bickster said:

Thats a generous interpretaion. My take was, doesn't know his arse from his elbow

That's entirely possible too I agree.  I do think the former is a very fruitful approach for them though when dealing with the public. In general we're terrified of them.

• Like 2

I’ve done tenting weekends, I’ve done VW weekends.

I now do lots of hotel stays, racking up those loyalty points! I get free booze and a room upgrade now when I go to some chains. I think my tent days are long behind me, though I would do a camper van again.

This weekend will be mostly people watching, eating cake because that what life is for, and hopefully picking up a few records.

Oh yeah, and simultaneously stressing like a mad thing and enjoying the football.

• Like 2

Â